Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man.... that Bishop Alexander fight (on Tactician)...

I don't think this warrants a spoiler tag, but just a heads up anyway, this is a boss fight of Act I.

I had to cheese so hard to have any chance at beating this fight, and finally did it after more than 2 hours. And I was lucky or I wouldn't have made it.

So if you enter the fight the normal way from the main entrance, you will probably be down a character before the worm even spawns.
Thus, you take the right path, zap some more shriekers (I did it with the Tyrant's helm for a suprise fight that gives you a pretty nice improved Tyrant's helm) and you get that awesome narrow corridor to lure the enemies into, which even has a convenient oil barrel.
Standard cheese tactic on Tactician.
At this point, this would become a pretty interesting fight, because even with that corridor, all the enemies are one level above you (I don't think you can reach level 8 on the island, I explored all of the map and think I did everything, still I'm level 7) and they are PUMPED armor- and HP-wise. And one is floating. And two (at least) can teleport around one way or another. So, it would be tough anyway.
Then, after round 5 (or at the start?), that massive 1000+HP worm spawns to wreak total havoc. If this worm would actually attack your enemies, too, it might be somewhat fair.
But this game seems to work heavily with some kind of aggression and/or priority target system. Basically, if the worm even SEES one of your own party, he will attack you or even worse, teleport to you knocking everyone around down. I tried this more than five times, the worm did never attack a magister if seeing one of your chars. And his vomit attack deals massive damage AND there will be cursed surfaces all around.

Here's what I did to stand any chance at all:
I had only two people in the corridor. One to start the fight, then bounce back, another to destroy the barrel and wait behind the door to set the oil on fire once some chars are there.
The other two characters hide behind the big statue in the room where the shriekers were - for about two rounds.
Then, one of them (one who can teleport) goes left via the main doorway to lure two or so melee guys to come that way. When they do, teleport back to hide behind the statue.
This (at least for me) caused a situation where the magister troops are split into two groups. One walking towards the statue room, one kinda stuck in the oiled/burning corridor.

Now, lucky event number one happened: The worm tends to spawn where multiple characters are (no matter if you or Magister), mine spawned directly next to the Bishop and the two Backstabbers who were on their way through the main doorway towards the shrieker & statue room. Lucky me! It did not see any of my characters, so it focused on the magisters.
Worm & those three magisters duked it out for a couple rounds while one of my chars spent his turns going out of hiding, shooting one of the magister troops then moving back into hiding.
The other one helped the last two characters dealing with the magisters stuck in the corridor.

Lucky event number two: The winged metamorph magister was stuck at his starting location throughout the entire combat as she was too far away from anything. I suspect a pathfinding bug that might be fixed eventually.

My chars could deal with the magisters in the corridor about the same time the three other Magisters finished the worm (obviously weakened from the encounter, but only a little).
So it comes to three Magisters (including the Bishop) vs my guys in that Shrieker room.
That was actually a fun and well-balanced fight. I had to revive characters twice (stocked up on those scrolls beforehand :lol:), but eventually did it and could then easily deal with the stuck metamorph magister.

Now... is there any way to deal with this encounter without resorting to these extreme cheese tactics (and hoping for luck in the worm spawn location)?
I was glad I won the fight, but it didn't really feel like a fairly earned victory.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm just about to have this fight myself, in coop, today. Then I'll read your impressions and add mine.

BTW, the guy who designed this interface is either an Arab, Chinese, or most likely, belongs to some extraterrestrial civilization. It's as if intentionally nothing is intuitive, nothing makes sense! Horrible. Years of feedback, two million sales, and nothing is improved. Nothing.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Attack from left side where the winged polymage is, you need 2 teleport skills to get there (or 1 with the glove) Gheists cant climb ladders and won't have a clear line of sight for their teleport attack and all others will come to you. You just need to kill poly mage really fast.
When the worm appears anyone downstairs focus their damage on it so you are good for 2-3 turns.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm having fun so far, thats not to say that there are no problems, one major thing is that it don't look like they have learned anything from the feedback of the first game. But hey maybe they will make another enhanced edition to improve things once again. I'm also happy to hear that they are doing good with sales / people playing :).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gheists cant climb ladders
They can, I'm rather sure of it. I saw a Gheist on that corridor to the right. Hell, even my summoned Necro blobs without limbs can climb ladders :D
Maybe they weren't able to during Early Access?

When the worm appears anyone downstairs focus their damage on it so you are good for 2-3 turns.
But it seems totally random where the worm appears - other than it will appear where someone else is. And it can definitely appear anywhere (it once spawned in the fucking corridor despite not really fitting there :lol:).

Teleport is your friend, surprisingly enough I got through it on the first attempt. TP'd Alex right into friendly NPC gang, while they were running CC train on him I kept the others busy (thankfully TPing Alex rendered poly lady and archer completely useless, either due to AI mix up or something else, but they just stood there), then the worm poped up (wasn't expecting that lul) and actually helped me quite a bit, but not before ravaging a bunch of friendly low lvls :( He pulled gheist's and assassin's aggro away + managed to get some decent damage in on them before going down. All in all it was a huge mess. I lost Fane pretty early but the rest managed to survive up until the last part, I got careless with my positioning when only Archer and Poly lady were left to deal with. Lohse went down and then it was finally over.

3lF2UB3.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In my experience, the wurm would go primarily after my dudes, but in turn all the magisters got a global taunt that made them switch targets to it.

And speaking of cheese, I engaged them from the direction of the crumbled bridge, by the little boat, opening with teleporting away the metamorph. By the time the rest of the angry cops arrived to the scene, enough turns had passed for the wurm to appear, so it was smooth sailing for me (for the record, I had no idea the wurm would appear, so it was a coincidental display of tactical genius).

Grimnir

Novice

I used brute force with a physical damage team. I teleported Alexander in front of my team and stripped his armor before the worm popped up. The worm ignored me while I killed Alexander. Eventually, the worm died without my interference, so I fled the battle to get more source from the fountain. After that I lured the rest away one at a time near the entrance to beat on them. That was the only time I had to flee from a fight.

Edit: I just walked up to him and started the fight. No fancy positioning beforehand, because I'm lazy and dumb.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The alexander fight was hard my first time through as a solo wizard, but my 2nd and 3rd it went pretty simple tbh. My strategy was to start off on the high ground and kill the polymorph via phys armor depletion + knockdown (rogue fane and fighter red prince) and then to teleport pull the ranger for the same thing. By then the void worm spawns at which point the assassin was next, then after that just whoever was convenient.

The geist can't climb ladders, so after he uses his backlash you can just teleport him away and you're safe from him for a few rounds (his backstab does hurt a lot.) Animals also can't climb ladders, so you can effectively remove dogs and other 'creatures' from fights by putting them on ledges (though they may have leap/fly skills.)

I'm finding physical builds more viable in this game than the first, probably because there's no physical damage resistance but there is elemental damage resistance.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I'm finding physical builds more viable in this game than the first, probably because there's no physical damage resistance but there is elemental damage resistance.
That's possible. I only have one pure physical character, my own rogue/warfare guy with a spear.
All the others are mages (one ranger, so huntsman/geo) and it really is much harder to get a character stunned or frozen, since you need two steps for that. And all those steps are usually potentially harmful to your own melee guys. It is much easier to knock someone down or cripple them since it doesn't have any previous requirement. And it also has no side effects.
Charm is also a game changer, of course, but I haven't found a book yet...

I've also started to think that a focused group is a better idea than a mixed one. Wearing down armor is key and even if some enemy has a lot more armor of any type, all characters focusing on that type will bring the armor down quickly anyway.

Arkeus

Arcane
So if you enter the fight the normal way from the main entrance, you will probably be down a character before the worm even spawns.
Thus, you take the right path, zap some more shriekers (I did it with the Tyrant's helm for a suprise fight that gives you a pretty nice improved Tyrant's helm) and you get that awesome narrow corridor to lure the enemies into, which even has a convenient oil barrel.
Standard cheese tactic on Tactician.
At this point, this would become a pretty interesting fight, because even with that corridor, all the enemies are one level above you (I don't think you can reach level 8 on the island, I explored all of the map and think I did everything, still I'm level 7) and they are PUMPED armor- and HP-wise. And one is floating. And two (at least) can teleport around one way or another. So, it would be tough anyway.
You can get to level 8, and if you don't Zap the shriekers but saved the dragon he would take care of all of them. OTOH, what's this about improved Tyrant's helm?

But yeah, level 8 is hard to get (at least for me it was), and I had to make another look-see at the map to check if I had missed anything to get there. Once I did, though, I got significantly stronger, especially after I finished rearranging my skills with all my guys.
On the topic of Necromancy -- I'm actually at level 10 on it for my rogue who only has 4 necromancy spells (summon corpse, shackles of pain, mosquito swarm, and bloodsucker) and the 100% hp leech is pretty friggin' cool tbh.

Tho admittedly I didn't do it for metagame reasons, but because I wanted to try a "vampire" build (leech, hp drain, undead human). Backstab does incredible damage and allows you to heal hundreds of HP once you get to an enemy, and the inclusion of 2 teleport abilities in the rogue branch make positioning very easy.
Incidentally, combining a scoundrel and hydro book gives you a hybrid scoundrel/hydro tech that gives you life leech with your stabs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now... is there any way to deal with this encounter without resorting to these extreme cheese tactics (and hoping for luck in the worm spawn location)?

Dunno about Tactician coz fuck that difficulty but on Classic I lured the mobs into the small room with the statue, that way 2 of them (the metamorph and the ranger) stayed back in the positions and didn't trigger (probably too far to see anything). Plus when the worm appeared I ignored him and wailed on Alex and his crew who in turn ignored me and wailed on the worm. They killed the worm while almost dead themselves, it was easy then to finish them off.

Very tough fight tho, two of my characters died (worm's breath attack is insane).

I've also started to think that a focused group is a better idea than a mixed one.

I've switched to 2 fighters, a ranger and a summoner/buffer and I'm having a much easier time. My mage was useless when he was trying to do his elemental schtick. A focused elemental mages group could be interesting tho.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is there any point in having Soul Jars from Braccus vault in backpack? Are they useful sometime after? Or should I just break them as they are useless?

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Well after playing an "extended trial" of the game I decided to purchase it. Even with all the SJW nonsense and other problems games like this are few and far between.... also I need those updates "free" versions don't get updates.

Paying full price for a game is something I never do usually except for Grimoire but that was a special condition.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Is there any point in having Soul Jars from Braccus vault in backpack? Are they useful sometime after? Or should I just break them as they are useless?

Wait till you get the collars off so you can consume them four Source points or give the souls to the owners which you will encounter them on Fort island,but it's not worth it.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I hate how handicaped the game is sometimes when it comes to choices.
When we have Gratiana's jar we can:

1.Give to her
2.Insist to know more about jar

Then, when she shows you she's undead you can:
1.Give it to her as she suffered enough
2.Walk away without consequences
3.Destroy the Jar

I don't say these are bad options (maybe except 2., I was 100% that would end up a fight, meanwhile she does nothing)
Only that there are too few of them. Why can't I say that I won't give it or I will destroy it if she doesn't tell me why does she need it?
That would be logical cosquence of insisting to know more about her.
Instead game just drops it and give me not enough options.

And, of course, quest reward is bugged, beceause I get 50 gold, fire grenade and only trash to choice from. So dissapointing.

Arkeus

Arcane
1 of them I don't know (dwarf necro?), one of them is for Gratian (she wants it, so quest EXP), and the last 2 are for the Braccus Maze (also act 1) and you get exp for breaking them there after talking to the necromancers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom