Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does DoS2 fix the annoying thing with the animations where you sometimes click a character and then he moves out the way and you end up clicking the wrong place?

Nope, and its a headeache, as i have to reload, when i accidentally click some junk like i would be an idiot petty thief, who want to steal tin fork in a broad daylight and throw whole city against me...
Well that's ridiculous :c

KateMicucci

Arcane
since not only die it remove unnecessary randomness and allow the player to plan their turn more thoughtfully
Hmmmm, should I blast this guy's armor until it wears off so I can finally use the skills that my build grants me and have fun?
Seems like pointless tedium to me, not planning.
If you can't think deeper than hitting something until it dies it's no wonder that the extra depth the armor system offers is giving you a hard time.

These are the sorts of things I think about with the armor system:
-My knight is doing good physical damage, but should I spec him into a class with some magical CC's for when he fights enemies with low or no magic armor, or should he concentrate on stacking more physical damage?
-My summoner has oil and blood surfaces available, and the enemy has no physical armor but still has magic armor. Should he blood summon to apply the bleed and damage health, or would the slow from an oil summon be more useful?
-A character has low health and no physical or magical armor left. Should I cast a spell to heal him, regenerate his physical armor, or regenerate his magical armor? Healing means he'll be CC'd, but regening the wrong kind of armor means he'll die.

Yes, the very hard, and tactical, decision of "this enemy has more physical than magical armor, so should I attack with physical or magical damage?". Such choice and depth. Wow, Sawyer should get in on this.
Are you basing that assessment on the five minutes you played in the tutorial?

Sentinel

Arcane
since not only die it remove unnecessary randomness and allow the player to plan their turn more thoughtfully
Hmmmm, should I blast this guy's armor until it wears off so I can finally use the skills that my build grants me and have fun?
If you can't think deeper than hitting something until it dies it's no wonder that the extra depth the armor system offers is giving you a hard time.

-My knight is doing good physical damage, but should I spec him into a class with some magical CC's for when he fights enemies with low or no magic armor, or should he concentrate on stacking more physical damage?
-My summoner has oil and blood surfaces available, and the enemy has no physical armor but still has magic armor. Should he blood summon to apply the bleed and damage health, or would the slow from an oil summon be more useful?
-A character has low health and no physical or magical armor left. Should I cast a spell to heal him, regenerate his physical armor, or regenerate his magical armor? Healing means he'll be CC'd, but regening the wrong kind of armor means he'll die.

Yes, the very hard, and tactical, decision of "this enemy has more physical than magical armor, so should I attack with physical or magical damage?". Such choice and depth. Wow, Sawyer should get in on this.
All the same questions could be posed with a die system.

Murk

Arcane
I fucked around a bit on the bridge near the armory fight with the voidwoken + skellies and the more I see it the more I think that bridge is either bugged or intentionally made with a barrier to stop you from cheesing it from a high vantage point. Still cheesable tho, so either way it's janky.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've went for the all out mages party with two pyros, one summoner, and one hydro, and can't even nuke propertly... Even if i manage to strip magic shields, its too late because enemy will tear my armor with ease, apply backstab, bleeding, decaying, disease, curse and plethora of other shit statuses, before i can apply my CC such as rain+froze, or some blinding, muting, etc.

I played a mage party and I had the same issue. Hard to nuke anything when everyone is teleporting all over the map and I can't CC them for shit.

Yeah nuke mages do seem to suck some serious silverback balls in DOS2. I'm playing two fighters, a ranger and an elemental mage and this dude is starting to feel like a liability. He's somewhat useful as a utility/buffer caster but as for dealing damage, forget it.

IMO the problem is this - most nuke spells are actually AoEs and as such they have penalty on dmg, to balance out their ability to hit a wide area (plus do elemental combos). There are very few single-target nuke spells. But with enemies constantly whizzing around the battlefield the AoE effect is completely wasted in most situations. More often than not you hit one of your guys and one baddie instead of two or more baddies.

I'm just about ready to respec my mage into a summoner/necromancer. I've held on so long only because the elemental combo fireworks was such a load of fun in DOS1. But here it's disappointing, sadly.

imweasel

I am running into characters who are obsessed with fucking lizardmen. The game even has a quest which is solely about fucking a lizardman or lizardwoman (screenshot). You even get 6000 XP for finishing this "quest". :roll:

Fucking libtard writers and their lizardmen dicking obsession. Exact same shit with Bioware. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into some trannies too.

MOlJl0u.jpg

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yeah nuke mages do seem to suck some serious silverback balls in DOS2. I'm playing two fighters, a ranger and an elemental mage and this dude is starting to feel like a liability. He's somewhat useful as a utility/buffer caster but as for dealing damage, forget it.

IMO the problem is this - most nuke spells are actually AoEs and as such they have penalty on dmg, to balance out their ability to hit a wide area (plus do elemental combos). There are very few single-target nuke spells. But with enemies constantly whizzing around the battlefield the AoE effect is completely wasted in most situations. More often than not you hit one of your guys and one baddie instead of two or more baddies.

I'm just about ready to respec my mage into a summoner/necromancer. I've held on so long only because the elemental combo fireworks was such a load of fun in DOS1. But here it's disappointing, sadly.
I haven't played a pure wizardy wizard since EA, where I got about the same impression of them. The utility is good but the damage is lacking. And since most physical save abilities are tied to weapons, it's hard for a staff/wand mage to diversify into anti-phys CC's. Elemental CC's are also weaker than the other schools. You need either 2+ magic damage dealers to effectively penetrate armor, or none, and just put some magic save abilities on physical weapon characters.

In OS1, one of the most powerful builds was a double-wand witch. Maybe you'll have better results if you concentrate more on using your wands and less on your spells? Just speculating.

imweasel

There is also some dialogue with a random magister, roughly paraphrased: "she is putting her whole career on the line to get dicked by a lizardman, but she can't resist because they are presumably the best lovers in all of Rivellon".

:retarded:
Damnit Swen, I asked for high fantasy and not some fucked up libtard sexual fantasies. :M

Mortmal

Arcane

It's only the tip of the iceberg its a very versatile system wich allow great tactical opportunities.
My necromancer can cast an hybrid hydro/necro spell, should i cast rain blood on my character then cast bloodsucking on them to heal,(great healing by the way!) or cast the blood on the black tentacles thing to revive them and curse enemies then maybe set it on fire to create necro fire?
Oh wait if that oil barrel goes down there the necro fire will spread even further! Hmm how good is that necrofire acording enemy resistance? Or maybe cast bone cage as theres many corpses so i can buff up my tank a lot wich has conveniently the source king unique helm allowing to transfer all damage received to anyone else, that if you discovered its hidden ability, no rather cast the corpse eating summon and block the way , then teleport my archer up there to get 20% bonus. No ! i teleport sebille instead in the back of the mob to get high ground+ backstab bonus, yes and buff her with her elven racial and choose to sacrifice a bit of health for more damage , yes it will overcome the physical armor but maybe if i switch some gems on her daggers it will deal magic instead and overcome it faster, no maybe more piercing instead... choices ...choices...

There's so many combinations i never seen anything better in any game, even KOTC, there's also great use of landscape , knock down and attack opportunities. Its way way above anything else, there's no rpg who ever did combat better.

GrapeJam

Novice
You know, it really baffles that the game's been in EA for so long yet even at release this is probably one of, if not, the most poorly balanced RPGs released in the past few years, even far worse than Pillars of Eternity at release, and PoE had no EA iirc. The skills balancing is shit, and the balance of encounter designs is just hilarious, and mind numbingly frustating.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have to say I am surprised by the difficulty of tactician in this game. It was a joke in DOS 1, but very well done in 2. My biggest complaint is that dying is no big deal. I would have to try much harder if I had to keep my party alive, or if there was some sort of negative to dying like dead members do not receive xp. Also, the fucking camera is annoying as fuck. I thought the real rpg genre has matured past this shit. Fixed camera is the way to do a gameplay focused game for non-retards. Chardev could definitely use some help, and the itemization is kind of annoying since there are such huge jumps in gear stats every level making leveling and buying equipment annoying, but so far there isn't any vastly OP crafting.

I love the inclusion of the magic and physical armor a lot more than I hate it - I would have went all mage or all physical had I known how it would pan out.

The balancing is fucking perfect - I can barely get through the tough fights that should be memorable, and the filler fights are easy and usually fast, with some pleasantly surprisingly good filler fights out of nowhere. I really thought this game was going to be aimed at console retards and be even more devoid of challenge as DOS 1, but it was made for adults and rpg fans. I am very, very surprised by this. The combat is slightly less well done than the epic encounters mod for DOS 1, but the (so far) set AP, memory, what looks to be soul point gating for some abilities I have just gotten fresh off the boat to the new area with the first new town, magic and physical armor, make it tied so far. The epic encounters mod for this version should be more about changing and making the chargen and chardev more interesting since the abilities and encounters are so well balanced on tactician.

Sjukob

Arcane
Well they did good job but voidbugs in cave are exactly trash mobs, as well as copy pasted cultists. Scarecrows are tough but you've yet to find most broken shit (especially due to initiative) like Hanagh fight, so prepare your anus
How's he ? The only fight I found tough was against voidwoken + skeletons ambush at marshes . Even Alexander and Lady Vengence fights were easy for me .

Fucking libtard writers and their lizardmen dicking obsession. Exact same shit with Bioware. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into some trannies too
You haven't seen the life if you weren't with a lizard . But yeah they kinda stretched it too far , talking to Red Prince about his past can randomly result in him saying you "Let's fuck" straight up , no matter your gender .

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is also some dialogue with a random magister, roughly paraphrased: "she is putting her whole career on the line to get dicked by a lizardman, but she can't resist because they are presumably the best lovers in all of Rivellon".

:retarded:
Damnit Swen, I asked for high fantasy and not some fucked up libtard sexual fantasies. :M
why is everything a libtard agenday for you guys? It is just random shit some fuck think funny like lusty argonian maid.

I hate sjw as much as the next guy do, but this scary boogeyman sjw agenda of yours is making you look like an idiot

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Tried to play as Fane but the ''I'm too smart'' attitude got old fast and most of the companions have the same attitude,so I rolled a custom origin and plan to kill them all.This is the first RPG I played where all companions are undesirable fucks and really try to piss you at every turn.

Fuck them and fuck their stories too,hirelings ftw.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Fane is the only one who's actively offputting.

I don't care much for Ifan, but that's because he's boring.

Beast and Prince are pleasant. Lohse is inoffensive. Sebille is an edgemaster but somebody has to be.

Seethe

Arbiter
I am running into characters who are obsessed with fucking lizardmen. The game even has a quest which is solely about fucking a lizardman or lizardwoman (screenshot). You even get 6000 XP for finishing this "quest". :roll:

Fucking libtard writers and their lizardmen dicking obsession. Exact same shit with Bioware. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into some trannies too.

MOlJl0u.jpg

Is "libtard" the newest buzzword? What the fuck does anything of what you said have to do with the rest of what you said? Aimlessly shoehorning politics into video games and getting offended over it, in a splendorous display of irony, on the same board where you complain that social justice warriors do the exact same shit. Everything seems like an agenda, when you are mentally ill. To call Larian's intentional ridiculous homor "exact same shit as Bioware" is such of a long stretch, that it makes you a dumbfuck as well, on top of it all.

And that quest allows you to choose any "prostitute". It's not a lizard only specific thing, you get to choose from the innkeep. It's not something that gets shoved down your fragile throat, so it can be expelled by your fragile stomach. Something tells me you got this screenshot from somewhere else and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's "hardcore" about rolling dice?
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=3051

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teen’s brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not necessarily at the same rate. That’s why when teens experience overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.

https://www.livescience.com/17033-gamer-brain-reward-system.html

Compared with the infrequent gamers, the frequent gamers had much larger ventral striatums, a reward center in the brain linked to emotional and motivational aspects of behavior. Problems with this area have been correlated to disorders such as schizophrenia, addiction and obsessive-compulsive behaviors.

The teenagers also played a gambling game while the researchers scanned their brain activity. The frequent gamers were faster at making decisions during the game, and their brains showed more activity in the reward circuit when they lost.

"This indicates that losing money is somehow rewarding for frequent gamers," Kühn told LiveScience. "This could be the neural basis of a phenomenon called 'loss chasing,' which is known from pathological gambling. It describes the phenomenon that pathological gamblers keep on playing even when they lose a lot of money."

This larger brain region could mean that the brain of a gamer releases more dopamine (a brain chemical that helps control the brain's reward and pleasure centers) when playing. This has also been seen when Parkinson's disease patients take dopamine, and they sometimes acquire gambling and other addictions as a result.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-brain-gets-addicted-to-gambling/

The APA based its decision on numerous recent studies in psychology, neuroscience and genetics demonstrating that gambling and drug addiction are far more similar than previously realized. Research in the past two decades has dramatically improved neuroscientists' working model of how the brain changes as an addiction develops. In the middle of our cranium, a series of circuits known as the reward system links various scattered brain regions involved in memory, movement, pleasure and motivation. When we engage in an activity that keeps us alive or helps us pass on our genes, neurons in the reward system squirt out a chemical messenger called dopamine, giving us a little wave of satisfaction and encouraging us to make a habit of enjoying hearty meals and romps in the sack. When stimulated by amphetamine, cocaine or other addictive drugs, the reward system disperses up to 10 times more dopamine than usual.

Continuous use of such drugs robs them of their power to induce euphoria. Addictive substances keep the brain so awash in dopamine that it eventually adapts by producing less of the molecule and becoming less responsive to its effects. As a consequence, addicts build up a tolerance to a drug, needing larger and larger amounts to get high. In severe addiction, people also go through withdrawal—they feel physically ill, cannot sleep and shake uncontrollably—if their brain is deprived of a dopamine-stimulating substance for too long. At the same time, neural pathways connecting the reward circuit to the prefrontal cortex weaken. Resting just above and behind the eyes, the prefrontal cortex helps people tame impulses. In other words, the more an addict uses a drug, the harder it becomes to stop.
images
:troll:

Seethe

Arbiter
Why does everyone from the Sawmill attack me after I silently kill Roost inside? That makes no sense and it reeks of modern ARPG logic.

Murk

Arcane
Apparently I left a lot of loose ends at Ft. Joy. I didn't know Slane had a follow-up to his quest after releasing him. Also a bunch of other minor things I never wrapped up (like the griff's elf prisoner.)

Is the mercenary captain on the ship able to provide full companions or are they limited/temporary? That is, do they function like a custom char basically?

I think I'm hitting partial boredom with a dual wand build tho, and may want to respec into a phys build. I've seen sooooo many awesome two-handed weapons but my wands are stills tuck at 14-17 damage, with the only slightly better options being worth thousands of gold coins. May have to bite the bullet and buy one or two.

Seethe

Arbiter
Apparently I left a lot of loose ends at Ft. Joy. I didn't know Slane had a follow-up to his quest after releasing him. Also a bunch of other minor things I never wrapped up (like the griff's elf prisoner.)

Is the mercenary captain on the ship able to provide full companions or are they limited/temporary? That is, do they function like a custom char basically?

I think I'm hitting partial boredom with a dual wand build tho, and may want to respec into a phys build. I've seen sooooo many awesome two-handed weapons but my wands are stills tuck at 14-17 damage, with the only slightly better options being worth thousands of gold coins. May have to bite the bullet and buy one or two.

The quests at Ft Joy are bugged, including the journal updates. And yeah those are full custom characters.

Quillon

Arcane
7 writers and this fucking journal, shame. Its uninformative, bad looking... too many entries right from the beginning. Its pure shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
speaking of lizard sex, the convo with the witch in the rose cave also made me :prosper: hard

and also, whoever it is that was responsible for the pet pal dialogues, i think he should just seek professional help, because i detect a very strong latent mental disturbance there directed at animal abuse

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom