Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

schru

Arcane
Figuring out how to keep it from crashing is part of the experience.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The last boss bugged on me and took me three hours as a result. The game crashed so many times I ended up skipping all the nifty side quests people fap about. But fuck man it is Twin Peaks inspired and the Detective aspect is unique as hell.

Fuck...must resist...maybe watch a LP of it...blood pressure will kill me...

Crash

Literate
Loved it. But I also loved Twin Peaks. And I DON'T mind slow driving around in a game where I like the atmosphere. And I have never had any bugs that the Steam version users are always ranting about.

Cons:
- Zombie shootouts - pointless part of the game, doesn't really add anything, feels the same everytime.
- Console graphics - can't even use car's mirrors, sheesh.
Pros:
+ Twin Peak'ish atmosphere
+ Some music is good enough to actually listen to it even after finishing the game
+ Didn't notice any bugs in the non-Steam version, game ran smoothly on my not that new rig

Explorerbc

Arcane
This game was good. It's one of those games that get you involved and leave you a nice after taste as you sit there and watch the credits instead of making you feel like you just finished a chore.

I liked the weird plot and the main characters were memorable. The main theme is also great. The gameplay is bearable, not great but not broken either.

I guess I was lucky because I played the steam version without any fixes and for the most part it worked fine. I only used two fixes for various crashes that appeared later in the game:
-If the game crashes when entering or exiting buildings smoke a cigarette in-game and let the time pass for an hour or two
-Two cutscenes froze and I had to run it in XP compatibility mode to fix it.
My F310 worked from the get-go, dunno if they released a patch for controllers.

The sidequests are not that interesting and I guess you can skip them entirely if you want. I just did most of them to see if I could get some background info on the characters. Some of them do give you useful rewards though like infinite ammo SMG etc, that can help you with the bad action sequences.

Also, if you care about spoilers do not read the collectible cards descriptions. Some summaries read "The Xth victim of the killer [...]" while the character is still alive and a suspect at that point in the game.

Zombra you need to play this.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
SGF really did this game and the zero escape series justice. The D4 LP is also good. Shame he has so few viewers.

I think he probably struggles with depression, hence the very sporadic uploads.

Falksi

Arcane
Crap game but a brilliant experience. I thrived on it overall, even though certain sections were a real slog.

But the atmosphere, vibe & Twin Peaksyness is brilliant. Yeah it's often a bit too much like Twin Peaks, but who wouldn't want to play their own Agent Cooper?

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
SGF really did this game and the zero escape series justice. The D4 LP is also good. Shame he has so few viewers.

I think he probably struggles with depression, hence the very sporadic uploads.
I believe he has no revenue from YouTube, the man just has to work like the rest of us.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
SGF is playing thru the Director's Cut now. Like most people it was SGFs fucking amazing let's play of the original release of the game that got me into it.

EDIT: It also introduced me to SGF himself for which I'm forever thankful.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You can't make this shit up. Japanese developers truly are some of the technically most incompetent ones.
Reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid 2 PC port. That game had zero mouse control, and you had to control the first person aiming using the keyboard. I'd like to remind that MGS2 was released in 2001. I don't think it had any controller support either.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can't make this shit up. Japanese developers truly are some of the technically most incompetent ones.
Reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid 2 PC port. That game had zero mouse control, and you had to control the first person aiming using the keyboard. I'd like to remind that MGS2 was released in 2001. I don't think it had any controller support either.

Sounds like Resident Evil 4 PC port released few years later.
Then they re-released it on PC with servicable mouse aim and new textures that raise requirements a (big) bit...

Ivan

Arcane
More than the sum of its parts, considering it's parts are barely glued together and will most likely require more glue to get it running and chugging along properly.

Francis York Morgan has a supremely satisfying character arc that nearly brought a tear to my eye at the game's conclusion. The character work in this game is very well done. I can only begin to imagine what the team could have done had they had a larger game budget to work with.

Let's get the ugly out of the way: the combat is tacked on, the driving is below average, the Raincoat Killer chase sequences/hiding sequences are repeated over and over again to extend the game's runtime, the game crashed most often during outdoor (rainy) sequences. That said, the title has so much heart that I put up with all of the prior just to see what came next in the story.

I steamrolled through the campaign, ignoring, or rather not even noticing, the side missions. Can anyone comment on how much effort (VO, cutscenes, general laughs) there is to be found in the side content?

PC Version: here's what worked for me: Compatibility mode = Vista Service Pack 2 + Phys X Repair + launching from Exe

Last edited:

distant

Learned
PC version is cooked for me. Kept getting a game breaking bug that halted progress. Couldn't get it to work no matter what (fixes, compatibility) so I just emulated it with rpcs3. Works fine.

Ivan

Arcane
I chuckled every time I had to resort to google to find a fix for specific crashes. And any time there was outdoors section I just had to pray.

Ash

Arcane
If anyone claims this game to be good, I take a mental note that they give zero shits about gameplay in their games, are total weirdos, and write off any future opinion they may have.

If you want weird japanese pyschological horror, there's Parasite Eve, Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Even if the gameplay is amazing in none.

distant

Learned
If anyone claims this game to be good, I take a mental note that they give zero shits about gameplay in their games, are total weirdos, and write off any future opinion they may have.

If you want weird japanese pyschological horror, there's Parasite Eve, Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Even if the gameplay is amazing in none.

Well it's not like anyone is claiming that the gameplay is good. This game is enjoyable because the combination of the story and atmosphere elevate it and make it a unique experience. The inclusion of the RE-ish gameplay apparently was an afterthought and it's obviously the weakest part of the experience. It's possible to think that Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale are both great games.

Also yes. Those three games are really good as well but they don't scratch the same itch that Deadly Premonition does.

Ash

Arcane
I don't consider games where the gameplay is universally considered bad as good games. Good stories, or interesting interactive experiences. Sure. As games they are failures.

distant

Learned
I don't consider games where the gameplay is universally considered bad as good games. Good stories, or interesting interactive experences. Sure. As games they are failures.

Fair. Yeah it's a cool interactive experience. I think the good aspects of this game has more in common with games like Way of the Samurai, Shenmue, which also have weak gameplay loops but are also interesting interactive experiences.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I wonder if anyone else encountered this issue and/or managed to fix it.

The game runs fine for me, but there's no sound in pre-rendered cutscenes. External video players play them with the audio just fine, but the game does not.

I could still play the game and watch the cutscenes outside of it, but constant alt-tabbing can get annoying pretty fast.

Repressed Homosexual

This game is a beautiful work of art. Many people despise it or find it mediocre, but many others find it a unique gem. I'm definitely in the latter camp.

Gaming needs more people that try to make a game that is as original, creative, daring, well written and mystifying all at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom