Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Tigranes

Arcane
A question from someone still back in Day 4, a fairly simple one about the boardwalk area

I'm supposed to check out the area as a possible sniper spot, but I found & reported the fellow there before I activated that task. I can go to Land's End and properly scout out the area, but the boardwalk, there's nothing to do anymore except the trashcan? '

Or do I have to first 'check out the mural more closely'? Because I've talked to the dude and looked closely at both walls with no new option.

Prime Junta

A question from someone still back in Day 4, a fairly simple one about the boardwalk area

I'm supposed to check out the area as a possible sniper spot, but I found & reported the fellow there before I activated that task. I can go to Land's End and properly scout out the area, but the boardwalk, there's nothing to do anymore except the trashcan? '

Or do I have to first 'check out the mural more closely'? Because I've talked to the dude and looked closely at both walls with no new option.

Second option.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Here I was, 8 hours in, enjoying the game.

When all of a sudden, the 4th wall explodes and there's this dice-maker chick character who starts pompously telling me there's no "curses" in business (and the protag can only say stupid shit, while she sounds "Super Smart" in comparison, while spouting typical "free market" agitprop). So there's no curses, only hard work, and the reason all these other VIDEO GAME COMPANIES failed is because they had EGO PROBLEMS and were FOOLS, while ZA/UM are a bunch of GENIUS and HARD WORKING guys and that's why they made something HISTORICALLY UNPRECEDENTED and FASCINATING. A bit pompous, self-referential and pretentious, aren't we? The tone of the protag turning to stupid was wow. I have a strong feeling this dialogue was written by a dumb cunt (chick).

The entire tone of the game is very subtle, but this here was a hammer to the face. Very out of place.

I dropped the conversation, went out of the building and quit the game. Feeling annoyed.

I don't even have anything against the free market. It's just the bluntness and the stupidity of the propaganda, and the eccentricity with which infantile examples are presented as "DEEP THOUGHTS" was wow. Just fucking wow.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I don't even have anything against the free market. It's just the bluntness and the stupidity of the propaganda, and of her "examples" was wow. Just fucking wow.

It turns out she's wrong though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3. Bargaining <---- this is you.
Trying bargain down your pre-launch expectations from "unprecedented freedom" all the way down to "look, reading meaningless flavor is the whole point".
My observation about the lifeblood of the game really has nothing to do with previous expectations. Playing the game I got, the text is what drives it, and differences in the text are what drive my interest. (I'm not going to play the game through 4 times nonstop - I don't do that with any game really - but it would be cool to watch a friend play it and see the different choices they make, or try again in a couple years with a totally different character.)

A VN? I mean, okay, let's look through that lens. When was it going to (structurally) be anything but a VN? A bunch of dialogue and branching choices. Gated by stats and dice rolls, but still that. So what points have you really scored there?

Would I have been happier with a million choices and a million different ways the story could go, without sacrificing any of the depth we did get? Of course. Was I convinced that that was what I should honestly expect? You tell me; you seem to have ideas about what I was thinking that I'm not aware of. Is it possible you're projecting?

Whatever direction it goes in, all this mind reading is quite appropriate when talking about this game. :obviously:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Before you get that option,
You need to ask the old washerwoman about Ruby, then when she refuses to give information, search her cottage (the one she lets you sleep in for free) and ask her about Ruby again. Also, Kim needs to be with you when you inspect the mural. There might be an easy passive Shivers check you need to pass, too, but it’s low enough that you can do it with 1 in Shivers + the RCM raincoat, man from Hjemdall t-shirt, and the scarf that you find near the lighthouse.

Here I was, 8 hours in, enjoying the game.

When all of a sudden, the 4th wall explodes and there's this dice-maker chick character who starts pompously telling me there's no "curses" in business (and the protag can only say stupid shit, while she sounds "Super Smart" in comparison, while spouting typical "free market" agitprop). So there's no curses, only hard work, and the reason all these other VIDEO GAME COMPANIES failed is because they had EGO PROBLEMS and were FOOLS, while ZA/UM are a bunch of GENIUS and HARD WORKING guys and that's why they made something HISTORICALLY UNPRECEDENTED and FASCINATING. A bit pompous, self-referential and pretentious, aren't we? The tone of the protag turning to stupid was wow. I have a strong feeling this dialogue was written by a dumb cunt (chick).

Jeez, Bester, this is a major misread of what’s happening. All the Fortress Accident stuff is ZA/UM mocking itself and no one else. Their studio used to be called Fortress Occident. They’re making fun of the fact that people at ZA/UM have ego problems and often make foolish decisions (and the writers never meet their deadlines and they probably had way too many artists and not enough producers). Their self-insert studio was a catastrophic failure.

Plus, as Junta pointed out,
the dice maker is just plain wrong. After you do a later sidequest in the church, you’ll learn why the doomed commercial area is cursed. That should unlock a Shivers check and if you pass it, you can figure out why the dicemaker escaped the curse and then explain it to her, causing much butthurt.

Prime Junta

not enough producers

They had many producers. Many, many producers. They went through producers like Stakhanov through a coal vein. The quantity of producers was assuredly not a problem. I'm pretty sure there's a rehabilitation centre somewhere for former ZA/UM producers.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You can't convince me this character was written by regular staff. Not only the tone is vastly different, even the huge number of replies and the unedited long answers are all pointing to the fact that some chick wrote it and someone white knighted for her so it wouldn't get cut.

Games usually have a writing guide. This is the only character that doesn't follow it. In lots of ways, too.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
You can't convince me this character was written by regular staff. Not only the tone is vastly different, even the huge number of replies and the unedited long answers are all pointing to the fact that some chick wrote it and someone white knighted for her so it wouldn't get cut.

Games usually have a writing guide. This is the only character that doesn't follow it. In lots of ways, too.

I don’t know, I feel like you’re reading her as an author insert, but the actual author insert is Fortress Accident, and that’s coloring your reaction here.

not enough producers

They had many producers. Many, many producers. They went through producers like Stakhanov through a coal vein. The quantity of producers was assuredly not a problem. I'm pretty sure there's a rehabilitation centre somewhere for former ZA/UM producers.

I guess not that particular detail—they didn’t try to voice 10,000 heads either—but it’s crazy to read that floor as “this is why other studios fail and why we are awesome.”

Prime Junta

I didn't finish the church quest.

What's the deal with the curse and the dicemaker?

Ask in the spoiler thread if you really want to know.

I would strongly recommend you save it for a later playthrough to discover for yourself though, even if you don't want to start one now. (I just found out yesterday and IT BLEW MY MIND)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the whole church quest part of the "Fortress Accident" red herring? If yes, I'd leave it for another playthrough, because I feel I'm wasting too much time and things will blow up after day 4.

tenor.gif

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Is the whole church quest part of the "Fortress Accident" red herring? If yes, I'd leave it for another playthrough, because I feel I'm wasting too much time and things will blow up after day 4.

Don’t worry about running out of time.

Edit: Really, IHaveHugeNick, on my most extensive run I made it to day 6 before triggering the endgame without running out of time. Things do not blow up after day 4.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom