Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Remember that Harry has been having those "seizures" for a while now (traffic cop chick during the ending).

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
In my playthrough as a high psyche s★u★p★e★r★s★t★a★r cop, the corpse told me on Day 1 that he was killed by communism

Do you know what's sad? I played a 1 1 5 5 build and every single bit of dialogue that you posted was the exact same on my end
I don't get those dialogues yet in my secondo play. In the first yes, in the second no. Both have High psyche but the second one I dumped motorics (but used lonesome way for perception) so I didn't shot the corpse and wasn't there when Measurehead sawed the tree.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Instead, he simply loved an unworthy woman a bit too much and idealized her to the point she became his Dolores Dei, the setting's greatest human who ever lived, which is nice and does send a certain message but is also a bit underwhelming compared to my expectations.

But if you have your own Dolores Dei, it just hits you in the perfect spot because you fully understand.

Prime Junta

But if you have your own Dolores Dei, it just hits you in the perfect spot because you fully understand.

Yeah to properly appreciate this game you need to have your heart broken at least once.

Get out there and meet some fellow humans, stat.

more seriously

that part was really fucking well done

It had it all, the physical lust and longing, the idealisation, the golden, perfect, paradisiacal past, and then the realisation that fuck me, she was just another human lost in the wild like the rest of us, trying to make the best of it in her muddled way, and being a GIANT BITCH about it :cries some more:

Prime Junta

... come to think of it ...

That cock carousel line. I just realised that there's another layer of irony there.

It turns out that you were the chad -- and she dumped you for some beta with nice shoes and a steady paycheck.

vota DC

Augur
Any way to meet Pigs woman for my gun without Evrat? Also not working for Evrat just means less xpoints? There are very few mutually esclusive things.
Also Prime Junta will be always killed at the end of the game?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Any way to meet Pigs woman for my gun without Evrat? Also not working for Evrat just means less xpoints? There are very few mutually esclusive things.
Also Prime Junta will be always killed at the end of the game?

No.
Yes.
Theory is, if you don't talk to him, he survives.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The mandatory shivers check is one of the worst sabotages the game performs towards itself tbh.

It's worse than the tribunal being triggered at a certain story point rather than at a certain time, or not being able to investigate the island earlier.

The game's idea is to let you play any copotype you want, but then it makes one specific skill mandatory at one point, and it's not a trivial check either? Yeah, you can improve your chances by doing surrounding quests, but still.

Prime Junta

Can't I just be allowed to stay with my wife? I love her and don't want to leave, but if it is required to truly appreciate this game...

I think you may be permitted to reconcile with her after a suitable period of heartbreak and despair has passed. Would that work as a compromise solution?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Can't I just be allowed to stay with my wife? I love her and don't want to leave, but if it is required to truly appreciate this game...

I think you may be permitted to reconcile with her after a suitable period of heartbreak and despair has passed. Would that work as a compromise solution?

Wouldn't that stand in contradiction with the message of game the that you should move on?

I will think on it, cRPGs are serious business after all.

vota DC

Augur
The mandatory shivers check is one of the worst sabotages the game performs towards itself tbh.

It's worse than the tribunal being triggered at a certain story point rather than at a certain time, or not being able to investigate the island earlier.

The game's idea is to let you play any copotype you want, but then it makes one specific skill mandatory at one point, and it's not a trivial check either? Yeah, you can improve your chances by doing surrounding quests, but still.
I don't get any shivers if I go there without having clue about Ruby. I went there without speaking with hardies, union boss or even inspecting the corpse because I want to finish the game as clueless possible. Day 7 and no shivers yet I guess I must talk with hardies...anyway never recovering car or speaking Evrat should have a huge impact.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

In the dream, she tells you that for you it will probably take 20 years to move on.

So if you reconcile after 20 years that should also do the trick.

Just tell your wife, "Babe, we need to take a 20 year break. It would be too hard to explain, just... trust me."

And when you return 20 years later she'll tell you "Harry, we can't be together because you're insane."

Shadenuat

Arcane
seems to me no.

and that is my problem with this game.

I'm catching a whiff of cut content there.
I'm catching too much time put into million of words instead of working on quest structure and their design.

I guess I might as well throw in there level design: after 2d playthrough, claustrophobic nature of it really got on me; Mortuary had more things going for it than very big part of DE. combined with
perception -12 not time yet and
strength -20 crowbar weak

really got me.

Also it's interesting how game punishes player for trying to break into church before talking to boyz (high check and you lose crowbar). developers want you to follow their narrative.

Last edited:
Now I wonder - perhaps halving the xp gain to 5xp per minor task and 35xp per major task would lead to more variation between playthroughs, since it will be less possible to beef up every investigation-crucial skill. Kyl Von Kull what do you think, since you pointed out - and I agree - that the game is perhaps too generous with skill points?

I suppose that to some people it won't even matter since its possible to savescum every check, but for those of us who play with some sort of self-imposed limitation (I will reiterate that I really don't think these should be self-imposed - the game should have been designed with a limited save/load system in place) I feel like it would make character progression choices more meaningful.

EDIT: This also seems like a very elegant way to do difficulty options. Hard mode: halved xp gain. Then autosaves-only an optional thing you can toggle on regardless of difficulty.

Prime Junta

EDIT: This also seems like a very elegant way to do difficulty options. Hard mode: halved xp gain. Then autosaves-only an optional thing you can toggle on regardless of difficulty.

Yeah baby, this is the way to go. Straightedge = 150% XP. Smoker = 100% XP. Alcoholic = 75% XP. Junkie = 50% XP. Suicidal = 25% XP.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Most peoples favorite quest: bookstore quest

You go through linear level and shout into the pipe. Quest complete.

Yes, there is a lot of great context and dialogue, but replaying this quest, since it doesn't have any other entrance points or branching is not very interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom