Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Lexx

Cipher
There's some rune words and stuff that is only available in ladder games. So if you want that special thingy, you'll have to play and farm in a ladder game. Once the ladder is over, the character turns into a regular non-ladder character and you can keep using the stuff you farmed. Usually such items also have a higher value on the marketplace, since generic people like us can't be arsed to farm ladder games and rather exchange them for some rare runes.

Mods enable those runes and things in SP, and I think you can do non-ladder multiplayer as well. And I thought one of the remastered patches enabled those things automatically now?

I've never really played Diablo 2 multiplayer though since I've never understood the point of making the game easier with extra players/overpowered items I haven't earned. And if I want to make some meme build with specific uniques or high level runewords you can just edit them in.

jackofshadows

Magister
The sense of competition and the fact that the thing is live, you know? It's multiplayer after all. Good reason to make equal all participants even for a short time. In opposite, imagine goin into a server where majority of players grinded the shit out of it and you won't possible pvp with anybody, for example.

Gregz

Arcane
I've never understood the point of a "season" in terms of how D2 and clones define it. Normally games with a "season" involve some kind of structured content release but here they are just resetting all your characters? Grinding in these games are bad enough, do people actually want to do it over and over with their characters constantly being reset? OK so like 5 people in the world give a shit enough and have no life in order to farm 24/7 with sorceress to be the "first" level 99 in a 23 year old game, but what's the point for everyone else?

Everyone else is running a bot farm for collecting near-perfect items to sell to those 5 people.

Zeriel

Arcane
I've never understood the point of a "season" in terms of how D2 and clones define it. Normally games with a "season" involve some kind of structured content release but here they are just resetting all your characters? Grinding in these games are bad enough, do people actually want to do it over and over with their characters constantly being reset? OK so like 5 people in the world give a shit enough and have no life in order to farm 24/7 with sorceress to be the "first" level 99 in a 23 year old game, but what's the point for everyone else?

D2 is the origin of seasons, other games added more on top. The original point was to reset the ladder, that's it. Since the "race to 100" was a player-created community dick-measuring contest, seasons allowed getting to experience that again. It's been a while, but I don't think they even called it "seasons" back then, it was just ladder resets.

Since this was resetting the servers, it also reset the economy, which in a world of dupes & botting also had its fans.

You're basically asking why the first wheeled chariots didn't have air conditioning.

D2 is the origin of seasons, other games added more on top.
The origin is in sports, and by extension e-sports. It makes sense there because there's an actual competition. But the competition in D2 is... how quickly you can farm Act 5 and how efficiently you can piss in the bottles under your desk without slowing down during your 60 hour grind sessions interspersed by 30 mins of sleep?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Mods enable those runes and things in SP, and I think you can do non-ladder multiplayer as well. And I thought one of the remastered patches enabled those things automatically now?

I've never really played Diablo 2 multiplayer though since I've never understood the point of making the game easier with extra players/overpowered items I haven't earned. And if I want to make some meme build with specific uniques or high level runewords you can just edit them in.
Back when I played D2 and lived like a king on my runewords and sojs castle, I enjoyed rushing and power leveling other players. Fun times.

Also, sitting in town with my OP summoner druid 1-hit killking people with my bear was lots of fun in "pvp".

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I never played D2. Loved D1. Unfortunately at times when D2 was a thing, I didn’t have the opportunity to play it. Now I am considering checking it out and since I currently only have a Mac, the remastered version would be the easiest way to do this, but knowing how notoriously bad the current day game studios are at everything, I have my doubts whether it is wise to do it without some preliminary research, hence the question: what is the Codex consensus on the remastered D2?

Overall I am a big sucker for story and atmosphere and I loved D1 for this, would D2 be as enjoyable in these aspects?

Gregz

Arcane
I never played D2. Loved D1. Unfortunately at times when D2 was a thing, I didn’t have the opportunity to play it. Now I am considering checking it out and since I currently only have a Mac, the remastered version would be the easiest way to do this, but knowing how notoriously bad the current day game studios are at everything, I have my doubts whether it is wise to do it without some preliminary research, hence the question: what is the Codex consensus on the remastered D2?

Overall I am a big sucker for story and atmosphere and I loved D1 for this, would D2 be as enjoyable in these aspects?

If the only version of D2 you have access to is D2R, then you will still have access to an amazing game.

negator2vc

Scholar
Yes, but try to find the original D2. While D2 remaster does have some benefits it also come with a few serious negatives
like online dependency, some weird changes to existing mechanics

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Atmosphere is great. If we're talking about the remaster, it's still better than anything else modern Blizzard has put out.

Story enjoyment will depend on your tastes. D1 was very much gothic horror, while 2 is much more fast-paced and exotic, as you visit deserts and jungles.

D3 is fuekbad. It's like Diablo-verse (Sanctuary is kind of a dumb name for the setting, ngl) merged with WoW.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Diablo 2 is good, it has a very dense atmosphere even if you just play through it once with whatever class you like.
It is a *different* atmosphere from the first Diablo though. Much more varied locations, not everyone likes that. Just give it a go.

If you play something like a straight barbarian who uses weapons rather than skills then the feel of Diablo 2 is pretty close to Diablo 1. It's only when you get spammy broken skills that cover half the screen with shit that Diablo 2 becomes broken and unfun. Keep in mind though that this is way, way more difficult and almost requires substantial farming for higher difficulties that skill-based builds don't.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
BRO?

Sometimes I imagine this guy with a truly disgusting appearance, some kind of atrocious nasal voice that belches out an endless stream of fat nonsense ; his whole existence is something that must be corrected. So you indicate it to him, you say "bro, don't do that" - you add the "bro" in the indication to be sympathetic, brotherly, to show your moral support. So you tell him, bro, stop doing that. But he can't, because you're trying to change his very being, and he can't change. He's static. The same disgusting face, the annoying voice, the stupid thoughts, it keeps going. So you say - BRO! Bro, stop that. But again, it can't be, he just can't. So he keeps going, with his shit expressions, his memes, his infantility ; you ask with a fatal sense of urgency - BRO? As if saying : you're being indecent, you should be stopping just about now. But nothing stops. BRO? It just keeps fucking going and going. This horrible speck of a human being, attempting to use langage and thought, a shameful thing really, it has to go. BRO? BRO? Eventually he shuts the fuck up, if you're lucking, and then everything is saved.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
If you play something like a straight barbarian who uses weapons rather than skills then the feel of Diablo 2 is pretty close to Diablo 1. It's only when you get spammy broken skills that cover half the screen with shit that Diablo 2 becomes broken and unfun. Keep in mind though that this is way, way more difficult and almost requires substantial farming for higher difficulties that skill-based builds don't.

Yeah the onscreen GFX can get ridicolous with some classes. D2R tuned some down, but left others overwhelming.
However if the dude just wants to romp once or twice through the game, any class works, until hell you don't really minmax any skill IMO.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The few times i had a chance to briefly play D2 i remember liking Barb the most for the feel this class has — fast paced, action packed, like a moving killing machine, something very visceral somewhat akin to how you muscle learn inertia in Q3. Now though I’m really into heavy plate wearing moody dudes. How’s the paladin in regards of this weapons/skills thing?

Also is there any point in looking for the original game without the addon? I mostly tend to avoid addons that add stuff to the OC where they weren’t supposed to be initially.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The few times i had a chance to briefly play D2 i remember liking Barb the most for the feel this class has — fast paced, action packed, like a moving killing machine, something very visceral somewhat akin to how you muscle learn inertia in Q3. Now though I’m really into heavy plate wearing moody dudes. How’s the paladin in regards of this weapons/skills thing?

Also is there any point in looking for the original game without the addon? I mostly tend to avoid addons that add stuff to the OC where they weren’t supposed to be initially.

Paladin can be tankiest class in the game if you seek for that power fantasy.

You can play Diablo 2 Ressurected with the option to play the game pre- many game changing addons, like runewords that are better than simple items you find in the wild etc.

Diablo 2 had substantial changes in patches, original release was way more hardcore. For example you couldn't buy mana potions. Which suddenly makes skill spam based builds way harder. XP and loot was also a lot lower IIRC.

Yeah I played it on release. All the shit they added in LoD was decline IMO, runewords in particular. Makes it pointless to play the game even.

Barbarian was probably the only class in D2 that I couldn't get into. Very powerful, but very narrow in what it does. Paladins are cool but tend to get stale, and I always seem to have mana problems playing one. Javazon can be really good if one note like the Barbarian. The only melee I could really enjoy was the Assassin. The Assassin really has a great mix of skills to give you lots of options and keep things dynamic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom