Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
is that how eastern eu game devs look like
eew i suddenly like california

b4148af082846d05243a70ecc6528190--gif-gif-the-joker.jpg
The+Game+Awards+2019+Arrivals+tmXo7b7Vvn1x.jpg

What the fuck is that even?

That guy should be punished for a total lack of fashion sense.

The girl's shoes are very nice though.
Cute toes.

Dexter

Arcane
So, how does one get a piece of the mainstream awards pie? At least how do you get to be the one hipster choice they choose to show that they aren't completely corrupt?
You need to get an "in" with the Progressive SanFran/New York "game journo" clique that vote for this shit, audience score was like a negligible 10%, the rest comes from outlets like Polygon, The Verge, VICE, Venturebeat, EuroGamer, Ars Technica, Kotaku and the likes, a lot of which's staff if they're not outright Commies or SJWs themselves, have strong sympathies towards any apparent allies: https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

Gone Home is a good example to follow and their connection with other game journalists both personally and through their "Idle Thumbs Podcast" back then, of which the Firewatch developers were also part of and got to benefit of later

However, being tongue-bathed by these websites or even showered with awards doesn't necessarily mean particular commercial or popular success. While Gone Home and Firewatch were moderately successful, other pushes like for the "spiritual sequel" to Gone Home, Tacoma failed utterly, as did their push for Sunset or Where the Water Tastes Like Wine.

Even considering the four awards they just got, you need to also put their "success" in perspective, SteamSpy estimates they've sold somewhere between 100-200k copies for the past 3 months: https://steamspy.com/app/632470

For comparison, BONEWORKS, a VR-only game that released just 3 days ago and was mostly shilled directly to the audience sold between 200-500k copies in 3 days: https://steamspy.com/app/823500

This also came up in the "Steam Platform Discussion Thread" when J_C got butthurt that Disco Elysium wasn't nominated for "Outstanding Visual Style", since it's a user-driven instead of journalist-driven nomination: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1723120578733145556

Disco Elysium is a tiny niche game and will likely remain this even compared to something like Pillars of Eternity 1&2, Tyranny or Torment no matter how many "awards" it gets and is not anywhere close to the user engagement or popularity of some of its "would-be competitors" in some of these user choice categories on Steam:
ZmCQrUP.jpg

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure where the butthurt towards the ZA/UM people's attitude is coming from. The fact that the communist developers of this game -- a game funded in no small part by Estonian oligarch money, perhaps even as part of a money laundering scheme -- can openly proclaim their admiration for Marx and Engels is a reflection of capitalism's current power. Get on a stage and profess your love for Marx and Engels all you want -- because the reality is that by doing so, you will have shown yourself as a costumed curiosity, a bit of a novelty before the next event. Capitalism has never been stronger. I agree that this sucks (not because the alternative is idyllic communism, though), but it is how it is. Communists can have all the video game shows or message boards or Codex threads they like. Fuck does Capitalism care? (It doesn't care LOGIC [Easy: Success] -- because it has everything else.)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It's just that they made a really good game.
Yeah, I won't know until its at most $15. I do want to play it, eventually.
Not sure where the butthurt towards the ZA/UM people's attitude is coming from. The fact that the communist developers of this game -- a game funded in no small part by Estonian oligarch money, perhaps even as part of a money laundering scheme -- can openly proclaim their admiration for Marx and Engels is a reflection of capitalism's current power.
Its a consolation prize for all of Marx's predictions failing.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Marx wasn't wrong about a whole lot. It's just that he never quite imagined an armed revolutionary guard would interpret his ideas into an attempt at implementing utopian transformation. He made no such forecast. From his perspective, his connection to world events is actually rather tenuous. Historically he's closer to what Disco Elysium calls a moralist -- evolutionary, gradualist, believing in democratic means such as elections, worker party competition and so on.

Trashos

Arcane
I am all for freedom of speech, but communists (just like islamists) proven their hatred to any opinion that don't fit their paradigm and abuse state power to get rid of criticism. So I don't see a reason why they should be treated any better than "dissidents" of their regimes in countless prisons and death camps.

Freedom of speech is there to protect the speakers even when you hate what they are saying, and even when what they are saying can be considered dangerous for society. In fact, it has no much use in other cases.

Reconsider.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
I am all for freedom of speech, but communists (just like islamists) proven their hatred to any opinion that don't fit their paradigm and abuse state power to get rid of criticism. So I don't see a reason why they should be treated any better than "dissidents" of their regimes in countless prisons and death camps.

Freedom of speech is there to protect the speakers even when you hate what they are saying, and even when what they are saying can be considered dangerous for society. In fact, it has no much use in other cases.

Reconsider.

It's not as easy as that.

Prime Junta

When is your cool article about helping ZA/UM finally coming out?

Might be a while. It turned out too gonzo even by Codexian standards and I spiked it.

The short version is that I had a pretty fucking nasty 2017-2018, involving a few high points but more illness and death than is strictly enjoyable, with my collaboration with ZA/UM and Disco Elysium interleaved with it.

I would like to tell that story but I haven't yet figured out how to do it in a way that there wouldn't be possible splash damage that I don't want to risk. Just listing my interactions with them isn't very cool at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom