Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadly Premonition is shit (AKA fuck Japanese developers)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Ed123, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    getting the game to run is part of the game's challenge

• Yes Yes x 1
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    The best way to run it on modern PCs is by using the PS3 version with RPCS3.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!

This game is a beautiful work of art. Many people despise it or find it mediocre, but many others find it a unique gem. I'm definitely in the latter camp.

Gaming needs more people that try to make a game that is as original, creative, daring, well written and mystifying all at the same time.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    but it's a Twin Peaks ripoff

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Not really. It uses stylistic elements from Twin Peaks but that is all they are. The game is its own thing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Worse than that. Deadly Premonition is a rip off of an older PS game never released internationally, Mizzuna Falls, which is also a Twin Peaks rip off. Mizzuna Falls in much more hardcore than DP, since the passing of time actually matters. You can miss vital clues and leads grow cold. It is possible, and most likely on your first playthrough, to fail the investigation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Hey guys, fuck Doom. It's just a rip-off of an older PC game called Wolfenstein 3D.

And don't get me started on Doom II.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Mizzurna Falls is better at providing a convincing world and isn't afraid to let the player fail, and is good at creating a tense atmosphere, but after having just completed it, I can say that everything else is much better with Deadly Premonition.

There are so many crucial encounters that are only available for 30 minutes, 1 hour or a few hours, without any clue whatsoever given to the player beforehand. And there are tons of objects important to pick up in an extremely specific timeframe, or conversations to have in a very specific time frame (without missing a single line!)... and if a single one of these dozens and dozens of elements are missed, it becomes 100% impossible to get a good ending.

That's just stupid design. It's a game that is impossible to succeed at without following a thorough guide at every instant.

There also isn't much to do in the game, it is just endlessly driving between countless locations and having some dialogue. I was so fed up of driving at the way to that stupid Church like 30-40 times. What a pain!

Oh, and 5-6 of the absolute worst fights ever with the worst combat system I've ever seen. So laughably bad. I just killed every single enemy with the same strategy of a high kick spammed over and over.

And the cherry on the sundae: I wasn't able to see the ending because one of the last bosses at the very end is invisible on ePSXe with invisible QTE signs! So I just watched the last 20 minutes on YouTube.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Mizzuna Falls was too ambitious, it stressed the PS to the limit and the super jank is all over the place. The game is also incomplete, the developer was in financial trouble and rushed the game's release because they were going to shut down for good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.