Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

sullynathan

Arcane
Been a long time since I played D:OS so I have questions for D:OS2 while playing. Is there any downside to just destroying chests instead of picking them? I was hauling these big chests for almost 10 hours but decided to destroy them, and I just got some rather good items with nothing broken.

It feels like something is wrong, like I'm exploiting the game from getting so much XP from all these different sources. Will Fort Joy ever be repopulated? Will that Elf girl in the cave ever come with me?

This part is about lore and story.

I have the skeleton companion and he's looking for faces. I stumbled upon some old woman who stol his masks and beat her and got it. I can turn him to human, elf, dwarf or lizard. The game kept giving me tips about eating people to gain their memories as an elf, so I transformed into an eld. So, I've been hoarding corpses for a while now and ate like 12 of them and got a bunch of skills/spells from eating them which is pretty cool for the my skeleton. Afterwards, I went back to Fort Joy dungeon and met the dungeon guy that had his original device to rip faces, and took it. How do I go by making the new faces? Is there any place where I would want to use the face maker instead of the helmet that already gives him a face of every race?

For one, when did Elves become carnivores/cannibals? Don't remember this in D:OS. Is everyone in this setting able to use magic, given enough training or buying magic supplies like TES? Is source the only super special magic you have to be born with the ability to do? The source stuff reminded me of tranquil stuff from Dragon Age, which means there's probably some way to revert it. How am I supposed to get source points and will any of my companions ever lose their collars? What's the point of the collars any way if we can still do magic?

I was semi interested to know a bit about the lore of this world, but after watching a YouTube summary, all I got is that it's really dumb, inconsistent and schizophrenic.

Bara

Arcane
The only downside to breaking chests as far as I'm aware is the time it takes. Or wasting your weapon durability if your bashing chests instead of just burning/blasting them with magic or fire.

Dead stay dead in fort joy as far as I'm aware whatever you do there will only reflect in the ending slides.

As for elf girl leaves the island when you do and does so each time you transition to a new act. I didn't really follow her story as she only changed one slide and there wasn't really all that much to do with her with a custom character at least. If you play the predefinded elf character maybe interactions change with her?

Only need one faceripper the second one is a spare in case you never got it from the old lady. As for faces you don't unlock any more you just become a generic dwarf,human,elf, or lizard to hide your identity or use their racial interactions in dialogues.

As for elves eating flesh for memories and divinity lore in general.... don't follow the story in this too seriously or much at all really. Like I don't even understand where DOS2 falls in the time line with Damien anymore.

The next game (if it's still on the table after BG3 is done) Divnity: Fallen heroes is supposed to be a direct continuation from DOS2 as all the companions from that one are back doesn't at all with figuring the timeline. Yet Damien is back again even though everyone kept talking about how the Divine killed Damien with death fog in DOS2. Unless they're pulling time travel again like they did with Ego Draconis?

Divine Divinity to DOS1 I could map out easily in my head but DOS2 kinda threw things around and I don't know exactly where to fit.

For those currently playing still a question for you. Does the combat randomizer that gives one foe in each combat a special perk/powerup spice combat up or is it just meh? Might try the definitive edition after I wrap up a couple games.

sullynathan

Arcane
The only downside to breaking chests as far as I'm aware is the time it takes. Or wasting your weapon durability if your bashing chests instead of just burning/blasting them with magic or fire.
That's fair. On one hand it makes sense why loot wouldn't destroy from smashing a chest, on the other hand it does sound like it belittles the thieving skill because I was carrying massive chests to eventually get skills to open them but ended up breaking said chests and just getting the loot anyway.

Also, where do companions go when you kick them out?

Last edited:

taomcio

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Arrow Spray is still in the game, ahahahahahahah. This game must be Josh's worst nightmare: everything is completely broken and nobody cares.
Well, wait until You try Fane's Time Warp combined with Apotheosis and some 3-point-source skills like Pyroplastic Eruption, especially when lone wolf trait is active.
:swen:

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm coming to to finishing Chapter 2. Found the ice dragon, have a lot of good gear once I realized merchants change gear every time I level up and I've done just about every quest but there's one about that woman who lost her daughter that I don't know if he kid is real or really dead. Moving on to the final fight.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm coming to to finishing Chapter 2. Found the ice dragon, have a lot of good gear once I realized merchants change gear every time I level up and I've done just about every quest but there's one about that woman who lost her daughter that I don't know if he kid is real or really dead. Moving on to the final fight.
I couldn't find the kid and, since nothing appeared in my journal, I just assumed the guy next to her was right and she was gone crazy. It's a bit strange how this game handles his journal, so a quest that doesn't appear on it wouldn't be completely out of the question (there's at least one in Act 2), but I couldn't find any clue anywhere on the island.

There's a missing child also in Act 2, so maybe it's some kind of strange conspiracy.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I just realized that after nearly 60 hours I'm still not fed up with the soundtrack. How is this even possible, Swen? How did you do this? It's incredibly good compared to the previous game.

Jinn

Arcane
I just realized that after nearly 60 hours I'm still not fed up with the soundtrack. How is this even possible, Swen? How did you do this? It's incredibly good compared to the previous game.

The new composer did a pretty good job, but did you really just forsake our dearly departed Kirill in this post? For shame...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bobby can't replace Kirill. I caught myself singing the tunes in D:OS1 while I was playing, D:OS2 doesn't come close.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Maybe I have some sort of problem, but I HATED D:OS 1 soundtrack. Before leaving Cyseal I decided to mute the music and just put whatever I wanted on. Periodically I tried to go back and turn the music on, but it never worked for me and I always had to turn everything off after less than an hour. D:OS 2 music is far more enjoyable to me, but I really know nothing about these Kirill and Bobby.

Saravan

Savant
Maybe I have some sort of problem, but I HATED D:OS 1 soundtrack. Before leaving Cyseal I decided to mute the music and just put whatever I wanted on. Periodically I tried to go back and turn the music on, but it never worked for me and I always had to turn everything off after less than an hour. D:OS 2 music is far more enjoyable to me, but I really know nothing about these Kirill and Bobby.

Sighs of the elvenkind from Divine Divinity is one of the best songs I've ever heard in a RPG.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Sighs of the elvenkind from Divine Divinity is one of the best songs I ever heard in a RPG.
Never played anything from Larian other than D:OS, but I'm going to catch up soon.

sullynathan

Arcane
There's something questionable about the physical and magical armor interpretation. What's the usual things people dislike about this game and which other divinity games are recommended?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Thanks to how they implemented initiative, encounters initiation works in a completely retarded way and it's driving me crazy.

If you approach the enemy with a single character while the others are hidden on a vantage point, the enemy spots only your single character and, when the encounter begins, the other characters aren't in the fight. This means that, if you join the fight with them, they will all be at the end of the initiative queue and every single enemy will act before them. You can join the fight with an attack, but that's far from a complete turn, since you can't spend all your action points.

If you put all your characters on the vantage point and initiate the fight with an attack, only the attacking character joins the fight and you have the same outcome.

This leaves only two open possibilities:
- you can avoid using the element of surprise and just walk on the enemy with your entire party. Fine by me, but it's so stupid it makes my brain hurt;
- you exploit this ridiculously flawed system, either deploying traps with characters outside the encounter and then joining the fight with a single spell that activates your traps (instantly concluding the encounter) or entering dialogue with the main boss with a single characters and then killing the other enemies with the rest of your party (because OBVIOUSLY if a character is locked into a dialogue doesn't care about you murdering his companions).

I NEVER use mods for anything, but I'm looking right now for something that can fix this.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Thanks to how they implemented initiative, encounters initiation works in a completely retarded way and it's driving me crazy.

If you approach the enemy with a single character while the others are hidden on a vantage point, the enemy spots only your single character and, when the encounter begins, the other characters aren't in the fight. This means that, if you join the fight with them, they will all be at the end of the initiative queue and every single enemy will act before them. You can join the fight with an attack, but that's far from a complete turn, since you can't spend all your action points.

If you put all your characters on the vantage point and initiate the fight with an attack, only the attacking character joins the fight and you have the same outcome.

- you can avoid using the element of surprise and just walk on the enemy with your entire party. Fine by me, but it's so stupid it makes my brain hurt;
- you exploit this ridiculously flawed system, either deploying traps with characters outside the encounter and then joining the fight with a single spell that activates your traps (instantly concluding the encounter) or entering dialogue with the main boss with a single characters and then killing the other enemies with the rest of your party (because OBVIOUSLY if a character is locked into a dialogue doesn't care about you murdering his companions).

I NEVER use mods for anything, but I'm looking right now for something that can fix this.
You can also initiate combat, during your turn use chameleon cloak. The next turn, delay your turn instead of acting and then wait for all the enemies to have a turn. Then attack once with each companion to enter combat. They will all be entered after your current character, but because you are the last character in the queue they all go at once.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

You can also initiate combat, during your turn use chameleon cloak. The next turn, delay your turn instead of acting and then wait for all the enemies to have a turn. Then attack once with each companion to enter combat. They will all be ended after your current character, but because you are the last character in the queue they all go at once.
That just makes me hate the whole thing more.

Sharpedge

Prophet

You can also initiate combat, during your turn use chameleon cloak. The next turn, delay your turn instead of acting and then wait for all the enemies to have a turn. Then attack once with each companion to enter combat. They will all be ended after your current character, but because you are the last character in the queue they all go at once.
It is stupid yes for multiple reasons and because of the alternating initiative order it makes initiative a dump stat. The only reason to take wits is for the critical strike, nothing more.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

It is stupid yes for multiple reasons and because of the alternating initiative order it makes initiative a dump stat. The only reason to take wits is for the critical strike, nothing more.
In certain situations, it's even worse than a dump stat: it's a stat that, if increased, can actively harm you. I had to unequip a +X initiative item on one of my characters because he reached an higher initiative value than my Glass Cannon Lohse and she has to go first or she is useless. This pseudo round-robin is the worst crap I've ever seen, the armor system is masterpiece in comparison.

There's a mod to fix initiative order afaik.
I'm searching, but I'm afraid to break the game even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom