Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

kangaxx

Arbiter
Yep, MD. Thanks for the idea but I've already spent some time fiddling with the scaling settings in the nVidia control panel and it didn't seem to help. I'm so stumped that I've actually bothered to approach their tech support... lol.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The constant nighttime in Deus Ex 1 creates an unmatched atmosphere that is only really comparable to VTMB.

Cyberpunk 2077 looks much better at night, graphically. They really should have divided it into zones like Witcher 3 did and had the downtown Blade Runner areas be constantly nighttime. The badlands could have been daytime and maybe sunset for the industrial area, something like that.

If you tolerate HR, MD is more of the same and while at first, you will miss globe hopping, because they only made a single hub, Prague is actually alot more detailed than Detroit and Shangai. The story is as shitty if not more as there is zero interesting characters, I played this game for dozens of hours and I cant remember the name of the Task Force 29 director and the main villain leader for example, they are that remarkable but exploring Prague alone was enough for me.
understandable, since marchenko, the villain, has about 3 minutes of exposure in the whole game. one dialogue, one monologue and a pre-final fight banter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The main villain or whatever is really Bob Page and MJ-12 manipulating shit from behind the curtain, but yes the game needed a better "face" on that. One of its handful of story issues.

Old Hans

Arcane
The main villain or whatever is really Bob Page and MJ-12 manipulating shit from behind the curtain, but yes the game needed a better "face" on that. One of its handful of story issues.
14c.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished Mankind Divided and I guess I had enough Deus Ex for a couple of years :)

It's absolutely mindblowing how they could not do a story worth a shit. They copied Ghost in the Shell, they copied Total Recall and in the end they left the story unfinished.

Mechanically it's better than DX: HR but overall I had more fun with HR.

Some retarded pictures below.

She just described the Corona vaccine :)
A7981B251E02CEA875F9A00ADD4D2EED92E0B4CC

I found this line funny but I think it was just boredom taking over.
40B8993E498B3909F252C61B7FD7C3E57B65135F

Garm was interesting.
CBAB3A0220BC7C7799414BCC0E4DF14E7DD8ED83

Very realistic Danube in Prague ... not.
947C4E6EE16BFEB63BE9B19E938007FF329CD1D9

didn't really understand the hate for this game, I thought it was pretty decent
becuse it's clearly a butchered product. base mechanics are enjoyable at first but get repetitive once you stop thinking about doing stuff and start thinking "per blocks". probably the issue here is the sticky cover. the city is much smaller than it seems, it has a metro stop every 100m, yet it's been cut in two parts for no discernible reason other than "we went just slightly overboard and consoles can't keep up", worsened, made unbearable, by the fact that almost every quest takes place on both maps, forcing to travel back and forth, sometimes multiple times. backtracking is the worst way to stretch a game. "the spy" is introduced as if it was going to be a pressing matter but instead you speak to her twice. the main villain has 3 minutes in all. your main ally is a traitor and you side with her, instead of siding with the people who were just willing to give their lives for you, just because. inventory management is irritating. ergenerating energy makes the game trivial. having at least half of the available xp available to you up for grabs after the tutorial mission is idiotic. the ending is a cliffhanger.

as you can see, there's so much to hate in this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They shouldn't have given out Praxis kits for XP, only by exploration. That would've curbed the ridiculous power creep.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
5 lines "too long". "disagree" about facts. retards. retards everywhere.

Whoa, calm down. I don't disagree with the facts, the game definitely has some issues, and a big chunk of content was clearly cut out. I just don't agree with the conclusion that it's "butchered", "unbearable", "so much to hate" etc. Maybe my standards are too low, but I still enjoyed the popamole-deusex gameplay, flawed as it is.

Draconis

Liturgist
Never played this because I know it the story was cut in half, it felt like starting to watch a TV-series that was cancelled half way through. Very off putting.

But since Cyberpunk 2077 was a total flop I still have that itch for some cyberpunk games and I'm thinking of playing MD anyway, is it really worth it though?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
But since Cyberpunk 2077 was a total flop

Writing, side quests, characters, architecture, some of the main quest, and graphics were good. Still greatly underwhelming but at least worth pirating.

Also riding motorcycles in first person.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But since Cyberpunk 2077 was a total flop I still have that itch for some cyberpunk games and I'm thinking of playing MD anyway, is it really worth it though?

The Deux Ex-y gameplay in Cyberpunk is pretty decent really. I had a ton of fun infiltrating buildings, sneaking around hacking computers for data, headshotting enemies with silenced weapons, etc. It's everything around that core gameplay loop that sucks. The modern DX games have the same core gameplay really, but in much more well designed and linear style missions, with much better story and context.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Never played this because I know it the story was cut in half, it felt like starting to watch a TV-series that was cancelled half way through. Very off putting.

Not at the full price Steam is currently asking. When it goes on sale for 75% off, grab it.

kangaxx

Arbiter

Yes, play it. It's a pretty good example of what it tries to do. It isn't without its problems, but no game is.

If you've played HR then basically it's a mechanical and graphical upgrade on that, and probably a story and "epicness" downgrade. There are some fun sequences, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much of the city is real and explorable/not just fake doors or windows.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

It's 85% off on GOG (weekly sale, ends tomorrow)

Standard Edition

Deluxe Edition with all DLCs

Last edited by a moderator:

Draconis

Liturgist

Standard Edition

Wtf that's a steal. Time to get it then :)
Thanks

Gerrard

Arcane

Standard Edition

Wtf that's a steal. Time to get it then :)
Thanks
Do yourself a favor and disable all the "Pack" and "Gear" DLCs. The game is already easy enough.

and graphics were good
I2RcabX.jpg

Gargaune

Magister
Yes, play it. It's a pretty good example of what it tries to do. It isn't without its problems, but no game is.

If you've played HR then basically it's a mechanical and graphical upgrade on that, and probably a story and "epicness" downgrade. There are some fun sequences, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much of the city is real and explorable/not just fake doors or windows.
I'll second this for anyone else still on the fence. Gameplay's excellent, with robust mechanics and solid level design, it feels like a proper DX experience, even if the progression balance is a bit off. The plot, admittedly, while I liked its more subdued nature, is very much stunted from having been meant as a middle chapter. Other than that, bonus points for excellent visual design and a superb PC interface, aside from a couple of gripes with inventory click handling.

Basically, at the current GOG discount, it's a sweet deal. Even if you don't love it like I did, odds are pretty good you'll find at least seven euros' worth of fun in it.

Do yourself a favor and disable all the "Pack" and "Gear" DLCs. The game is already easy enough.
You can disable DLCs? I just ignored the bonus gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom