Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zlaja

Arcane
Why am I getting so many lvl 60 drops now in wt4?

Level req. for Sacred items has been capped at 60 and at 80 for Ancestral. This doesn't matter, tho. Item power stat at the top is what's important.

I seen somebody say the lower cinder drop rate is a glitch

No, that's fake news. They nerfed the drop rate. Do make sure to interact with everything you can in Helltides, 'cause everything can drop cinders now.

abija

Prophet
Instead of learning good things from PoE, they got the "fuck around with droprates for no reason" Chris Wilson trademark move.

UglyBastard

Arcane
There is also a hidden change for new chars that is probably worse than all the rest:

WT3 has a level requirement of 50 and WT4 has a requirement of 70 (!). You can't enter WT4 with a new (aka season) char below level 70. So no more killing Elias at level 63, farming some Ancestrals against the odds and experiencing probably the most fun progression curve in the game (lvl 60 - 75, entering WT4 "underpowered" for great rewards).
Instead you are forced to VERY slowly grind to 70 with insufficient WT3 nightmare dungeons (basically less than half the XP compared to WT4) collecting worthless sacred items that you gonna throw away in WT4 anyway. This will probably add about 5-10 hours of dead air between world tiers (depending on how hard you blast).

Another amusing sign that the devs don't play their own game:
Min. level requirement of ancestral items is lvl 60, but they can't drop for you until you are level 70 (and can enter WT4).

They also killed boosting (level offset in the screenshot above), so you have to endure this slog with every char. And you do less damage (crit and vulnerable nerf) and you die faster (massive def stats nerf) and you have more downtime (big cooldown reduction nerf) and Helltide gives less rewards.

Another funny story is that they nerfed Sorcerer even more despite it being the weakest and most clunky class right now. They culled their best passive (critical hit damage to crowd controlled mobs, main source of damage) by about 60% and gave them the only unique item with a downside in return (Oculus, teleports you to a random location on screen, traditionally this location is a huge explosion or some crowd control zone).

And they nerfed TP out of dungeon from 3 seconds to 5 seconds. Because fuck you.

The patch is a huge shitshow, they even announced an emergency "fireside chat" for friday to control the damage and "explain their philosophy".

All changes serve one single purpose:
Slow the progress of the already very slow game even more, so players spend more time in game until they are done and have more time to purchase shit from the shop. They probably read this thread and want to keep SDG in WT3 as long as possible.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Another funny change:

To satisfy player demands and make them feel more power progression, open world mobs will trail 5 levels behind you starting from level 55-60.
Side effect: They don't give you noticeable XP anymore because of the harsh penalties for killing stuff below your level. Overworld is completely dead now (even deader than it was before).
This also counts for normal dungeons, who are now obsolete. :)

Aya Cash

Literate
I'm willing to bet they reverse alot of these changes within a week if not a few days. They've pissed off the entire playerbase and put the game in a situation where it's in danger of dying early. I mean they have to, unless they are insane and are actively trying to kill their own game off.

I'm kind of lucky I just started doing WT4 NM dungeons just a couple days ago because I'm enjoying the challenge of those and having fun with them. They will keep me playing for a little while longer atleast until I get burned out. In the game's current state I might not even bother rolling a new character for season 1.

pyro sorc
sdg, you forgot to relog
I have no idea who that is. I am Aya Cash, very attractive famous actress. No I'm not signing autographs.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
WT3 has a level requirement of 50 and WT4 has a requirement of 70 (!). You can't enter WT4 with a new (aka season) char below level 70. So no more killing Elias at level 63, farming some Ancestrals against the odds and experiencing probably the most fun progression curve in the game (lvl 60 - 75, entering WT4 "underpowered" for great rewards).

Got a confirmation for that? I don't see the lvl requirement in game.

UglyBastard

Arcane

Got a confirmation for that? I don't see the lvl requirement in game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/153fkjy/psa_you_now_have_to_be_level_50_to_even_enter_wt3/

For your pleasure, good sir! *tips fedora*

Aya Cash

Literate
They've pissed off the entire playerbase and put the game in a situation where it's in danger of dying early.
That's good.
No it's not. The game was alot of fun and had the potential to get even better until Blizztard fucked themselves in the ass. This whole situation reminds me of how Microsoft originally handled it's marketing of the Xbox One. They were arrogant, acting like they knew better than their own customers/fanbase, made demands like dictators, and effectively just handed over the victory of that console generation to Sony before it even started. Sony didn't even have to lift a finger. Blizztard currently is showing that exact same attitude right now and chasing their own players away to PoE2 and BG3, just like the trending meme shows.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
They've pissed off the entire playerbase and put the game in a situation where it's in danger of dying early.
That's good.
No it's not. The game was alot of fun and had the potential to get even better until Blizztard fucked themselves in the ass. This whole situation reminds me of how Microsoft originally handled it's marketing of the Xbox One. They were arrogant, acting like they knew better than their own customers/fanbase, made demands like dictators, and effectively just handed over the victory of that console generation to Sony before it even started. Sony didn't even have to lift a finger. Blizztard currently is showing that exact same attitude right now and chasing their own players away to PoE2 and BG3, just like the trending meme shows.
Evidently they know better than their customers, considering their customers gobbled up every piece of trash they made recently.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't like D3 and what they tried to do with it, but man at least in the beginning they had some sort of design in mind and executed it, same with Immortal. Even if the design was total shit or taken from other games you can see that they knew why it was in the game. These D4 devs are so clueless and incompetent that it's just funny to see retards like Asmongold perplexed by them. I watched somebody mention that this is what wokeness does to a company and couldn't agree more, it's not the political stuff, but the sheer incompetence that these people bring. Same will happen with other games as well, PoE included as they are in retarded New Zealand and are hiring more and more people.

Aya Cash

Literate
Evidently they know better than their customers, considering their customers gobbled up every piece of trash they made recently.
Every single person in this thread who purchased the game and was discussing it had general overall positive things to say about it up until now. It wasn't trash and it had potential to get better. There was a solid foundation there, compared to say D3 at launch which had no foundation. That game had to basically be rebuilt from the ground up, like FF14.

abija

Prophet
You are wrong with either "every single" or with "overall positive".

Aya Cash

Literate
You, grampy bone, spectre, sdg, zlaja, filthy sauce, and skinwalker are all confirmed to have purchased the game and been playing it (the rest of the people posting in the thread have just been obvious trolls who don't own it, unless I'm forgetting somebody) and all of you have had positive things to say about the game, as well as negative things. I'm not saying there was anyone calling it perfect. But everybody seemed to be having a good time with it.

Oh I forgot about Saravan. He played it on Youtube.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
I'm quite far from overall positive, you need to pay more attention. When I said most of the design leads and their higher ups should be fired I wasn't exaggerating for effect. Hell, never hire them as designers/managers again since they failed with one the most basic subgenres.

Zeriel

Arcane
The problem is that the main point of seasons is to reset the economy and as а consequence of this to put everybody that creates new character at the same starting position. These are things that will not happen in D4. There is no economy to reset and not everybody starts at the same point. It's thoughtless copycat design by amateur developers, implementing popular systems without understanding why they were implemented in other games. So yes, in D4 seasons are stupid.
So, basically, Blizzard copied mechanic from PoE?

Nah, PoE copied it from D2, then Blizzard copied it again in D3. As noted, it makes no sense in D4, but largely because they lack features that D3 had. In D3 it was to reset paragons & ladderboards. Seasons without ladderboards make zero sense. That was the reason for them existing in D2, you race to the top of the level ladderboards. Without said ladders, they are just using it as an excuse to onboard you into their content dumps.

Saravan

Savant
You, grampy bone, spectre, sdg, zlaja, filthy sauce, and skinwalker are all confirmed to have purchased the game and been playing it (the rest of the people posting in the thread have just been obvious trolls who don't own it, unless I'm forgetting somebody) and all of you have had positive things to say about the game, as well as negative things. I'm not saying there was anyone calling it perfect. But everybody seemed to be having a good time with it.

Oh I forgot about Saravan. He played it on Youtube.
Ok this is definitely SDG lol

Zeriel

Arcane
As if puncture needed to be even better.

• Pestilent Points (Offensive Aspect): Every third cast of Puncture is Poison Imbued with 100-150% of normal potency.

Ack. This is a nerf.

• Siphoning Strikes now also requires a Lucky Hit chance of 75%.

This also sucks but I guess crossbows were blowing bows away

• Vulnerable Damage: Reduced by ~40%.
  • Vulnerable Damage (Inherent on Crossbows): Reduced by ~65%.

It's not that crossbows were blowing bows away, it's that bows were literally useless unless you are a ranged rogue. That is STILL the case, so they just made melee rogues worse. But... they'll still be better than ranged rogues mostly, so who cares. Blizzard is clueless and has no idea what they are doing. They nerf things without accomplishing what they set out to do, worst of all worlds. They get players angry at them, but don't achieve the balance aim they had in mind. No one will stop using the things they are trying to nerf, they will just be less powerful than before.

Vulnerability is still irreplaceable. Crossbows are still better than bows for everyone except ranged builds, etc. Same story across other classes, I would imagine.

Personally I already find the game too easy so this doesn't really impact me, but there are some other changes that are just outright insulting in their transparent attempt to (after the fact) prevent people from finishing the game quicker. They "nerfed" group power leveling... by making solo leveling slower. So after the nerf group power leveling is even more necessary. All they achieved is making leveling slower for the casuals who hadn't already reached 100. Classic modern Blizzard retard-brain move.

The timing of these changes is also really bad in the sense that it's a fresh reset where people already played through the game and have a set powerlevel they experienced previously. Now they had that powerlevel decreased by an average of... let's say... 40-50%. So they will play the "exciting" new season, playing a character that will never reach the same power levels experienced previously, unless the malignant gems are so disgustingly overpowered they provide more of a power boost than 50% of your stats did.

This is a strong lesson in why balancing on the fly fucks you. You can't fix blatant design oversights after release, once everyone has consumed your content, because you will piss off everyone who got used to playing under the old balance regime. If you go and look at the forums, they are on fire. I'm sure some of these people will be back for the expansions, but every time they shoot themselves unnecessarily in the foot like this, they do permanently lose a handful of customers. It's especially harmful in what amounts to a singleplayer PVE experience. In a strongly PVP tilted experience you can get some backing from the community, because they find PVP boring when one class or build dominates. When you are talking about people just having fun playing their singleplayer monster smashing experience... the tolerance for this sort of fuck-up is a lot lower.

Last edited:

Aya Cash

Literate
Ok this is definitely SDG lol
NO, it is not. I am Aya Cash

QuaintKindheartedFawn-max-1mb.gif

Stop derailing the thread before I get King Crispy in here to deal with you.

Anyways am I seriously seeing people ITT trying to suggest that D3 was better than D4 at launch? You are insane. Grabbing shit out of the toilet, smearing it all over the bathroom wall, CRAZY.

Diablo 3 was a complete and utter failure from top to bottom at launch. Everything was wrong. It did not remotely come close to resembling a Diablo game in look or tone. It wasn't fun to play, especially late game. Whether you like it or not these types of games need a carrot on a stick in order to work, and D3 did not have a carrot on a stick. The item drops were abysmal and there was no endgame activities. There was nothing. I don't even need to bring up the auction house. Diablo 3 was a travesty and had to be rebuilt from the ground up in the same exact way Final Fantasy 14 Online had to be.

The situations are not comparable. D4 has started out as a functional fun game that has a pretty good campaign, fun gameplay, and alright endgame activities. And it actually resembles a Diablo game in look at tone. They are not comparable. Blizzard shooting themselves in the foot and ruining D4 is a different subject.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Fyi don't @ mods unless you want more tags, SDG.

For the record I did enjoy the game but not until I hit level 30 or so and reached the capstone skills, which may not really be an endorsement. I also tend to quit these games when I reach the postgame out of boredom, so endgame grind doesn't matter as much to me. Codexers get all their epeen from shitting on things so don't get too worked up over it, every game that comes out is literally the worst thing ever made unplayable casual trash minus one million out of ten.

I don't think normies will really notice or care about these changes, and the hardcore were already buttmad about everything so what's new? I do think the game is a clear improvement over D3, but all the complaints are probably telling blizzard they need to make D4 more like D3, not less, and I think that's a shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom