Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Harry always a school teacher btw, did anyone get any other background there?

Gym teacher in particular on my playthrough.

Egosphere

Arcane
That kind of makes the whole ending absurdist in a way. Has anything changed for Harry? He might have stopped drinking and doing drugs, but his heart will keep on bleeding. Every night he tears the wounds open again. How long 'till he relapses again?

You make a promise to the phasmid that you'll get over it. That's gotta mean something.

I think its no coincidence that you face 3 of your (former?) colleagues at the end of the game either. I distinctly remember thinking - oh shit, here is Harry's tribunal. I can't remember whether or not the same track played during both the actual tribunal and the final pseudo-tribunal but it would be cool if it did.

No. The music for the tribunal:

The music for the ending:

Best 2 tracks in the game, though, imo. Maybe the dicemaker track is up there as well.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how you can't really do anything about Kuuno or Cunoesse. If this was a traditional RPG, you'd come up with some bullshit solution to fix their broken lives.

And at the same time, Pigs gets magically taken care off.

You can save Cuno... or well, get him on a better life-path, if Kim gets shot and he joins you for the last bit of the game.

vota DC

Augur
I like how you can't really do anything about Kuuno or Cunoesse. If this was a traditional RPG, you'd come up with some bullshit solution to fix their broken lives.

You can save Cuno... or well, get him on a better life-path, if Kim gets shot and he joins you for the last bit of the game.

He defends you in final dialogue?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He defends you in final dialogue?

Police station took him in as young detective, some kind of youth program. And you promised to look out for him, or well, my char did.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That kind of makes the whole ending absurdist in a way. Has anything changed for Harry? He might have stopped drinking and doing drugs, but his heart will keep on bleeding. Every night he tears the wounds open again. How long 'till he relapses again?

You make a promise to the phasmid that you'll get over it. That's gotta mean something.

I think its no coincidence that you face 3 of your (former?) colleagues at the end of the game either. I distinctly remember thinking - oh shit, here is Harry's tribunal. I can't remember whether or not the same track played during both the actual tribunal and the final pseudo-tribunal but it would be cool if it did.

No. The music for the tribunal:

The music for the ending:

Best 2 tracks in the game, though, imo. Maybe the dicemaker track is up there as well.

Disco Elysium soundtrack is basically the expansion of british sea power's album 'from the sea to the land beyond'

Thats as BSP fan it immediatelly came to me. Same kinda melancholy, sense of longing. Hell if you take any random song from the album you can fit it into the game and people wont even notice

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Okay, i double checked. If you have spotify, check out this song titled "red rock riviera" by BSP. The same melody is used literally in the game.

Cannot find on youtube somehow because the album is part of this soundtrack for documentary. ( i listen to BSP because they show up on spotify reccomendation few years ago , and i looked up but never really go in detail. I knew their albums but not the story behind each of them. Interesting really)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Come on, that isn't even a choice. You let Kim get shot? Your bro? Your waifu? Fuck, you even internalised homo-sexuality for him!

I mean, look at those numbers:

Baddest Of the Bad Cops
Hit an all time low with Kim

0.6 % of players have this achievement

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Come on, that isn't even a choice. You let Kim get shot? Your bro? Your waifu? Fuck, you even internalised homo-sexuality for him!

He was my bro, and tried to protect me, but I failed a 86% roll or something and that was it. Now Cuno is my bro ;)

Egosphere

Arcane
Okay, i double checked. If you have spotify, check out this song titled "red rock riviera" by BSP. The same melody is used literally in the game.

Cannot find on youtube somehow because the album is part of this soundtrack for documentary. ( i listen to BSP because they show up on spotify reccomendation few years ago , and i looked up but never really go in detail. I knew their albums but not the story behind each of them. Interesting really)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Disco Elysium soundtrack is basically the expansion of british sea power's album 'from the sea to the land beyond'

Listening to this now. It is good and does have the same vibe. TY

The Smallest Church in San-Saens is a grittier cover of “The Smallest Church in Sussex” from their first album. “The Great Skua” and “No Man Is An Archipelago” might also ring some bells.

jackofshadows

Magister
2. how the hell do you solve that quest TO MAKE A WALL BEAUTIFUL. I went to the Skull girl, did a conceptualization checked, got it on the first and... Thats it. Pls dont tell me the only solution is to fail the check.
I passed that check first, read about phoenix and stuff but stumble at that too: Cindy refuse to give the brush. Out of curiosity I reload, failed that check, and she just gave me the brush coz "shitty artist should help each other" or some shit. After that I went to the wall and saw that I can choose only from different phrases plus some "3500 years human image". So I thought there is a way to paint that "phoenix" from conseptualisation check, maybe extend quest by calling homo from balcony coz Harry lack of art skills or whatever. I reload one more time, but turned out it just requered to went upstairs, straight to her so the line appears "now I cornered you" thus she gave up and the rest of quest remains the same.

Guys, in the end, I did figure out all except who was that person called the police in the first place?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

Ah the video is blocked in my country so thats why it wont show up

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guess I am ready to form my opinion on the game. Completed it couple of days ago, playtime is 30 hours.

Since I am too lazy to separate spoilery parts from non-spoilery I am posting this small wall of text here.

First impression was a mind blowing. Days 1-2 give an unparalleled freedom in roleplay, tasks and approaches to solving them. Only hitch is that everything happens on the same, pretty cramped map. World-opening at the day 3 was a welcome relief from a growing claustrophobia. Day 3 was also a time when disappointment started to crawl in. Due to RP choices, my own incompetence or a bug (?) I ended up with situation, where all my options to find Ruby were reduced to scamming Shivers check on the wall to progress the main plot. Felt really weird and flow-breaking. Linear Tribunal and gated island access right after had not improved situation. But I rather liked the final and glad that ZA/UM avoided dragging out a plot for a playtime sake.

Any letdowns in the story are easily covered by characters. Cast hits a perfect note in relatable/wacky balance. It is so easy to care about them or be proud of the hard-won friendships. I also loved a little things like catching Kuno when he stops talking about himself third-person or figuring out that Measurehead was born in Revachol and has no idea of the race he is "perfect embodiment of".

Lore is a bit of mixed bug. For me it shined the most at the explanation about Pale and isolas and revelation that the world is almost eaten by Entropy at this point and nobody cares hit me harder than anything in recent fiction. So well timed story-wise, when you had a chance to grew attached to the people around. Apocalyptic cop was suddenly right all along.

But in some parts (I blame high Encyclopedia) game was drowning me with unnecessary details about geography and politics. Quite annoying cause the most names in the setting has almost supra-natural ability to slip from my memory without a trace. Politics were often extra bad since a bit later in game it condensed into four mandatory retarded answers in random dialogues. No wonder that I ended up being centrist for using "let just skip this" option.

I also really liked how game accommodates every "type" of Harry - he is gym coach (phys builds) turned into can-opener police officer (int variance) with "make world better" idea, and later adopts drunken-menace-superstar act (psyche for art-cop) trying, and failing, to cope with heartbreak and burnout. He also has ridiculous amount of flair that makes him feel much more as his own person than a player's avatar. And so damn sad that I just don't have it in me to explore the path where he hits a rock bottom with drugs and alcohol and gets kicked out of force. I am not this cruel.

All in all, it is so nice to have a game that tries to do something new with a story, lore and characters. Influences are easy to see but defining Disco Elysium as "P:T spiritual successor" is almost offensive. There are so much more.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Some way into playthrough #2. There was a ton of stuff I missed the first time...

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
The more I think about the ending, the more confident I am that I like it. I like it a lot, in fact. Not so much the final conversation, in which I thought the seams were a little too visible, but the part on the island.

I understand the complaints about the Deserter undermining the police work you did leading up to the finale, and I have complaints of my own regarding how you get there. The thing is, the entire investigation has already been undermined before that, by the tribunal. I said earlier in the thread that the tribunal was when I stopped trying to fit the wacky extremist character I had envisioned into the game, and realised that the thing I most wanted to do was to prevent the deaths of Titus and the Hardie boys, "roleplaying" be damned. I failed to protect them, and although it's clear in retrospect that there's no way to prevent a bloodbath, at the time it felt like my fault for not having been dilligent enough in my investigation, or for saying the wrong things to the mercenaries. The tribunal, I think, is the real catharsis of the story, and it *has* to be a failure for the whole thing to work. I ended up telling them Klaasje was the culprit, more out of desperation than because I really believed it. Would they have believed me if I had arrested her? Should I have? Could all this have been avoided if I had just kept my gun holstered and my tongue straight? The game has shown enough C&C at this point to convince you that these questions are legitimate. You're supposed to feel as though you could've done more, and I for one felt pretty bad about the way things turned out, even though I got close to the optimal outcome. To make this convincing, the illusion of choice is absolutely essential.

Then you go to the island, out of obligation to your station or to Kim, or determination to see the case through even though it feels like you missed your window. You find a broken old man who acted on an irrational vendetta and doesn't know or care what he has set in motion, and you realise the whole cascade of events culminating in the shootout was utterly needless. Flap of a butterfly's wings and all that. The discovery that there wasn't a mastermind behind it all, but rather just a random loony Gavrilo Princip at the wrong place at the right time, really hammers home the tragedy of the thing, as well as Klaasje's torment and Ruby's death (if you fail to save her) in a way that wouldn't be possible if you had gotten to Sherlock Holmes your way to the killer. Essentially it changes the course of the plot from a whodunnit to a tragedy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom