Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not a flex. I just don't feel comfortable being around "normal" drunks.
There are other heavy drinkers, I know some who could easily outdrink you, though most of them are likely dead in a couple of years

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
One thing I discovered is that the time of day inside the game is tied to real time. Every hour of real time it switches from day to night or vice versa, although you have to reload the overworld map by fast travel/exiting a dungeon/logging in and out to see the change.

Kind of a weird way to do it, but it's yet another consequence of the game not having an offline mode. I would have preferred if you could change the time in-game at the inn or whatever, as the visuals are really nice, and it's best to see them during daytime.
What do you mean? The time of day seems absolutely arbitary. I teleport to one place and day switches to night, 2 teleports later its day again and next teleport is night.

Peachcurl

Cipher
One thing I discovered is that the time of day inside the game is tied to real time. Every hour of real time it switches from day to night or vice versa, although you have to reload the overworld map by fast travel/exiting a dungeon/logging in and out to see the change.

Kind of a weird way to do it, but it's yet another consequence of the game not having an offline mode. I would have preferred if you could change the time in-game at the inn or whatever, as the visuals are really nice, and it's best to see them during daytime.
What do you mean? The time of day seems absolutely arbitary. I teleport to one place and day switches to night, 2 teleports later its day again and next teleport is night.

So, obviously, the game even has different time zones!

abija

Prophet
Just Barb had frenzy, werewolf, WW, singer, zerker at the top of my head. That’s already 2 more than D4 and they were vastly different from each other unlike in D4 where every build needs 3 shouts to sustain resource. Stop making shit up please.

I don't think you grasp the concept of HARD content. You can mix and match anything that makes sense for normal D4 content (up to monsters 5-10 levels higher than you). You don't need 4 defensives/3 shouts/whatever you think. But I doubt youtubers put up videos with average content. So you are fed with random hype shit.

Yes you can see all the game has to offer by level 25. But you try to extrapolate without any clue. I doubt you actually even tried multiple builds with a barb at 25.

If we are going to play this game then you can’t say shit about end game until I see a screenshot of you at +lvl 70 clearing higher tier NMDs at WTR4.
The reason I understood wrong the first time you wrote something similar, is that what you say there is not the endgame. That's run of the mill, mindlesly blast shit, normal leveling gameplay. You don't actually get it. That's why all the talk about scaling and bricked characters was so retarded. Nightmare dungeons 5-10 levels above you is what pretty much any build with a bit of sense does.

Your ideas of viable builds though, come from hyped shit, trully end game hard content, 25-30+ levels above your char.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Just Barb had frenzy, werewolf, WW, singer, zerker at the top of my head. That’s already 2 more than D4 and they were vastly different from each other unlike in D4 where every build needs 3 shouts to sustain resource. Stop making shit up please.

I don't think you grasp the concept of HARD content. You can mix and match anything that makes sense for normal D4 content (up to monsters 5-10 levels higher than you). You don't need 4 defensives/3 shouts/whatever you think. But I doubt youtubers put up videos with average content. So you are fed with random hype shit.

Yes you can see all the game has to offer by level 25. But you try to extrapolate without any clue. I doubt you actually even tried multiple builds with a barb at 25.
Again you attack with some irrelevant youtuber influencer bullshit, you are only revealing yourself to be a terminally online twitch degenerate. I never base shit out of these sources.

When people discuss depth in build diversity they only refer to end-game content. Every ARPG in existence can provide build diversity to campaign / mid-tier content. It's completely irrelevant to discuss build diversity in this context. In D4:s end-game content the build diversity is abysmal, it's just a matter of fact. If a sorc is pigeonholed into a build with 4 defensive abilities there is not a whole lot of room for customization, same with barb that has to run 3-shout setup to generate enough fury to spam their core skill. That's another thing. In D4, much like D3, all builds are about a select few core skills so by design the pool of builds is already very limited.

I did try several different builds at 25 but that's a pointless comparison because the content is too easy for it to matter. Again, if legitimacy to something is conditional upon having to experienced it personally, then nobody in this clown thread can talk jack shit about builds until all of you provide evidence of you personally having cleared end-game content with for example, a sorc build using only 2 defensive abilities to disprove these issues.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Feels good to be playing a fun finished game, bros. I didn't even have to give input or ideas to Blizzard. It's almost like they aren't lazy assholes who beg for money and help like Larian.
Not really difficult to design a proper skinner box

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Feels good to be playing a fun finished game, bros. I didn't even have to give input or ideas to Blizzard. It's almost like they aren't lazy assholes who beg for money and help like Larian.
Not really difficult to design a proper skinner box
ok where is your skinner box sherlock
and like a good rat you react to my posts, there's your skinner box

spectre

Arcane
Since we
same with barb that has to run 3-shout setup to generate enough fury to spam their core skill.
Barbarians are sadly underdeveloped, with basically two and a half endgame valid builds. It wasn't my favorite class in D2, but I understand where the salt is coming from.
FWIW, The Rend based barbarian doesn't use three shouts.

However, since we're comparing it to D2 (makes sense for me, I'm rather fresh from a full D2R playthrough), Druid and Necro feel really improved compared to D2
with excellent skills, flavor and flexibility (and incidentally have the most variety of builds, with 5 endgame viable, basically one for each key passive).

I did try several different builds at 25 but that's a pointless comparison because the content is too easy for it to matter. Again, if legitimacy to something is conditional upon having to experienced it personally, then nobody in this clown thread can talk jack shit about builds until all of you provide evidence of you personally having cleared end-game content with for example, a sorc build using only 2 defensive abilities to disprove these issues.
You cannot really build anything at level 25 because you don't have access to legendary aspects - legendary items barely drop at that level, I think my characters had one or two.
Some are in dungeons in areas with level requirement of 30-40+.

Also, IIRC the class specialization wasn't in, or wasn't in for all characters, in the betas.

Why are legendary aspects important? They turn meh skills to stuff you can build around.
Let's take Rogue for example. If you want to go ranged, Penetrating Shot underperforms until you get the aspect that turns it to AoE
If you want the melee rogue everyone plays, you need the legendary aspect for twisting blades which can be gotten from a 30+ area in Scogsglen.
Same for Sorcerer. The Aspect for Ice Shards (together with slotting frost bolt in enchant slot which comes from class specialization)
transforms it from a rather poor single target skill to something that melts an entire room in seconds.

And we haven't gotten into building around unique items, which I've only reliably gotten from Helltides thus far, which are 50+ level.

Then there's paragon boards. A lot of it is meh +10% to this and +10% to that, but that's scratching the surface.
Consider Druid with and without anything in the Paragon board. The regular skill tree doesn't give you much in terms of
spirit generation, while there's a dedicated board which lets you expand the spirit pool and stack plenty of spirit on kill effects.
Couple it with the percentage bonuses you get from stats and the regular skill tree and it basically solves any issues with resource generation
you may have had up to this point.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You cannot really build anything at level 25 because you don't have access to legendary aspects - legendary items barely drop at that level, I think my characters had one or two.
again - in beta they dropped like candies. that's the point. people who played beta had an opportunity to experiment with builds. you could fill all your slots with legendaries with 1-2 trips to event currency exchange wommyn.

abija

Prophet
When people discuss depth in build diversity they only refer to end-game content. Every ARPG in existence can provide build diversity to campaign / mid-tier content. It's completely irrelevant to discuss build diversity in this context. In D4:s end-game content the build diversity is abysmal, it's just a matter of fact. If a sorc is pigeonholed into a build with 4 defensive abilities there is not a whole lot of room for customization, same with barb that has to run 3-shout setup to generate enough fury to spam their core skill. That's another thing. In D4, much like D3, all builds are about a select few core skills so by design the pool of builds is already very limited.

What you call endgame (lvl 70+, wt 4) build diversity is fine. Certainly on different tiers than your beloved D2. Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsmaQvWoDf4
If you had played the game you would have known there's not much difference between that and lvl 25 in terms of difficulty, provided you actually looked at the gear before selling and understood game mechanics.

The actual hard content some try to do at 100, is a whole different issue. It's still better to have it in and use that information to tune the game. But you are talking about build diversity from the spectrum of hard content (or hardcore speedrunners). Sure you can inform yourself from youtube, but content needs time to get there and you also need to scour since most recommended guys are just farming the algorithm.

What really takes the piss is you mentioning D2 when even locking in 3 shouts and berserker for barb provides a lot more build depth/diversity than what D2 had.

Also, IIRC the class specialization wasn't in, or wasn't in for all characters, in the betas.

First beta had very high drop rate for legendaries. Server slam had it similar with release.

Angthoron

Arcane

First beta had very high drop rate for legendaries. Server slam had it similar with release.
It did, but unless they allowed the entire pool to drop, you'd not see most of the legendary effects in the beta, since some of them depend on the level, and others depend on world difficulty (only dropping on 3 and/or 4)

Saravan

Savant

What you call endgame (lvl 70+, wt 4) build diversity is fine. Certainly on different tiers than your beloved D2. Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsmaQvWoDf4
If you had played the game you would have known there's not much difference between that and lvl 25 in terms of difficulty, provided you actually looked at the gear before selling and understood game mechanics.

The actual hard content some try to do at 100, is a whole different issue. It's still better to have it in and use that information to tune the game. But you are talking about build diversity from the spectrum of hard content (or hardcore speedrunners). Sure you can inform yourself from youtube, but content needs time to get there and you also need to scour since most recommended guys are just farming the algorithm.

What really takes the piss is you mentioning D2 when even locking in 3 shouts and berserker for barb provides a lot more build depth/diversity than what D2 had.

Lol'ing at you trying to make a point about me only talking about 'hype builds' and the only example you can provide is the leap build which is literally the barb build being hyped everywhere right now. That leap build will be instakilled a few tiers further into NMD due to lack of defensives from shout. You aren't making a point about build diversity by trying to talk about viability in the narrow range of lvl 70-80. +lvl 70 implies the entire spectrum from there to ultra end game, but you seem too autistic to grasp that.

As for every build being locked into 3 shouts having more depth than D2 is just straight up delusional, no point in discussing that.

Saravan

Savant
Since we
same with barb that has to run 3-shout setup to generate enough fury to spam their core skill.
Barbarians are sadly underdeveloped, with basically two and a half endgame valid builds. It wasn't my favorite class in D2, but I understand where the salt is coming from.
FWIW, The Rend based barbarian doesn't use three shouts.

However, since we're comparing it to D2 (makes sense for me, I'm rather fresh from a full D2R playthrough), Druid and Necro feel really improved compared to D2
with excellent skills, flavor and flexibility (and incidentally have the most variety of builds, with 5 endgame viable, basically one for each key passive).

Why are legendary aspects important? They turn meh skills to stuff you can build around.
Let's take Rogue for example. If you want to go ranged, Penetrating Shot underperforms until you get the aspect that turns it to AoE
If you want the melee rogue everyone plays, you need the legendary aspect for twisting blades which can be gotten from a 30+ area in Scogsglen.
Same for Sorcerer. The Aspect for Ice Shards (together with slotting frost bolt in enchant slot which comes from class specialization)
transforms it from a rather poor single target skill to something that melts an entire room in seconds.

And we haven't gotten into building around unique items, which I've only reliably gotten from Helltides thus far, which are 50+ level.

Then there's paragon boards. A lot of it is meh +10% to this and +10% to that, but that's scratching the surface.
Consider Druid with and without anything in the Paragon board. The regular skill tree doesn't give you much in terms of
spirit generation, while there's a dedicated board which lets you expand the spirit pool and stack plenty of spirit on kill effects.
Couple it with the percentage bonuses you get from stats and the regular skill tree and it basically solves any issues with resource generation
you may have had up to this point.
What was even the point of this post? I literally am saying it's pointless to discuss build diversity by 'experimenting' at a lvl 25 cap. Then I move on to say that if we are just going to sit here and say that you have to personally play through something to have a say in it then by all means please go ahead and post evidence of you clearing end game content outside the narrow build options available. No? Ok then stfu about 'yOu DiDnT pLaY iT".

abija

Prophet
If your definition is everything lvl 70+ to tier 100 nm dungeons and lilith, then you are simply full of shit talking about build diversity (even doubled down with "singer"). Only comparable content as difficulty in other games is deep delve and maybe custom poe leagues. And those don't really shine in build diversity either. D2, GD, Lost Epoch, Wolcen, w/e don't even have an equivalent metric.

As for every build being locked into 3 shouts having more depth than D2 is just straight up delusional, no point in discussing that.
I said 3 shouts and zerker. 2 skill slots, 50-80% of the talent tree, aspects, paragons >> D2.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot

Have you been paying attention to the clock? It works very regularly for me. Time of day stays the same no matter what I do within the hour: the moment the clock goes from (e.g.) 8:59 to 9:00 and I teleport, the time of day immediately changes.

Saravan

Savant
If your definition is everything lvl 70+ to tier 100 nm dungeons and lilith, then you are simply full of shit talking about build diversity (even doubled down with "singer"). Only comparable content as difficulty in other games is deep delve and maybe custom poe leagues. And those don't really shine in build diversity either. D2, GD, Lost Epoch, Wolcen, w/e don't even have an equivalent metric.

I said 3 shouts and zerker. 2 skill slots, 50-80% of the talent tree, aspects, paragons >> D2.
Please post evidence of you running a barb with no more than 1 shout ability that is clearing end-game content. Until then you are just talking shit.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Let's take Rogue for example
Part of the problem with Build Meta is the First Mover effect--everyone tends to copy whoever posts builds earliest and loudest. With Rogue everyone seems to be building around dumb skills. Penetrating shot or Deathtrap; why not both? Twisting blades is a shitty skill that is only used for cooldown reduction, but the effect is minimal and totally worthless against bosses. With the trap passive I can reset Deathtrap with one Poison trap, both of which are great on their own, while Deathtrap conveniently draws enemies into a cluster for Penetrating shot, no AoE aspect required (though it does make it even better). Add in Shadow Imbue for extra AoE punch or Poison for single-target damage (my preference), and Concealment for a guaranteed crit or escape, and the damage is substantial. You end up with a build that is both versatile and strong, without the weaknesses presented by the Meta builds, which tend to be either AoE or boss killers.

But I'm not a streamer, so no one cares.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I can't imagine why people wouldn't use Rapid Fire as their core skill for the Rogue. Maybe it drops in efficiency on higher levels, but so far (at lvl 47 rn) it wrecks, especially when combined with skills that cause Vulnerable+Chilled/Freeze. I played through the whole campaign on WTII and only had a hard time with one boss (Duriel).

This is why I don't google builds. Normalize shaming people who play games with walkthroughs and guides. :lol:

abija

Prophet
Please post evidence of you running a barb with no more than 1 shout ability that is clearing end-game content. Until then you are just talking shit.
Specify exactly what you mean by end game content. You already threw a fit with that random barb build.

If you mean nightmare 80+/lilith you've set the filter too high for build diversity. You cannot discuss build diversity in a vacuum. PoE has more builds than all other arpgs combined. If you require some high deep delve, it suddenly has barely any builds viable
D2 and Lost Epoch are very easy, anything that makes sense goes. That doesn't mean they are some gems of build diversity/balance.

I've said this several times, you're just eating shit and moving the goal post.

Saravan

Savant
Specify exactly what you mean by end game content. You already threw a fit with that random barb build.

If you mean nightmare 80+/lilith you've set the filter too high for build diversity. You cannot discuss build diversity in a vacuum. PoE has more builds than all other arpgs combined. If you require some high deep delve, it suddenly has barely any builds viable
D2 and Lost Epoch are very easy, anything that makes sense goes. That doesn't mean they are some gems of build diversity/balance.

I've said this several times, you're just eating shit and moving the goal post.
Cool, so you got no evidence.

abija

Prophet
Did you specify? At least make it clear if you're just shit posting for the sake of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom