Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Seethe

Arbiter
I threw away the Obsidian Lancet that is required for the first ritual during the main quest when you meet your God. Aapparently I have to do the ritual again after 50 hours of gameplay, but...I no longer have the Obsidian Lancet to draw blood from myself anymore because I sold it/threw it, essentially giving me an unofficial GAME OVER. Fuck if I remember what I did with the knife, it was like 40+ hours ago. Who knew the fate of the world rested in the hands of a retarded knife.

This bullshit pissed me off so much, I shelved the game. I don't think any other game destroyed my mood to play it as much as this one. So yeah, if you guys are missing the Obsidian Lancet OR/AND the Ritual Bowl and you have no idea where you've placed it, you're fucking screwed.

Brought to you by RPG Codex, a place where people complain about modern RPGs being made for retarded children and about devs aiming their games at brain-dead casuals who can't handle quest items unless game forbids them from doing dumb stuff with important artifacts.

"Important artifacts". An obsidian knife doesn't sound like an important artifact. It sounds like an object you would find again in the game. Name one more game that pulls off this "you just found out you're fucked for what you did 50 hours ago" shit. I do this kind of inventory purging in every game, and it NEVER happened to me before.

Not to mention this game is an inventory nightmare too, can you blame people if they accidentally sold or dropped shit when half of your game time is spent moving stuff between inventories?

Pretty much why I throw almost everything. The inventory bloats so hard i cannot even keep track of anything. I would've definitely saved the knife if the game allowed me to store on Lady Vengeance(and it doesn't work, because it's broken), but with this game's inventory bloat, I would need to go to the ship every 5 minutes.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
You don't want to get involved with hoarding - you don't get to solve puzzles or complete quests.

What next? You'll have to win fights to progress plot? You can create a weak character unable to win the game?

Malpercio

Arcane
The item scaling really pisses me off, if they're going to have stupid MMO type items they may as well have gear that can scale with your level (if this is already a "feature I've not seen it so far) How immersion breaking is it to replace your godly forged hammer unique with a piece of driftwood with a rock attached because you are higher level and it does more damage does not make sense. Even Pillars had a better gear system than this game and that game was "balanced".

Also to the people mentioning the SJWism in the game yes I am noticing it. Be really cool if I can have a checkbox option to turn faggotry off just because I talk to one of my henchmen for RP does not mean I want them to poz my neghole, did they hire bioware writers at larian or something??

What the fuck is SJW about it. Romances were a kickstart goal and you got romances.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've had instances where I've been struck by bad writing, but also when I've been struck by well-written and well-voiced lines.

One dwarf in the Seekers' camp said that the demons "have their [the sourcerers'] number". I don't know how this anachronism passed through editing.
A fantasy game can just about scrape by. It's more jarring listening to 8th Century Danes use modern language in the historical setting of Expeditions: Viking. They have to adapt it for today's audience though, and the writing can feel a little robotic if everybody has a straightforward manner of speech. Years of watching Star Trek seasoning modern idioms with sci-fi spices has allowed me to build up a tolerance.
I know what you mean, after watching 2 seasons of "The Last Kingdom" full of French-derived vocabulary that could have easily been avoided.

Seethe

Arbiter
The item scaling really pisses me off, if they're going to have stupid MMO type items they may as well have gear that can scale with your level (if this is already a "feature I've not seen it so far) How immersion breaking is it to replace your godly forged hammer unique with a piece of driftwood with a rock attached because you are higher level and it does more damage does not make sense. Even Pillars had a better gear system than this game and that game was "balanced".

Also to the people mentioning the SJWism in the game yes I am noticing it. Be really cool if I can have a checkbox option to turn faggotry off just because I talk to one of my henchmen for RP does not mean I want them to poz my neghole, did they hire bioware writers at larian or something??

What the fuck is SJW about it. Romances were a kickstart goal and you got romances.

Honestly I've stopped using that acronym a year ago. It lost all of its meaning, just like "racist", or "sexist". Ironic, I know.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Patch is out
Hi everybody!

After a few hotfixes, we’re happy to announce the first patch for Divinity: Original Sin 2. The focus of this patch has been fixing the issues we’ve seen pop up. Existing savegames will work with this patch.

There will be a further update later today featuring improved German, French, and Russian translations, as well as a series of improvements for the game’s different endings.

Thank you for sending us so much feedback!

The Larian Team

Improvements and changes
  • Added henchman support in the endgame dialog
  • Updated several quest log entries
  • Several inventory settings (filters and sorting) will now be saved
  • Teleporter pyramids are now sent to the Avatar when a companion is dismissed
  • Rune slots are now limited to one slot per item
  • Mass Cleanse Wounds now properly clears Decaying from allies and damages Undead enemies
  • Void-Enhanced Poison now inflicts more damage
  • Reactive armor changes:
    • Cost changed to 2 AP
    • Cooldown changed to 6 turns
    • Damage reduced
  • Fixed Unstable talent not scaling with maximum Vitality like it should. Reduced multiplier to 50%.
  • Fixed Dodging from Leadership not corresponding to amount stated in the tooltip.
  • Loot has been modified in the final boss fight, the demons near bloodmoon island, a corpse in the Wrecker Cave, in and around the Arena of the One
  • Non-recruited Godwoken now have Curse instead of Bless
  • Tweaked XP rewards for certain Voidwoken
  • Fixed certain Voidwoken that create Cursed blood surfaces when they died
  • Updated credits screen
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed journal being updated incorrectly for certain quests
    • Note: For ‘Call to Arms’ and the ‘Imprisoned Elf’, existing savegames may still display the wrong journal entry. This has no impact on the further game.
  • Fixed several crashes, of which the most important ones are:
    • Fixed crash related to reward screen
    • Fixed crash related to loading savegame
    • Fixed crash on dropping an item
    • Fixed crash related to controller disconnect
    • Fixed crash related to the user interface
    • Fixed crash related to Guardian Angel status
  • Fixed incorrect/permanent weather statuses
  • Fixed Player Character being blocked after talking to Nicholas in Reaper’s Coast
  • Fixed not being able to send items to the chests on the Lady Vengeance
  • Fixed cause of savegame issue (resulting in error 302)
    • Existing savegames remain affected for now, but the error will not happen again after this patch
  • Fixed several dialog flags
  • Fixed dialog issues during Sebille and Fane’s origin moments
  • Fixed Cloisterwood Waypoint possibly killing party members due to lava placement
  • Fixed Reimond triggering generic behaviors incorrectly
  • Fixed several alignment issues
  • Fixed Saheila not having enough points in Hydrosophist
  • Fixed eating Alexandar’s head triggering an incorrect achievement
  • Fixed blood puzzle getting stuck if you start the flow of blood before Blessing it
  • Fixed player possibly getting stuck when using context menu to drop a barrel
  • Fixed several tutorial messages
  • Fixed Shapeshift visual being stuck when removed during level change
  • Fixed issue regarding progress bars remaining visible on client side
  • Fixed Play Dead skill causing a combat loop
  • Fixed Oil slugs fight: some enemies were ending their turn incorrectly
  • Fixed origin moment with Saheila in the Elf encampment
  • Disabled the warning that pops up when a player leaves the Magic Mirror without having choosen tags.
  • You can now refuse to consume Roost’s Source
  • Various fixes in the epilogue dialogs
  • Fixed a number of repeating dialog nodes
  • Fixed issue with Fullscreen Gamma settings
  • Fixed not being able to drag items from containers to inventory
  • Fixed issues with Withermoore’s Soul Jar
  • Fixed a bug where trade items could appear in the same inventory slot
  • Improvements to our NAT detection system. This should improve connectivity between players who were having connectivity problems.
  • Malady will now remind you of the companion quests that are left open on Reaper’s coast, even if you are shapeshifted
  • Ifan will no longer have the Undertavern romance moment outside of the Undertavern
  • Fixed an issue where the Source amulet was not working as intended.
  • Fixed an issue where the Slane quest does not close correctly if you kill the Shriekers before freeing him.
  • Fixed sound attenuations being incorrect for some objects.
  • Fixed naming of giant healing potions.
  • Fixed AI characters trying to move out of invalid positions when they are unable to move
  • Fixed the White Magister who kept repeating her shout for every hit during combat.
  • All players will now resurrect after finishing the Arena of the One so that the dialog with Malady can continue correctly afterwards.
  • Fixed an issue where players could be eternally Wet
  • Sebille no longer proclaims she is free when enthralled
  • Fixed the FX of resurrection skills
  • Fixed Ryker not being hostile when player chooses to refuse the quest/ attack
  • Blocked illogical node from Sebille dialog while speaking with Tovah
  • Fixed gamma correction not working in windowed and fake fullscreen mode
  • Fixed issue where Hannag's first greeting after being saved by the player wouldn't give a reward
  • Fixed ‘A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing’ achievement
  • Removed wrong dialog nodes from Fane’s dialogs.
  • Fixed Malady refusing to come to the Lady Vengeance after attacking her on Bloodmoon Island (Really, why would you do that?)
  • You can now tell Malady only once about the Meistr
  • Removed looping from dialogs in the Blackpits.
  • Ex-companions no longer drop loot in the Arena of the One.
  • Voicebarks now play on the correct characters in the Arx death room
  • Fixed a scripting issue wherein a player enters Arx in multiplayer when the host is near the Lady Vengeance, Malady starts a dialog with an incorrect player.
  • If players were betrayed by their friends so they cannot be resurrected anymore and all other players are dead, a ‘game over’ condition has been added.
  • Made it clearer in Cullwood Mills that you are not allowed in
  • Removed Roost’s floating hand near Bloodmoon Island
  • Fixed text in the Gwydian execution scene
  • Fixed Meistr dialog when player performed ritual outside of the cellar
  • Added Ifan origin moments with ghost of Hannah
  • Fixed shapeshifting visual being stuck during level swapping
  • Meistr now reacts logically to being Source Vampirised
  • Fixed Red Prince dialog in Driftwood tavern when he is a companion

UI Fixes
  • Fixed layout problems on the examine window in keyboard mode
  • Fixed various UI text overlaps
  • Added a delay to some tutorial messages, so they do not appear at the start of the game.
  • Allow pinging to work during combat, when it’s not your turn.
  • Added an option to enable/disable sound muting when the game window does not have focus.
  • Re-enabled the drag and drop functionality on the player names in the inventory screen
  • Increased FPS limit to 240 in the options screen
  • Restricted visual lobby name length but added a tooltip showing the full name
  • Fixed an issue where the resolution selection was empty for some players
  • Added a delay to the Hotbar tutorial of 5 minutes so it doesn't trigger as soon as you start a game
  • Fix for some items not being selected when looking at them when playing with a controller
  • Fixed issue with appearance selectors not updating correctly when quickly switching between presets, causing some visual bugs like the voice being wrong on the origin characters in character creation.
  • Fixed aspect ratio issues when using controller in split-screen mode

Arena
  • Fixed a situation where a player is kicked from the lobby when a player presses certain keys to start splitscreen.
  • Fixed issue with ‘ready’ button on client side
  • Fixed some rare selection issue in the character selection screen

GM Mode
  • Overview map. Level popup of existing scenes now closes if GM deletes all scenes.
  • FIxed an issue where after subscribing to a GM campaign, it was not visible.
  • Fixed GameMaster not being able to see invisible items

*Yeah I'm late, missed the update in last page

Seethe

Arbiter
Patch is out
Hi everybody!

After a few hotfixes, we’re happy to announce the first patch for Divinity: Original Sin 2. The focus of this patch has been fixing the issues we’ve seen pop up. Existing savegames will work with this patch.

There will be a further update later today featuring improved German, French, and Russian translations, as well as a series of improvements for the game’s different endings.

Thank you for sending us so much feedback!

The Larian Team

Improvements and changes
  • Added henchman support in the endgame dialog
  • Updated several quest log entries
  • Several inventory settings (filters and sorting) will now be saved
  • Teleporter pyramids are now sent to the Avatar when a companion is dismissed
  • Rune slots are now limited to one slot per item
  • Mass Cleanse Wounds now properly clears Decaying from allies and damages Undead enemies
  • Void-Enhanced Poison now inflicts more damage
  • Reactive armor changes:
    • Cost changed to 2 AP
    • Cooldown changed to 6 turns
    • Damage reduced
  • Fixed Unstable talent not scaling with maximum Vitality like it should. Reduced multiplier to 50%.
  • Fixed Dodging from Leadership not corresponding to amount stated in the tooltip.
  • Loot has been modified in the final boss fight, the demons near bloodmoon island, a corpse in the Wrecker Cave, in and around the Arena of the One
  • Non-recruited Godwoken now have Curse instead of Bless
  • Tweaked XP rewards for certain Voidwoken
  • Fixed certain Voidwoken that create Cursed blood surfaces when they died
  • Updated credits screen
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed journal being updated incorrectly for certain quests
    • Note: For ‘Call to Arms’ and the ‘Imprisoned Elf’, existing savegames may still display the wrong journal entry. This has no impact on the further game.
  • Fixed several crashes, of which the most important ones are:
    • Fixed crash related to reward screen
    • Fixed crash related to loading savegame
    • Fixed crash on dropping an item
    • Fixed crash related to controller disconnect
    • Fixed crash related to the user interface
    • Fixed crash related to Guardian Angel status
  • Fixed incorrect/permanent weather statuses
  • Fixed Player Character being blocked after talking to Nicholas in Reaper’s Coast
  • Fixed not being able to send items to the chests on the Lady Vengeance
  • Fixed cause of savegame issue (resulting in error 302)
    • Existing savegames remain affected for now, but the error will not happen again after this patch
  • Fixed several dialog flags
  • Fixed dialog issues during Sebille and Fane’s origin moments
  • Fixed Cloisterwood Waypoint possibly killing party members due to lava placement
  • Fixed Reimond triggering generic behaviors incorrectly
  • Fixed several alignment issues
  • Fixed Saheila not having enough points in Hydrosophist
  • Fixed eating Alexandar’s head triggering an incorrect achievement
  • Fixed blood puzzle getting stuck if you start the flow of blood before Blessing it
  • Fixed player possibly getting stuck when using context menu to drop a barrel
  • Fixed several tutorial messages
  • Fixed Shapeshift visual being stuck when removed during level change
  • Fixed issue regarding progress bars remaining visible on client side
  • Fixed Play Dead skill causing a combat loop
  • Fixed Oil slugs fight: some enemies were ending their turn incorrectly
  • Fixed origin moment with Saheila in the Elf encampment
  • Disabled the warning that pops up when a player leaves the Magic Mirror without having choosen tags.
  • You can now refuse to consume Roost’s Source
  • Various fixes in the epilogue dialogs
  • Fixed a number of repeating dialog nodes
  • Fixed issue with Fullscreen Gamma settings
  • Fixed not being able to drag items from containers to inventory
  • Fixed issues with Withermoore’s Soul Jar
  • Fixed a bug where trade items could appear in the same inventory slot
  • Improvements to our NAT detection system. This should improve connectivity between players who were having connectivity problems.
  • Malady will now remind you of the companion quests that are left open on Reaper’s coast, even if you are shapeshifted
  • Ifan will no longer have the Undertavern romance moment outside of the Undertavern
  • Fixed an issue where the Source amulet was not working as intended.
  • Fixed an issue where the Slane quest does not close correctly if you kill the Shriekers before freeing him.
  • Fixed sound attenuations being incorrect for some objects.
  • Fixed naming of giant healing potions.
  • Fixed AI characters trying to move out of invalid positions when they are unable to move
  • Fixed the White Magister who kept repeating her shout for every hit during combat.
  • All players will now resurrect after finishing the Arena of the One so that the dialog with Malady can continue correctly afterwards.
  • Fixed an issue where players could be eternally Wet
  • Sebille no longer proclaims she is free when enthralled
  • Fixed the FX of resurrection skills
  • Fixed Ryker not being hostile when player chooses to refuse the quest/ attack
  • Blocked illogical node from Sebille dialog while speaking with Tovah
  • Fixed gamma correction not working in windowed and fake fullscreen mode
  • Fixed issue where Hannag's first greeting after being saved by the player wouldn't give a reward
  • Fixed ‘A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing’ achievement
  • Removed wrong dialog nodes from Fane’s dialogs.
  • Fixed Malady refusing to come to the Lady Vengeance after attacking her on Bloodmoon Island (Really, why would you do that?)
  • You can now tell Malady only once about the Meistr
  • Removed looping from dialogs in the Blackpits.
  • Ex-companions no longer drop loot in the Arena of the One.
  • Voicebarks now play on the correct characters in the Arx death room
  • Fixed a scripting issue wherein a player enters Arx in multiplayer when the host is near the Lady Vengeance, Malady starts a dialog with an incorrect player.
  • If players were betrayed by their friends so they cannot be resurrected anymore and all other players are dead, a ‘game over’ condition has been added.
  • Made it clearer in Cullwood Mills that you are not allowed in
  • Removed Roost’s floating hand near Bloodmoon Island
  • Fixed text in the Gwydian execution scene
  • Fixed Meistr dialog when player performed ritual outside of the cellar
  • Added Ifan origin moments with ghost of Hannah
  • Fixed shapeshifting visual being stuck during level swapping
  • Meistr now reacts logically to being Source Vampirised
  • Fixed Red Prince dialog in Driftwood tavern when he is a companion

UI Fixes
  • Fixed layout problems on the examine window in keyboard mode
  • Fixed various UI text overlaps
  • Added a delay to some tutorial messages, so they do not appear at the start of the game.
  • Allow pinging to work during combat, when it’s not your turn.
  • Added an option to enable/disable sound muting when the game window does not have focus.
  • Re-enabled the drag and drop functionality on the player names in the inventory screen
  • Increased FPS limit to 240 in the options screen
  • Restricted visual lobby name length but added a tooltip showing the full name
  • Fixed an issue where the resolution selection was empty for some players
  • Added a delay to the Hotbar tutorial of 5 minutes so it doesn't trigger as soon as you start a game
  • Fix for some items not being selected when looking at them when playing with a controller
  • Fixed issue with appearance selectors not updating correctly when quickly switching between presets, causing some visual bugs like the voice being wrong on the origin characters in character creation.
  • Fixed aspect ratio issues when using controller in split-screen mode

Arena
  • Fixed a situation where a player is kicked from the lobby when a player presses certain keys to start splitscreen.
  • Fixed issue with ‘ready’ button on client side
  • Fixed some rare selection issue in the character selection screen

GM Mode
  • Overview map. Level popup of existing scenes now closes if GM deletes all scenes.
  • FIxed an issue where after subscribing to a GM campaign, it was not visible.
  • Fixed GameMaster not being able to see invisible items

*Yeah I'm late, missed the update in last page

One rune slot per item only, nice. Exactly what I always wanted.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Anybody have worse performance after patch?

I'm getting weird hitches and small stutters now, I didn't before. GG.

Micro stuttars.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
That reactive armor nerf....

:littlemissfun:

At max skill Reactive Armor is doing like 1500+ damage to all the enemies in the area. This skill, Ignition or Earthquake can obliterate most stuff when used properly.

But now it's too late. All hail the Balance God.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just got my self a lizard whore....and got robbed.Anyway that sex dialogue is the worst fanfic porn i have seen.It must become part of the next fifty shades of shit movie.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
"Important artifacts". An obsidian knife doesn't sound like an important artifact. It sounds like an object you would find again in the game. Name one more game that pulls off this "you just found out you're fucked for what you did 50 hours ago" shit. I do this kind of inventory purging in every game, and it NEVER happened to me before.

As others have mentioned there's similar thing in Planescape as well as new Numenera: you can think that Bronze Sphere is useless and drop it or never get it. In original game it affected the ending, in the new game it potentially left you with a smaller party and therefore harder game.

You could also break some older games by dropping items and easily so. IIRC Wizardry 7 allowed you to miss important quest items. I think Fallout 1-2 lets you drop anything so you can leave important quest items in no longer accessible locations. I lost quest items in Arcanum, I think.

The difference is in those games there was also a way to go forward. I haven't played DOS2 yet and I don't know if it is so in your case. Larian says their main quest can be completed even if you behave like an idiot so there it seems they've missed a big thing.

Main Quest or not that's fucking irrelevant. I screwed up quests, and I am fine with that. Never cheesed with saves either. But this "...50 hours later" shtick is beyond retarded.

Here's a fun fact: the same shit happens with notes as well. Yes, if you don't carry hoards of notes with you, you will not be able to complete the quest, because for example in one quest you find out about an demon's name from a note, but if you don't have the note, the game insists that you do not actually know his name even though I fucking do, because I opened it and read it myself. Yeah thanks game, not like I have a journal anything. Feels more like an homage to old RPGs than an useful tool.
I'll give you that last one, because it's complete bullshit when games actually forces you to keep stuff like notes, when you really should be able to just note that down in the journal after getting the information, or even write it on a piece of paper outside of the game, but you're still a fucking retard for thinking that quest-items should be tagged as such and somehow kept for safe-keeping separately for you, even if you don't have the relevant quests yet.

People like you are responsible for the decline of the genre.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is food completely useless?

I heard it works as healing, but have never used it so far. Out of combat, a single click on a bedroll item added to the hotkey bar heals the whole party instantly.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I heard it works as healing, but have never used it so far. Out of combat, a single click on a bedroll item added to the hotkey bar heals the whole party instantly.

Food gives stat bonuses in combat which are not bad in general.

Murk

Arcane
Undead masquerading as an elf can heal from cannibalism. I always wanted a game where I play a cannibal who literally eats the memories and gains the power of people. It's actually pretty OP too, in Ft. Joy alone you get multiple skills, one of which is the polymorph flight ability.

Also, as a necromancer, you can do some cheesy healing shit as an undead (you can do it as non-undead too, but it's less relevant since you can just use restoration). Summon a bloated corpse and use mosquito swarm on it or have it explode and use bloodsucker to heal up. Or just rely on the hp leech effect of necromancy and hit it. Makes me feel evil, I can dig it.

So far I think playing undead is the best, you get some really weird interactions that work out quite nicely.

Also, don't forget to poison food so you can benefit from it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RK47 discovers a clever tactic:

(read the description of the spell he casts at 0:08)
That's hilarious, and I think that actually should be a viable tactic in many instances, but now that it's been revealed, I'm sure that Larian will come down on it hard, because.

G9g8uJY.png

cannondwarf

Scholar
My main gripe so far apart from inventory management is how often I feel force into typical good guy choices in dialogue. It feels like there's no neutral or "gray morality" choices, and I'm either left with a dumb and brutish answer, or archetypical hero answer.

Murk

Arcane
Related to that, cannondwarf, it is funny how there is a literal archetypal hero answer when you get the 'hero tag' (and how stupid the lines are, quite fittingly.)

Also I disagree about morally gray dialog, various times there's been a "I'm not sure about that, it seems extreme but I'll put up with it now" type of answer -- especially when dealing with edgelord elf.

On that note -- of the starting origin characters I think I hate the edgelord the most. Ifan is kind of boring, Beast is fine (dwarf pirate? Sounds legit), the red prince seemed obnoxious at first but is OK in later dialogs, when he drops the constant "I am superior to you" act, and I haven't played much with bard lady so I'm not sure how that works out. Fane doesn't bug me, and playing as Fane I think is kind of an interesting concept -- you just don't care about this world that is basically being invaded by starship troopers bugs age of wonders shadow demons tyranids zerg voidwoken -- you just want to figure out what the hell has happened. I hope there's a big twist reveal with Fane being part of the evil forces, parodying KotOR 1.

There's a lot of cool ideas that probably won't ever get fully fleshed out in the narrative side of things, but so far the game is p. good. Well worth the price of admission and worth playing.

I don't even disagree with most of the complaints from people like Darth Roxor or others, but those problems don't actively ruin the experience for me so much as they stop it from being even better.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Completely useless? No.

Practically useless? Yup!

There's some stuff you can make that's not bad, exactly, and I guess that if you (for whatever insane reason) took the talent that doubles the bonuses, that might be worth it. Usually, though, it's not the bonuses that's the issue, but the duration. You want to eat before combat, but it's entirely possible for it to run out before you actually end up going into combat, especially if there's a dialogue beforehand. And if it doesn't, it may still end up maybe lasting just for a single round, maybe two. Especially with the round robin turn orders, it's pretty useless to buff beforehand, because in most cases, the bonus won't really matter.
My main gripe so far apart from inventory management is how often I feel force into typical good guy choices in dialogue. It feels like there's no neutral or "gray morality" choices, and I'm either left with a dumb and brutish answer, or archetypical hero answer.
It's annoying, but I don't see why it'd be someone's main gripe. Some games just let you play the hero, and everything else is just flavours of that. The game doesn't really pretend to let you play anything else but then pigeonhole you into really fucking derp situations that makes no sense in the given context (like certain other recent games.. I'm looking at you, Tranny).

The derpy dialogue system being used as a substitute for actually articulating and writing what is said just feeds into the issue, too, because unless you're in that heroic mindset, it's just not going to work based on the reactions. It's trying to create a situation of "Believe whatever you want your character to believe was said!", but in reality, if the "answer" is "*Ask him what he is doing, and tell him to stop immediately*", we know what's actually being said is something along the lines of "Excuse me, what are you doing? Stop that at once, this is unacceptable behaviour" and not "Oi! Cuntface! Stop that shit before I wear your crown jewels around my neck!".

But main gripe? This shit hadn't even registered to me.

Seethe

Arbiter

As others have mentioned there's similar thing in Planescape as well as new Numenera: you can think that Bronze Sphere is useless and drop it or never get it. In original game it affected the ending, in the new game it potentially left you with a smaller party and therefore harder game.

You could also break some older games by dropping items and easily so. IIRC Wizardry 7 allowed you to miss important quest items. I think Fallout 1-2 lets you drop anything so you can leave important quest items in no longer accessible locations. I lost quest items in Arcanum, I think.

The difference is in those games there was also a way to go forward. I haven't played DOS2 yet and I don't know if it is so in your case. Larian says their main quest can be completed even if you behave like an idiot so there it seems they've missed a big thing.

Main Quest or not that's fucking irrelevant. I screwed up quests, and I am fine with that. Never cheesed with saves either. But this "...50 hours later" shtick is beyond retarded.

Here's a fun fact: the same shit happens with notes as well. Yes, if you don't carry hoards of notes with you, you will not be able to complete the quest, because for example in one quest you find out about an demon's name from a note, but if you don't have the note, the game insists that you do not actually know his name even though I fucking do, because I opened it and read it myself. Yeah thanks game, not like I have a journal anything. Feels more like an homage to old RPGs than an useful tool.
I'll give you that last one, because it's complete bullshit when games actually forces you to keep stuff like notes, when you really should be able to just note that down in the journal after getting the information, or even write it on a piece of paper outside of the game, but you're still a fucking retard for thinking that quest-items should be tagged as such and somehow kept for safe-keeping separately for you, even if you don't have the relevant quests yet.

Don't be a fucking retard. I am not saying that the items should be tagged. I already have a lot of quest items saved in my inventory. The problem here is that it isn't mentioned in the journal that you need to do the ritual again, til it is too late. Also, I assumed that there's more than one crappy knife into the game. Because apparently you cannot slit your wrists with anything else.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Don't be a fucking retard. I am not saying that the items should be tagged. I already have a lot of quest items saved in my inventory. The problem here is that it isn't mentioned in the journal that you need to do the ritual again, til it is too late. Also, I assumed that there's more than one crappy knife into the game. Because apparently you cannot slit your wrists with anything else.
Why the fuck should the journal tell you that you need to do the ritual again, before you know that you need to do the ritual again? Also, how fucking stupid do you have to be to throw away a fucking artifact after having used it previously in a fucking ritual? Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick.

Renfri

Cipher
In Chapter 6...
I traded with Lord Kemm, and bought his own journal from him for 2 gold pieces. Working as intended :D!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom