Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zlaja

Arcane

motherfucker

Educated
I like how the survey shitstorm is still going despite no such survey being received by anyone but some noname youtuber who surely wouldn't make shit up for easy "D4 bad" clicks.
Bla bla I hope Blizzard don't go with what we've seen in the surv..- VIDEO. Y'ALL ARE MAD OVER WHAT YOU'VE SEEN IN A YOUTUBE VIDEO.

abija

Prophet
You actually think Blizzard wouldn't instantly let publications now if that was fake?

Just got to Act 4... 21.7 hours in.
Stop being part of the problem
Yeah he should spend 10 hours an act.

Beat solo campaign in about 29 hours with my arc last sorc, WT2... It was pretty easy overall IMO.

Actually, the second half of the campaign is a lot better than the first half, with the snake level and ending where the entire city was soaked in blood and you're rushing mobs with pyramid head.

I beat a couple world bosses post campaign, but I'm not about to do any pointless farm quests, so not going to play this one again until the Kurast expansion drops.

Honestly, the campaign was pretty good, gameplay-wise, I'd say it's superior to D2LOD, but not everything works.

The soundtrack is pretty fucking generic, there were maybe only a couple of tracks that I liked, and again, voice acting was pretty shitty too, the one asian character toward the end should have been eliminated from the game altogether.

She basically gave the game an Avatar-like vibe, and that isn't the type of thing that works in a Diablo game.

I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I would appreciate if this franchise dialed up the horror and cut out all fantasy elements.

Blizzard should put a lot more effort into differentiating their main IP's... Warcraft being high fantasy, Starcraft sci-fi, and Overwatch being a bullshit coop shooter.

An idea that I thought of while playing D4 is to introduce Lucifer as being the final boss, with Diablo being nothing more than a weaker manifestation/avatar.

I already know this would probably rape Diablo canon, but then again, so does every sequel.

The worst parts about D4 are the metered health pot drops, the boring desert zones, and the characters: Donan, Neyrelle, Prava.

Lilith was sorta disappointing too because they gave her way too much dialogue, but D4 is easily the most story driven Diablo game I've played so far.

Lastly, I don't like the way the world map is setup either... I prefer the abrupt act transitions of D2LOD.

Forgot to mention this in my last post, but the credits included about 10k names, and I clicked the fast-forward button through most of it too.

Maybe I'm living under a rock because I play mostly horror games, mainly indie horror, but I couldn't help but conclude that using massive amounts of people during the development cycle could actually hinder, not help, the final product.

To make an analogy, business corporations that are too top heavy typically don't operate very well, since there is too much competition amongst upper management that unity and effective communication cannot take place.

It's probably different when it comes to creative projects though, as opposed to creating a sustainably profitable business, but I would personally trust a small team, even limited to a single person, to write the game's story.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Forgot to mention this in my last post, but the credits included about 10k names, and I clicked the fast-forward button through most of it too.

Maybe I'm living under a rock because I play mostly horror games, mainly indie horror, but I couldn't help but conclude that using massive amounts of people during the development cycle could actually hinder, not help, the final product.

To make an analogy, business corporations that are too top heavy typically don't operate very well, since there is too much competition amongst upper management that unity and effective communication cannot take place.

It's probably different when it comes to creative projects though, as opposed to creating a sustainably profitable business, but I would personally trust a small team, even limited to a single person, to write the game's story.

I think latest God of War credits were longer than some cartoons.

I think latest God of War credits were longer than some cartoons.

Really?

I played the first two GOW games damn near 20 years ago on PS2.

I understand having many beta testers, people reviewing code, voice acting casts from different countries, etc., but in terms of the actual creative part of game development, I can't see why that would benefit from a giant network of people.

I wanna believe that would create a watered-down product, safe for a large game dev like Blizzard to release to the masses, but it gets review bombed by actual gamers themselves.

The first instance of a highly rated game that I absolutely fucking hated and subsequently got review bombed on metacritic was Fallout 4 (this was right around the time I transitioned from gamespot to metacritic to figure out if I wanted to play a game or not).

Terrible, watered-down piece of shit that was insanely boring, had zero soul, and felt like the entire game was shit out by a lame ass development team that was just working to meet a deadline.

Piranha Bytes and GSC Game World are two of my favorite Eurojank developers, both are small companies and both put out games that felt like they were put together by real people and not AI-driven bots (okay, so maybe STALKER was fixed by modders and not GSC).

The first Risen was a damn good game when it came out though, better than Oblivion and Skyrim IMO, and Gothic II NOTR is DEFINITELY better than either of those games!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Path of Exile crossover/inspiration or AI made little oopsie making similar intro clip?

meanwhile comment section is empty

Lemming42

Arcane
What the hell even is this "season" system. I know it's been in other games but I don't have a clue what's going on. I liked Diablo IV for what it was but I have no idea whether or not I'm meant to keep coming back for more content, or if the "seasons" are just inane shit.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It means this season you are getting attacked by a bag of dicks and next season you start grinding again from the start, but this time there's a huge AoE fart you have to dodge.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What the hell even is this "season" system.
It means you start at 0 in each season, your old characters get transferred to the "normal" server. Seasons are a way to prolong a hack and slasher's lifespan and they do a good enough job at it, especially if the seasonal content shakes up the gameplay.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What the hell even is this "season" system.
It means you start at 0 in each season, your old characters get transferred to the "normal" server. Seasons are a way to prolong a hack and slasher's lifespan and they do a good enough job at it, especially if the seasonal content shakes up the gameplay.
In addition to that, season system has existed from back in D2 days and Path of Exile made it more popular with adding a lot of new content into every new season.

Really wish there was a way to fix the shitty soundtrack.

I booted up D2R just to compare, and the soundtrack was at least 50% of that game's appeal.

Voice acting was better too, but D4's mediocre voice work could have been glossed over by a decent soundtrack.

Why didn't Blizzard hire Matt Uelmen to compose the soundtrack for D4?

I booted up D2R just to compare, and the soundtrack was at least 50% of that game's appeal.

Voice acting was better too, but D4's mediocre voice work could have been glossed over by a decent soundtrack.

Diablo2 soundtrack is even better than D1.I finished D1 for the first time just about a month ago with the DevilutionX mod. I couldn't finish the game when I was younger because I didn't know I could grind by starting a new game with the same character. I remember in 2000 when D2 came out, had my parents bought it for me from a pirate seller on the streets-it had 3 CD's together with printing on them just like the real thing (of course you couldn't play on BattleNet but other then that it was the same). Because I was living in a poor country(and still am), I had to play it on a K6-2 of 266Mhz system, with the sound switched off so I could get a decent frame rate to play. The soundtrack I had recorded using a sound system on tape and every-time I played the game I had to insert the tape and press PLAY just to get into the atmosphere.
Diablo 2 was a big success in my country especially later years in PC Games Rooms. Everybody was playing D2 on TCP also pirated.
D4 soundtrack is just as forgettable like the one in D3.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know, I just realized I haven't downloaded any of blizzard's game soundtracks. That is probably something I need to do now. I did record all D1+hellfire music from a stereo onto tape (45 min sided tapes). Lol, that was a lot of standing doing nothing. Lordy that was decades ago (funny saying that for diablo). Now to find the game list.

Digital games should have their full ost available imho.

Viata

Arcane
Reminds me that there was one thing I was very jealous of Japanese gamers as a kid is that every other game there would have the OST released so people could buy the CD and listen to the game osts. As a kid, I could only pray the game had a sound test option (to listen to any music I wanted) or stop the game in some part just to listening to the OST (I did this so many times that most retro games I played I can identify where and when some track plays). Today is not a problem anymore as I can easily download OSTs, but back then, it was really something I wished. Despite hating modern tech, I'm glad modern computers allow me to do the very things I always wanted as a kid, including play all the games I only saw in magazines as a kid.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I loved my sega genesis & CD for having soundtest on most carts and well, CD always had music and other tracks.

Fuck if i know that Nintendo consoles did that. I don't recall shit on the nes.

Seethe

Arbiter

Diablo2 soundtrack is even better than D1.I finished D1 for the first time just about a month ago with the DevilutionX mod. I couldn't finish the game when I was younger because I didn't know I could grind by starting a new game with the same character. I remember in 2000 when D2 came out, had my parents bought it for me from a pirate seller on the streets-it had 3 CD's together with printing on them just like the real thing (of course you couldn't play on BattleNet but other then that it was the same). Because I was living in a poor country(and still am), I had to play it on a K6-2 of 266Mhz system, with the sound switched off so I could get a decent frame rate to play. The soundtrack I had recorded using a sound system on tape and every-time I played the game I had to insert the tape and press PLAY just to get into the atmosphere.
Diablo 2 was a big success in my country especially later years in PC Games Rooms. Everybody was playing D2 on TCP also pirated.
Possibly my favorite soundtrack of all time in any game tbh. It was creative and experimental, Matt Uelmen took risks and made masterpieces. Blizzard used to do this a lot, take a look at Undead soundtrack in Warcraft 3. Terran soundtrack in Starcraft 1 was progressive rock inspired by Rush, very complex compositions all around

Possibly my favorite soundtrack of all time in any game tbh. It was creative and experimental, Matt Uelmen took risks and made masterpieces. Blizzard used to do this a lot, take a look at Undead soundtrack in Warcraft 3. Terran soundtrack in Starcraft 1 was progressive rock inspired by Rush, very complex compositions all around

indeed the Harem part is the best experimental piece of sound from any game that I know. This along with Fallout 2 soundtrack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom