Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Molina

Savant
I don't care about the drama (I won't pick up this skill).
But. In terms of roleplay. Can we play many characters as Arcanum/Fallout? With a particular feeling for each of them?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a very dedicated fan club. Small, admittedly, but dedicated. Maybe you should ask them?
Hey, come on, I like you... most of the time. Please don't lump me in with these nerds. That comment was just my snarky way of pointing out that you don't seem interested in getting people to play this who are still on the fence, and also that I'm about 97% sure that your "best writing ever" claim is complete bullshit. I still am very excited by the 3% chance that it might not be.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm about 97% sure that your "best writing ever" claim is complete bullshit.

I think he honestly believes that. It's just that people have so widely different assumptions about what constitutes good writing, that it doesn't say much in itself. We have to wait and see until the games comes out to check whether it works for each of us

Molina

Savant
But. In terms of roleplay. Can we play many characters as Arcanum/Fallout? With a particular feeling for each of them?

I don't understand the question. Can you elaborate?
There's a promise to play any cop. Is that real? Is playing a Thinker so different from playing a Bully? And above all, is there a lot of different archetype beyond the three they present to us?

Got bored and left

Also, just because the standards for video game writing are so incredibly low, anything competent is gonna stand out. Having said that, the tidbits we've seen so far look promising (at least for my pretentious, English degree-infested eye). I'm anxious to find out what the rest looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forget whether or not the "writing" is good. Is the main arc - the story of the mystery you're investigating - compelling? Or is just a MacGuffin and the real point is to go around experiencing weird Thought Cabinet encounters?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Forget whether or not the "writing" is good. Is the main arc - the story of the mystery you're investigating - compelling? Or is just a MacGuffin and the real point is to go around experiencing weird Thought Cabinet encounters?

You can't compartmentalize writing away from plot that way, those aspects are intricately linked. If the writing is utter shit, then the story will not be compelling, if the story is shit, even the best writing in the world will feel hollow and empty

Prime Junta

There's a promise to play any cop. Is that real? Is playing a Thinker so different from playing a Bully? And above all, is there a lot of different archetype beyond the three they present to us?

Yes, it really is. The game reinforces this in multiple ways. It's wonderfully frustrating in locking little secrets and tidbits behind skill checks, and your dialogue options change dramatically depending on your build and your Thoughts.

But anyway, that's been gone over several times already. If you don't believe it at this point I guess you'll just have to wait :checks: 11 days to find out for yourself.

I think he honestly believes that. It's just that people have so widely different assumptions about what constitutes good writing, that it doesn't say much in itself. We have to wait and see until the games comes out to check whether it works for each of us

Yes I do honestly believe it. I can't think of any cRPG with better writing. PS:T is the only one I'd rate as about equally good. Some of the Witchers get close in the best bits, the Bloody Baron quest for example is in the ballpark, and VtM: Bloodlines dialogues at their best are also comparable, but IMO neither of them have the depth and range.

But yeah it is subjective and I don't think there's much point arguing about rankings; I am quite confident that even kritikal kodex konsensus will put this in the top tier with these games writing-wise.

Prime Junta

I'll have to be very careful in how I answer this because I really am only supposed to talk about the first day, so let me put it this way: you really are a cop, you really are investigating a murder mystery, and it really is a competently crafted one.

Prime Junta

Oh, that reminds me, does the game have any sort of economy? Do you need to buy stuff?

Yes. You start out owing 130 réal for rent.* There are also all kinds of people hawking stuff -- a pawnshop, a guy selling shit that fell off the back of a truck, a kid selling a suspiciously new set of gym pants and illegal narcotics, a liquor shop, and a bunch more. You can get money by pawning junk, soliciting bribes, extortion, begging, collecting empty bottles and turning them in at a convenience store, and so on.

*Exact sum subject to change

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, that reminds me, does the game have any sort of economy? Do you need to buy stuff?

Yes. You start out owing 130 réal for rent.* There are also all kinds of people hawking stuff -- a pawnshop, a guy selling shit that fell off the back of a truck, a kid selling a suspiciously new set of gym pants and illegal narcotics, a liquor shop, and a bunch more. You can get money by pawning junk, soliciting bribes, extortion, begging, collecting empty bottles and turning them in at a convenience store, and so on.

Is there a shop interface for buying items, or is it all done through dialogue?

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't the cops in Revachol get a salary, or did our character already drink his last paycheck or something?

The pay is shit. You drank your paycheck and ran up a tab.

Accepting donations from concerned citizens is permitted, however, as long as they are properly logged.
Can't I just work for a gamedev company to shill their products for money?

Codex Year of the Donut

Is the spoiler going to be that you're not really a cop after all?
The spoiler is that you're dead and reliving your life solving your own murder.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Damn, this is too much like real life. Over here is it impossible to go to any larger food store without a bunch of people waiting to turn in their (bags of) bottles...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom