Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deathlord Relorded!

Sotomonte

Educated
:shredder:

hmm... this is really weird. If I disable the fog of war, I still see a black rectangle above the party... and a weird black square in the bottom right corner

oeie5u3.jpg

Sotomonte

Educated
But don't think too much about this either... if no one else has reported problems, the problem is probably on my side.

We are talking about computers, you know, surely I have something installed (or incorrectly installed) or I have something activated (or deactivated) in the OS that is causing the issue.

:despair:

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
But don't think too much about this either... if no one else has reported problems, the problem is probably on my side.

We are talking about computers, you know, surely I have something installed (or incorrectly installed) or I have something activated (or deactivated) in the OS that is causing the issue.

it seems like it’s a video card problem. Definitely not the line of sight, it’s in the map tile generation. The video card is giving up at some point or something. Never seen artifacts like these before.

Sotomonte

Educated

it seems like it’s a video card problem. Definitely not the line of sight, it’s in the map tile generation. The video card is giving up at some point or something. Never seen artifacts like these before.

It's probably a driver problem. Since I changed to the latest version (the previous ones were more than a year old) I have had some problems... and according to what I read in the optional drivers they are still having problems with the RX 500 series.

Is there any way to make the original graphics screen via F11 bigger?

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
It's probably a driver problem. Since I changed to the latest version (the previous ones were more than a year old) I have had some problems... and according to what I read in the optional drivers they are still having problems with the RX 500 series.

Is there any way to make the original graphics screen via F11 bigger?

yes probably a driver issue. To make the original screen bigger, edit the .conf file and change the apple2 scale to anything you want.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Doesn't run on Windows 7. Lame.

Why is it lame? This is what eventually happens to people who insist on using an end-of-life product. :shrug:
Microsoft killed it after 10 years, which is more than reasonable.
Still running Win7 on an internet-enabled machine is not the best idea anyway (you're not getting OS-level security updates and patches anymore).

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020

Links to the Steam OS stats from my earlier post.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
The game is a modern reskinning of the legendary RPG Deathlord from 1987, which although little known, is famous for its difficulty and incredible dungeon design.

it is widely acknowledged as the hardest RPG ever made, and no one is yet certain they’ve uncovered all its dungeons’ secrets. With the “Relorded” version I remove the gratuitous sadistic parts (like searching for hidden doors randomly succeeding 40% of the time only) and modernize the look and feel with a much bigger viewport, totally new sprites, graphical effects, etc…)

Portraits unfortunately, due to time and resource constraints (game is free and open source), were retrieved from free portrait assets online. There are about 100 unique portraits.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Awesome! thanks so much for your work. :) I'm going to cover this game and LP it for my channel. In the next few days or so i should have episode 1 uploaded and live! (GAMEGODFLUENT on youtube.)

Can't wait! :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you're not getting OS-level security updates and patches anymore

I deactivated automatic updates years before support ended, because it's annoying having to wait for those fucking updates to install before your PC shuts down, and even more annoying to wait for them when it starts up. :M

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Awesome! thanks so much for your work. :) I'm going to cover this game and LP it for my channel. In the next few days or so i should have episode 1 uploaded and live! (GAMEGODFLUENT on youtube.)

Can't wait! :)
Very cool, thanks! Looking forward to it.

Right now I'm tracking down some teleports that don't show up in the "cheat" and that won't save your automap when they trigger. Because the automap saves upon level change, this is something I need to figure out. Shouldn't take too long and I'll upload a new version. It's not an issue to play, just nitpicks to get everything as close to perfect as possible.

Comte

Does anybody have an original deathlord that can be emulated instead of this pozzed version?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
rikkles should get a dev tag imho. Congrats and nice job thus far.
:bravo:

Deathlord mobygames

"Published by Electronic Arts, Inc.
Released Feb, 1988
Platforms Apple II, Commodore 64
Genre Role-Playing (RPG)
Perspective Top-down
Setting Fantasy

hmm their dates.. :/
Deathlord Wikipedia
Released 1987

Deathlord old geocities
Awesome c64 shots site
MOCAGH DOCUMENTATION
Myabandonware
Gamebase c64
Archive 1
Archive 2 save
Deathlord AppleII
GAMEFAQ APPLEII
GAMEFAQ C64

Not bad maps

This site says original release date was 1984 yet screenshot show 87

Deathlord was clearly an interest in Lord British er Richard's Ultima series. And we know what EA does to old IPs.

Last edited:

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Thank you. It is a weird game (1987 is the correct date). Very much looks like Ultima, but battle-wise it’s more Wizardy, and dungeon-wise it’s more Bard’s Tale. Doesn’t have all the spinner and darkness shit of BT, but a ton of hidden doors, teleporters, crazy paths up and down, and most importantly you really need to manage your resources. The dungeons go deep and the monsters are relentless. Be prepared for a war of attrition, not a few battles.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you're not getting OS-level security updates and patches anymore

I deactivated automatic updates years before support ended, because it's annoying having to wait for those fucking updates to install before your PC shuts down, and even more annoying to wait for them when it starts up. :M

Very minor annoyance vs much potential benefit. I do the updates before I turn the machine off at night.

Your machine, your life, but do realise you open yourself up too all sorts of exploits by not updating if your machine has networking enabled. One of the main reasons for me to upgrade last year was because M$ stopped the security updates. A fully up-to-date Win7 is still a 10+ year old codebase, and a *lot* has happened in the last decade in the hacking/exploit space... Statistically speaking, the number of reported exploits on Win10 are drastically lower, about 50% of the Win7 figures.

What you lose is stuff like SecuROM support (who cares, use a NoCD patch), and maybe driver compatibility with some really ancient hardware, but otherwise it's a net win (especially if you're a developer like me, WSL (Windows Linux Subsystem) support is great).

Having said that, I still run Win7 on a separate partition for my audio work, because it's not networked, I'm not installing anything new anyway, and I don't want to reinstall 1000 plugins...

Last edited:

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
I delayed the next release because I'm including real teleportation support for automapping. You'll be able to see where you're teleporting from, and where to. This is going to take a bit more time as I want to make proper visuals for it on the map.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It isn't the only site i've seen that. Everyone else there looked pretty excited with their comments.

Hmmm... I'm sad old geocities and fortune city maps are basically gone:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006071...s.fortunecity.com/cartographics/dl/tmphtm.htm

I recall shard of spring, eternal dagger, wizard's crown, both questrons, legacy of the ancuents, blacksilver, demon's winter, and others on the cartog links. They were c64 maps of the actual terrain. Just bad links now.

the page 2 of death lord has bad links
https://web.archive.org/web/2009080...m/TimesSquare/Realm/4610/deathlord/maps2.html

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Quick question! How do u open closed doors? (S)mash them? (P)ick Lock? I just want to open doors! :P Any help is appreciated, thanks fellas. <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom