Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Parabalus

Arcane
From minmaxing perspective, most of Thought Cabinet stuff is pretty useless or detrimental. It takes 1 skill point to unlock an additional slot, then another to remove a useless skill. They'd be good had I spoiled myself, otherwise it's a skill point sink.

Regarding the "just keep failing" bullshit: this is an RPG and skill checks are meant to be passed. Even if I can't talk the antagonist to death, this was always the way and why should it not be the way now?

You need the TC to allow you to put skill points into skills in which you have low stats.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I expected something legendary from ending but game just kinda ended. maybe I missed something.

Ending sucked. but there's a really good final conversation that's super nice.

-The very ending kinda sucked for me. A lot of the stuff working up to it was pretty good even though it wasn't necessarily where I would've liked to the story to go personally. But the final moments were completely off tonally speaking from what I would've liked personally. It did not feel satisfying to me, not in terms of "wrapping it up" and definitely not emotionally.

The ending was weird. I'm not sure whether or not I liked it, to be honest.

This will become a common complain about the game.

It's a good game with a sub-par ending.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You need the TC to allow you to put skill points into skills in which you have low stats.

But then again you can put most attribute points into INT and PSY, and one in MOT/DEX. Then you don't have to keep unlocking stuff that turns out to be bad.

Parabalus

Arcane

But then again you can put most attribute points into INT and PSY, and one in MOT/DEX. Then you don't have to keep unlocking stuff that turns out to be bad.

That's what I did, but that meant I needed TC skills which raised the caps for yellows and reds.

Shadenuat

Arcane
From minmaxing perspective, most of Thought Cabinet stuff is pretty useless or detrimental
Unless you know beforehand what thought actually does. But yes.
I wonder if there is something there than reduces morale or endurance since if there is, it means it is possible to die from thinking :shittydog:

How do you get the
stronger prybar?
I don't understand why the check there is so high. It would make sense if maybe player could pawn the item from there but I don't think it's possible.

vota DC

Augur
I am forced to not take in the car the body of the hanged guy in day 1 if I want his boots. Ok, now day 2.....Kim arrested Klaasje and left the body there again....He can do both things I guess there isn't space.
With Klaasje I have 3 option, one is arrest her another is non arrest that seems tame since she lied too many times, the other is police call that would imply they will interrogate her? It is good enough the police call so I can use Kim for the rest of the day and get rid of that corpse?

Solved it with a bug

Arrested her, read postcard that makes me pass away, Kim awakes me, I put the corpse in the car and Kim go away again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hello
why is everybody
doing this?
We're being considerate and trying not to spoil everything for people who haven't finished the game yet.
But you knew that already.
People that haven't finished the game yet should be playing the game instead of bitching about muh spoilers. Go fuck yourself spoilerfag!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People that haven't finished the game yet should be playing the game instead of bitching about muh spoilers. Go fuck yourself spoilerfag!
You've made it clear that you don't care if you ruin other people's enjoyment, but surely it's no skin off your back if the rest of us do?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
So if you go to the bookstore and skim over the Dick Mullen books,
one of your skills points out that they have nothing to do with real detective work. In reality, solving crimes requires you to chase down lots of bad leads and comb over the same areas until maybe you find something that cracks the case wide open. I think this is a good description of everything from day 3 until the tribunal.

I agree that
you should be able to ask to sail to the island early—that’s a missed opportunity. There are plenty of good reasons why you can’t and shouldn’t do that, but it would be better if Kim explicitly pointed them out to you rather than leaving it unaddressed.

For example, you know the tribunal is coming. It would be irresponsible to leave the mainland when a band of war criminals are planning a mass execution. Especially since the people they want to kill are the closest thing Martinais has to a police force other than you and Kim.

You already have one suspect who’s on the run. Ruby appears to be one step ahead of you—and you know from her truck that she’s very good at messing with radio frequencies (turns out she is in fact spying on both the police band and the mercenary band). If you go to the island she’ll get away. You don’t know all of that before you meet her, but you have enough information to conclude that she’ll run. Kim could say, “we’re in pursuit of a suspect, Lieutenant, we’re not going sightseeing.”

Plus, your visual calculus tells you the island is the lowest probability place to look for the killer—IIRC it’s like 2%. Kim could say he’s not letting you get on a boat until you’ve run down the leads that are more likely. Or they could just have Joyce deny you the use of her boat since the fisherwoman’s skiff is being caulked until after the tribunal.

But, yeah, it would be better if they gave you the option to ask and then had Kim or Joyce shoot you down.

Re: the supernatural. Strange Fellow did you
do any of the church quests? Because they get quite explicit with the supernatural stuff there. The crab man, the hole in the fabric of reality, the stories your encyclopedia can tell you about Dolores Dei and her glowing lungs at the stained glass window.

Also, if you tell Joyce what Evrart’s up to—that it’s a takeover—she tells you this big story about the discovery of the new world that’s heavy on the supernatural. And one of the reality lowdown checks with her gives you a ton of information on the pale, which is the most supernatural element of the setting.

Elysium isn’t even a sphere! It’s an archipelago of *isolas* floating in a sea of pale, which is like someththing between a formless void and raw chaos.

So, for me, the Phasmid wasn’t even the weirdest thing I’d encountered. The crab man is definitely more unnatural. Especially since your potential conversation with the Phasmid is locked behind inland empire checks, so it could just be your imagination.

Re: thought cabinet. Some thoughts do unlock new dialogue options and change bits of your internal monologue. If you equip the Contact Mike thought, for example, you can tell lots of inspiring stories about how your favorite boxer overcame adversity.
makes the revelation of your original job even funnier

Off the top of my head, the Kras Mazov thought unlocks new dialogue. It’s hard to tell with the copotypes and the ideologies, but I think they can give you new options, too (I know a lot of those choices are there regardless, but not all of them).

Twiglard you can do fine with 1s in INT and PSY, too. The stats are well balanced in terms of letting you progress the story. If anything, playing with high FYS is easy mode (not puking before the autopsy, getting through Measurehead, the Shivers check outside the FELD building). Raising the skill caps is a huge mechanical benefit.

IHaveHugeNick if you didn’t want to play as a low INT character, you shouldn’t have played as a low INT character.

Everyone has repeatedly said that different builds lead to a very different experience. Stat selection is almost like choosing your companions for the whole game. They’re all useful, but obviously running with INT is not the same as running with FYS.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
long post

high Perception is needed for the Crab man
4C6AC5AACE605FD3968F0506D35DFA705C8B3031

the game's writers wanted to say something ...
FAF2B7B7E1333C71F46FD183826AB39B32752F04

love hurts ...
A170E8A09B57049A772895CBD5AC35BD4C31E93F

the date with Lilienne was special...
8CAB3F470FDE160EA4A7EF0A5B2228AED3DAEC16

after the mercs trial... if Kim dies then you are awakened by Cuno
5A6901A30D1DE2D9AA4010C0932F6C2078A03372

i explore with a boombox on my shoulder (one of the best moments in the game)
AB5EC18CC10202847AC84FB0FD5849A948A7AFF3

dolores is a cunt...
C9E9401AD2A3C756F8E77DDECD64711AECE5E755

Cuno doesn't give a shit about this game's ending.
AB0039282A1544CDE4D53022A4581EE47BF679CF

7 days in Revachol
438E71C25E3BF1F5C6888AB24D6176848AA3F498

Shadenuat

Arcane
The political stuff was poor. The "muh commie propaganda" people are clueless idiots who haven't played the game, but that doesn't mean they're wrong in saying that, for the most part, the political comments you can make and persuations you can adopt are boring caricatures which aren't even particularly funny. Satire across the spectrum was the right way to go, and the game isn't scared to insult people
For people who expect some harsh and accurate political commentary with particularly black humor or at least commentary as sharp as it goes in real life, I think you will be disappointed.

I found Disco Elysium more sentimental than anything else.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You've made it clear that you don't care if you ruin other people's enjoyment, but surely it's no skin off your back if the rest of us do?
Stop being such a melodramatic bitch lol,i haven't ruin anyone's enjoyment of the game with my generalized posts lol. If you get butthurt by my post then you are getting butthurt from all the screenshots with dialogue in them. Using spoilers for every general thing you say just show how dumb people are. Spoilers should be used for actual spoiler shit!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The political stuff was poor. The "muh commie propaganda" people are clueless idiots who haven't played the game, but that doesn't mean they're wrong in saying that, for the most part, the political comments you can make and persuations you can adopt are boring caricatures which aren't even particularly funny. Satire across the spectrum was the right way to go, and the game isn't scared to insult people
For people who expect some harsh and accurate political commentary with particularly black humor or at least commentary as sharp as it goes in real life, I think you will be disappointed.

I found Disco Elysium more sentimental than anything else.
Ahh sure,but there is some political humour,they did mocked every political group.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Well I can confirm the game runs on a toaster (I asked about this a few days ago). Question: I'm taking my sweet time to do stuff, talking with people and so on, I'm halfway the first day and still haven't investigated the corpse, should I worry about getting timed out of things, or can you take your sweet time to do things?

Also, in case I replay this, how important are the experience levels here? I'm finding a lot of EXP by exhausting convo options and I'm not sure I want to read all that again in a second playthrough (doing right now a 4413, my idea for the 2nd time around was a straightfoward physical cop)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
If you get butthurt by my post then you are getting butthurt from all the screenshots with dialogue in them.
And yet you were the only one who spoiled me. Only slightly, that's true, but still. I know I can't force you not to post spoilers, but I am happy that everyone else uses the tags, at least.
I didn't, I expected it to be funny. For the most part I was disappointed, and the explicitly political humour was a good step below the rest of it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well I can confirm the game runs on a toaster (I asked about this a few days ago). Question: I'm taking my sweet time to do stuff, talking with people and so on, I'm halfway the first day and still haven't investigated the corpse, should I worry about getting timed out of things, or can you take your sweet time to do things?

Also, in case I replay this, how important are the experience levels here? I'm finding a lot of EXP by exhausting convo options and I'm not sure I want to read all that again in a second playthrough (doing right now a 4413, maybe try a physical char the 2nd time around)
It will be best to take down the corpse in the first day and talk with the faction leaders on the first day. Also don't forget to take his boots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom