Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 has gone full popamole.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also: calling someone butthurt is a rather lazy way out of a discussion, isn't it? Was it by any chance invented by the Americans?

Not quite as elegant as blaming America for everything, huh?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Also: calling someone butthurt is a rather lazy way out of a discussion, isn't it? Was it by any chance invented by the Americans?

Who is blaming America for everything? I'm particularly asking for in this thread.

You should always provide examples for your claims.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, because it's globally accepted that "kicking ass" is a positive thing. So is "making a killing". Those two make sense. But to say you've had five awesome years at a company and saying that something (Diablo 3) is going to "kill it" doesn't make sense in a positive manner. He had to clarify it because it's a retarded expression that makes no sense in any context. End of argument.
Listen, I can see where the confusion came from, truly I can. But you're saying an expression that you're familiar with is globally accepted so it makes sense, and that an only slightly different expression you're not as familiar with is retarded and shouldn't be used by anyone
You misunderstand. I have no problem with "Diablo 3 is going to kill!" That's also (semi-) easy to understand slang. I have a problem with the wording....
Dude. You can't say that you're ok with some slang phrases but not the others, especially if they revolve around the same word. Kill has been used in a positive context since forever: going to kill, made a killing, killed it, killer (adjective), etc.

If he meant to write "I'm no longer working at this company but I've had 5 great years. Diablo 3 is coming and it's going to rock" he failed by writing "I've had 5 great years and Diablo 3 is going to kill it." It's poor English.
It's fucking slang. Welcome to Earth.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If he meant to write "I'm no longer working at this company but I've had 5 great years. Diablo 3 is coming and it's going to rock" he failed by writing "I've had 5 great years and Diablo 3 is going to kill it." It's poor English.
It's fucking slang in the context of his 5 great years at Blizzard, Vincent D. Wellington! Don't you see the problem?! Don't you care?!!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Who is blaming America for everything? I'm particularly asking for in this thread.

Best possible response. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should feel foolish or not.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Best possible response. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should feel foolish or not.
As you should, silly goose.

Don't fuck with me. I can press buttons and make something awesome happen!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's fucking slang in the context of his 5 great years at Blizzard, Vincent D. Wellington! Don't you see the problem?! Don't you care?!!
I care, because I love you, bro, and don't want to see you posting shit with the rest of them ignorant niggas. Sure, the years have changed you, turned you into a horse, but I still remember that boy with the golden hair:

44.gif

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I care, because I love you, bro, and don't want to see you posting shit with the rest of them ignorant niggas. Sure, the years have changed you, turned you into a horse, but I still remember that boy with the golden hair:

44.gif
I... I... still remember that thread...

We were... talking about Knights of the Old Republic 1 and you... welcomed me to this forum...

It was a different forum then. It was more inviting, but I was young. I was scared. But you, you made me feel at home, Vince. You called me your friend. Me, a newcomer!

... Oh god... what happened to me, Vince? What happened to the Codex?! WHY DID YOU ABANDON US?!!

edit: maybe it is time... to head to the dog food factory...

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Diablo has more RPG elements than the Witcher: stats and meaningful talent specializations being the first two glaring examples. Witcher is an action adventure game with aesthetic C&C.

You don't roleplay anything in diablo ? are you kidding me here. This is a retarded discussion, the witcher is a story driven game in which you play a fixed character and complete his tale. The character in diablo does not matter at al, its mister anonymous, there isn't a story in the game either, its about the item hunt.

MisterStone

Arcane
Oh no, they're going to ruin the riveting cerebral point and click gameplay of Diablo by making it accessible for lame people, bawwww

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Diablo has more RPG elements than the Witcher: stats and meaningful talent specializations being the first two glaring examples. Witcher is an action adventure game with aesthetic C&C.

You don't roleplay anything in diablo ? are you kidding me here. This is a retarded discussion, the witcher is a story driven game in which you play a fixed character and complete his tale. The character in diablo does not matter at al, its mister anonymous, there isn't a story in the game either, its about the item hunt.

This moronic 'playing a role' argument again? That's not what makes a game an RPG. Is Doom an RPG? For your sake I hope this is just your attempt at a shitty troll.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Diablo 3 has gone full derp. auction house remember, Blizzard is just trying to milk money out of every game now that they have seen their god, World of Warcraft.
Am I the only one who thinks the real cash AH is a good thing? I won't lose a dime but I'll be making money from newbs who suck at the game. That's a big win IMO.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Diablo 3 has gone full derp. auction house remember, Blizzard is just trying to milk money out of every game now that they have seen their god, World of Warcraft.
Am I the only one who thinks the real cash AH is a good thing? I won't lose a dime but I'll be making money from newbs who suck at the game. That's a big win IMO.

Given how gold farmers will proliferate the AH odds are you could probably make a better hourly profit at McDonald's.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

This moronic 'playing a role' argument again? That's not what makes a game an RPG. Is Doom an RPG? For your sake I hope this is just your attempt at a shitty troll.

Yes because thats the defining feature of a game like Doom or Diablo. Stop trolling.

I hope for your sake you have a job which pays better then what you will earn with Diablo 3.

They sank an awful lot of time to put this into the game and we won't have any benefit of it. It's wasted development time which they could without a doubt have used on making the game better. How in gods name can the action house ever be a good thing.

I even believe they delayed the game because of problems with the auction house in Korea (not sure about this though)

I am not setting my hopes high for this game anyway.

gromit

Arcane
Then it's not "slang," it's "saying stuff."
Slang is usually spoken.
It's a twitter post, not a press release or treatise - nothing wrong with conversational grammar and tone. If you get that butt-hurt over casual wording, you should probably just not read foreigners' twitter feeds.
But you don't forget your commas (for example) in a conversation.

Commas are most often a matter of style. Butt-hurt means "perturbed" in internet slang less offensive than non sequitur while admittedly requiring less imagination. I had been directly addressing your point but now I'll just intentionally write to include more places for style commas than possible within the bounds of reason while remaining "correct yet unrecommend" and omit them merely to fuck with you ;)

I keep forgetting this and trying to have discussions with people while VD makes the same points in meaner ways saving a lot of time.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't say Diablo was a good example of an RPG, I said it has more RPG elements than Witcher. Which it does.

Yeesh

Magister

Given how gold farmers will proliferate the AH odds are you could probably make a better hourly profit at McDonald's.
Jesus Christ. The point isn't that the RMAH is a career opportunity, the point is how can people possibly be bitching about the fact that now you can actually make a little cash off of doing something you fucking love and would be doing anyway? It is indeed a huge win, and I don't get the complaining about it at all. This isn't the bad kind of micro-transactions; you're not buying from Blizzard. You're doing the same trading you would be doing with other players anyway, but instead of some bullshit currency that you leave behind forever when you stop playing, you're earning fucking money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom