Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Ebonsword

Arcane
So again, besides Bloodborne what worthwhile games are we left with?

Dragon's Crown Pro

dragonu2019scrowncoming_770121.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It seems to have an... exquisite artstyle. Is it any good?
Dragon's Crown is a beat-'em-up with additional RPG elements (character progression, character customization, equipment), a distinctive art-style, excellent aesthetic influences, and inspiration from classic '90s Capcom beat-'em-ups particularly the two D&D-licensed games (Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara). The worst aspect of the game is that a single playthrough with one of its six characters requires clearing the same levels multiple times, so you probably need to allow some time to pass before replaying with a different character to avoid fatigue from the repetition.

And it has owlbears!

Art10.jpg

Reinhardt

Arcane
It seems to have an... exquisite artstyle. Is it any good?
Dragon's Crown is a beat-'em-up with additional RPG elements (character progression, character customization, equipment), a distinctive art-style, excellent aesthetic influences, and inspiration from classic '90s Capcom beat-'em-ups particularly the two D&D-licensed games (Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara). The worst aspect of the game is that a single playthrough with one of its six characters requires clearing the same levels multiple times, so you probably need to allow some time to pass before replaying with a different character to avoid fatigue from the repetition.

And it has owlbears!

Art10.jpg
And harpies
art-gnezdo-ptency-malyshka.jpg

and hellhounds

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seen/read about 5 reviews so far. Every single one said "not for everyone" - a disclaimer that always gets my attention. I fucking despise games that are for everyone.

That said, apparently the gameplay is exactly what we've seen. There's nothing more to it. I mean...what. Uh, let's wait and see I suppose.

Also the prologue is apparently even more obnoxious than the one in MGS5. 2-3 hours of watching cutscenes and following tutorial instructions.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
seems like fun artsy title to play once with a deep sale, maybe just for visual aesthetics of it, and production value, etc.

def not something i want to pay $60 for

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Is anyone excited for this shit?
I tend to give all games a chance but this? I don't even know what's the story. Just some guy with a baby, carrying a house on his back while running away on bikes from WW1 ghost soldiers with red eyes/skeletal appearance. Da fack? I know it's an exaggeration but still. Gonna watch a walkthrough first

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
seems like fun artsy title to play once with a deep sale

Except there's this mechanics apparently where all players are somehow connected and you're building the open world together. Or more precisely - bridging the gaps, make some traversals easier, erecting ladders across cliffs, this sort of thing. Soooo....if you wait for a sale and play it, say, in summer the world will be long completed? Or conversely if the game flops and nobody plays it, some passages won't be built and you won't be able to finish them yourself coz the resource cost is tuned for a global community?

This is the problem with those online mechanics, they only work as long as a game is alive but once it's dead they collapse (i.e. the whole sin/arbiter invasion system in Dark Souls etc.).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Eurogamer 'Recommended'
SixthAxis 10
EGM 5/5
Gamekult 9
GameSpot 9
Jeuxvideo 19
EZA 8
Destructoid 8
Game Informer 7
IGN 6.8
USG 3.5/5
GamesRadar 3.5/5
VGC 3/5

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the reviews will likely be all over the place with an artsy game like this.

I actually am moderately hyped coz:
a) a rare instance of a non-cartoony art style therefore no vomit all over my screen
b) story might be pretentious artsy fartsy (more than likely with Kojima) but at least it's not trying to appeal to 10 year olds (or adults who still play with Nintendo)
c) it's something new and original and in my age you start appreciate originality more and more

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
10/10 and 3/10 reviews? Good, it won't be a crowd pleaser. Even if it's a clunky piece of shit or pretentious hackjob, I still prefer having AAA games like this because they're simply different. Pathologic 2 is one of the best games I've played this year after all and it's far from a traditional comfortable entertaining viddya gamez :bunkertime:

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Yeah the reviews will likely be all over the place with an artsy game like this.

I actually am moderately hyped coz:
a) a rare instance of a non-cartoony art style therefore no vomit all over my screen
b) story might be pretentious artsy fartsy (more than likely with Kojima) but at least it's not trying to appeal to 10 year olds (or adults who still play with Nintendo)
c) it's something new and original and in my age you start appreciate originality more and more
Agree. Then a less than stellar review by some journos (see for example IGN) is always a good sign for the quality of the game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some Turkish magazine reviewed it. They liked it a lot but still below older Metal Gears

https://oyungezer.com.tr/inceleme/d...TZyH91UszPRgJ0SYX_PrDP8dzyJB0or5r2Uxr7JkiaolQ

Pros
-Being a delivery man never been this fun
-World itself is beautiful and is an important part of the gameplay.
-Lots of gameplay elements and strategical choices
-Probably the highest level of visuals ever
-Good story and tons of cut scenes (suprise...)
-One of the deeply detailed science fiction you can experience
-Good performance from the cast
-very good soundtrack
-Good "Soulsborne" mechanics, instead of rating messegas from other players you are rating their constructions and made them accessible to all

Cons
-Somewhat a very cold, unemotional game (?!?)
-Hard to bond with the game or characters
-Action parts are mostly same and become boring quickly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom