Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter is Live

Rake

Arcane
Do I consider this pitch horrid, the concept bad and the man behind it arrogant? Yes.

The pitch is much better than Thorvalla's

Man, you must have really hated Thorvalla's pitch.
Eeh, yes? I pledged to Thorvalla, while i have zero interest in Deathfire, but Thorvalla's pitch was an abonination. The concept was interesting, the sale awful. Deathfire's is better (while having some glaring flaws) but the concept just sounds boring (unless you are a blobber fan, but even then M&MX has way better presentation )

Last edited:
Do I consider this pitch horrid, the concept bad and the man behind it arrogant? Yes.

I did hate it. Not because I didn't think Guido would be able to pull it off given the resources, I think he would, but because not everyone thinks as I do and some people need more reassurances than knowing the man and a few promises with shitty drawings and Guido was deluded enough to think that he is better off without providing those reassurances because an idea should be enough to sell itself. Except good ideas are dime a dozen. Everyone has at least one and anyone can make a cheap ass video begging for money for his awesome idea but few have anything more to convince others in your ability to actually pull it off. Guido has plenty of the latter but if he isn't prepared to put that least amount of effort into reassuring people and showing why he is capable of realising His Good Idea (tm), then he can fuck off, really.

I did hope that Thorvalla would fail and it did and I was happy. Because the best he could possibly do under the circumstances was to barely make it to the goal when in fact he could do far better more, raise far more money if he "played" the system. That is far more money that can be spent to make a better game. And I don't want a poor man's game by Guido made scraping the barrel; a likely candidate to be typical European shovelware. I want a proper man's game by Guido done the best way it can be.

Alas, he still needs that clinical report to achieve that.

almondblight

Arcane

Eeh, yes?

Indeed...

Goal seems way too high. Still pledged, hope the German gamers will come through.

I think the card-based combat sounds kind of awesome. Looking forward to what they mean with that.

:hmmm:

almondblight

Arcane
...but the concept just sounds boring (unless you are a blobber fan, but even then M&MX has way better presentation )

Well, it should probably appeal to all the people on the Codex who said "Grimrock was OK, but if it was turn-based, had deeper mechanics, npc interaction, and above ground exploration it would be awesome!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I did hate it. Not because I didn't think Guido would be able to pull it off given the resources, I think he would, but because not everyone thinks as I do and some people need more reassurances than knowing the man and a few promises with shitty drawings and Guido was deluded enough to think that he is better off without providing those reassurances because an idea should be enough to sell itself. Except good ideas are dime a dozen. Everyone has at least one and anyone can make a cheap ass video begging for money for his awesome idea but few have anything more to convince others in your ability to actually pull it off. Guido has plenty of the latter but if he isn't prepared to put that least amount of effort into reassuring people and showing why he is capable of realising His Good Idea (tm), then he can fuck off, really.

I did hope that Thorvalla would fail and it did and I was happy. Because the best he could possibly do under the circumstances was to barely make it to the goal when in fact he could do far better more, raise far more money if he "played" the system. That is far more money that can be spent to make a better game. And I don't want a poor man's game by Guido made scraping the barrel; a likely candidate to be typical European shovelware. I want a proper man's game by Guido done the best way it can be.

Alas, he still needs that clinical report to achieve that.

Hey, wait a minute, you're not Grunker. :hmmm:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
EDIT: Oh, you thought cherry blossom's post was mine? Well allow me an even simpler retort then:

Eeh, yes?

Indeed...

Goal seems way too high. Still pledged, hope the German gamers will come through.

I think the card-based combat sounds kind of awesome. Looking forward to what they mean with that.

Yes..? What's your point? Did you even read the conversation?

Well, I wish you luck.

Still wish him luck.

If I'm interested in a game I frankly don't give a shit about first-day-backer goodies or one tier with a potentially stupid reward.
Fuck that. What I'm interested in is the game, and whether I trust them to make it. The rest is clutter.

You don't seem to get it.

I don't care. You don't care. But some people do. And you and I and Guido depend on these people.

Translation: the pitch is not what makes me pledge.

I have no idea what you're trying to prove here. Thorvalla was an interesting concept, and one that deserved to see the light of day. If you read through the thread, you'll find me increasingly bashing the pitch, talking about how I hope the game succeeds despite Guido's apparant lack of understanding for Kickstarter. Back then I thought he was just wide-eyed. Extremely horrific pitch, honest intentions, interesting concept.

And it was fucking Guido Henkel. Of course I pledged. I even wrote a comment on his Kickstarter urging him to cancel the KS, and come back after more research.

It was during Thorvalla most of us got to see how arrogant a prick he could be, and he displayed a distinct lack of willingness to listen to why his concept might have failed. This pitch shows he has learned very little. Unfortunately.

So yeah, I have no clue what your point is, I've been arguing this from the start.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/deathfire-ruins-of-nethermore/posts/655360
And speaking of the Nether Bursa and the Nethermancer, I wanted to let you all know that we have removed the NETHERMANCER EDITION from our reward tiers. If you’ve been following the comments section, you have probably heard that this reward did not sit well with many backers, as they felt that we were withholding content from all other backers. This was not our intention at all, of course, and therefore, that tier is available no more.

He has seen the light, apparently - perhaps there is yet some hope for this...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I love how RPGCodex is not mentioned in the press coverage list :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D

:D

Alchemist

Arcane
Too little, too late.

Doubt this'll make much difference. We'll see.
At the very least it shows he's willing to respond to criticism and make adjustments - which in turn generates more goodwill.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
EDIT: Oh, you thought cherry blossom 's post was mine? Well allow me an even simpler retort then:

No, but look what he replied to.

ah, makes sense

Too little, too late.

Doubt this'll make much difference. We'll see.
At the very least it shows he's willing to respond to criticism and make adjustments - which in turn generates more goodwill.

I guess... it makes up for little considering this was his only reflection after the Thorvalla campaign:

At this point, however, it has become evident that there is not enough interest in and public support for such a game

Right on, Henkel. It had nothing to do with anything else.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This pitch shows he has learned very little.

The pitch IS much better than Thorvalla's (demands less money, has more of the actual concept to show, has a broad video and detailed text info) yet DOES commit many of the same mistakes (poorly directed Guido talking, no enticement, no drawing on background, no hyping up of the Kickstarters impact, no ackknowledgement of issues raised during Thorvalla campaign, same arrogant attitude). Especially creating togetherness and imparting the importance of WE'RE SHAPING TEH HISTORY TOGETHER has proven to be important in other Kickstarters, and the pitch still falls completely flat there.

What is it that you find so hard to comprehend?

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
So there are only three lucky (and potentially rich) people who will get to play $500 Nethermancer class from start to finish then?

almondblight

Arcane
What is it that you find so hard to comprehend?

That you think making a much better pitch = not learning much? Or that you think that it wasn't Throvalla's pitch that got you to pledge to it and talk about how it sounded awesome, but rather your RPG sixth sense?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you can't accept that I pledged to Thorvalla because the idea sounded neat and I respected Guido and at the same time that I thought the video was crap and the text was completely lacking, then I urge you to seek professional help. Everything must seem like a paradox to you.

Fucking glitter and promises make some people pledge, or promises of the days of yore or whatever. The fundamental truth that you need 20,000+ backers or whatever to reach one million, and that these backers for the most part will not be like codexers (who will measure the gameplay and game concept and decide to pledge) is irrefutable. These backers need to be swooped up, to be part of something, to be told pretty words about how their childhood is being revived or some bullshit. They need to be sold.

If you have trouble handling the fact that I can be nuanced enough to understand that a pitch can be ass because it does not appeal to anyone outside the kernel group of fans of Guido Henkel or whatever and at the same time be interested in the man's idea, then why the fuck are we even having this conversation? Based on your last two or three posts it seems like any semblance of nuance will be lost on you. I shiver to think what horrific emoticon will be your reply to my next argument and how on earth I shall counter it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
lol @ people thinking they're missing out on something if they can't play a Nethermancer.

The pitch has exactly one problem, just like Thorvalla's: not enough to show. Personally I didn't think Guido would dare coming back to Kickstarter unless he has massive ingame footage and possibly a playable demo to show. Seems I was wrong and he's more brave or foolish than that.

almondblight

Arcane
If you can't accept that I pledged to Thorvalla because the idea sounded neat

Nah, I just think it's stupid that you believe the idea sounding neat had nothing to do with the pitch. I'm not saying that it was a great pitch, but it at least got you (and others here) to pledge and get excited about some elements of it.

And yes, I tend to think if someone's second pitch is considered to be much better, it's a decent indication that they've learned something. But I suppose that means I need to seek professional help.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you can't accept that I pledged to Thorvalla because the idea sounded neat

Nah, I just think it's stupid that you believe the idea sounding neat had nothing to do with the pitch.

It got me to pledge because I am a hardcore super-fucking-geeky RPG meganerd who will throw money at just about everything with a bit of credibility that says "turn-based" on the box. I almost pledged to fucking Shaker thinking "well, a shot's a shot, right?" Most backers are - newsflash - not like this.

Jesus christ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom