Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

Vatnik Wumao
Gaming needs more people that try to make a game that is as original
but it's a Twin Peaks ripoff

Worse than that. Deadly Premonition is a rip off of an older PS game never released internationally, Mizzuna Falls, which is also a Twin Peaks rip off. Mizzuna Falls in much more hardcore than DP, since the passing of time actually matters. You can miss vital clues and leads grow cold. It is possible, and most likely on your first playthrough, to fail the investigation.

Repressed Homosexual
Gaming needs more people that try to make a game that is as original
but it's a Twin Peaks ripoff

Worse than that. Deadly Premonition is a rip off of an older PS game never released internationally, Mizzuna Falls, which is also a Twin Peaks rip off. Mizzuna Falls in much more hardcore than DP, since the passing of time actually matters. You can miss vital clues and leads grow cold. It is possible, and most likely on your first playthrough, to fail the investigation.

Mizzurna Falls is better at providing a convincing world and isn't afraid to let the player fail, and is good at creating a tense atmosphere, but after having just completed it, I can say that everything else is much better with Deadly Premonition.

There are so many crucial encounters that are only available for 30 minutes, 1 hour or a few hours, without any clue whatsoever given to the player beforehand. And there are tons of objects important to pick up in an extremely specific timeframe, or conversations to have in a very specific time frame (without missing a single line!)... and if a single one of these dozens and dozens of elements are missed, it becomes 100% impossible to get a good ending.

That's just stupid design. It's a game that is impossible to succeed at without following a thorough guide at every instant.

There also isn't much to do in the game, it is just endlessly driving between countless locations and having some dialogue. I was so fed up of driving at the way to that stupid Church like 30-40 times. What a pain!

Oh, and 5-6 of the absolute worst fights ever with the worst combat system I've ever seen. So laughably bad. I just killed every single enemy with the same strategy of a high kick spammed over and over.

And the cherry on the sundae: I wasn't able to see the ending because one of the last bosses at the very end is invisible on ePSXe with invisible QTE signs! So I just watched the last 20 minutes on YouTube.

Vatnik Wumao
Mizzuna Falls was too ambitious, it stressed the PS to the limit and the super jank is all over the place. The game is also incomplete, the developer was in financial trouble and rushed the game's release because they were going to shut down for good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's got its funny lines but it's even uglier and worse to play with a worse framerate than the original. The dungeons are somehow even more repetitive, the enemy variety doesn't exist and the plot, although fun, doesn't match the quality of the first.

Very much a "only if you really love the first one" game, and even then you might be better off watching or reading a let's play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom