Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Why that pig, Feder, pretends to not know me after transformed back into human? I can only ask her who she is, and she replies that she used to be pig on fire. Just as if we never met. What the fuck.

Akka

Novice
How do you get to fight against your own companion in Area of the one? As far as I can see you just say 'nevermind' when asked which companion to fight against.
Isn't it for multiplayer ?
Why that pig, Feder, pretends to not know me after transformed back into human? I can only ask her who she is, and she replies that she used to be pig on fire. Just as if we never met. What the fuck.
You probably are speaking to Feder with a different character (typically, you talked to its pig form with the "pet pal" character, and are now talking with the "leader" one).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't really like this game. It's like it actively wants you to not choose certain choices and almost always one out of two or three choices leads to combat. Stand your ground on anything? Good luck fighting these 3 guys who will poison you and set you on fire, faggot. It's like the game wants me to be a pushover pissboy and nothing else. There really aren't any things I can fight and have a decent shot at winning on this tutorial isle to earn some XP and gold.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The random items destroy any sense of exploration, permanency, build variety and even balance if you will. They are just stat sticks to discard when the next better model comes along. That has always been a problem with Larian, as they can't seem to understand why items exist in RPGs in general, taking the worst possible system, that of the Diablo-clones, and transplanting it so haphazardly and messily they fail to recognize why they use that system. Not to mention that Diablo clones usually have unique "hand-placed" items, items that are vital for some builds to work, only the method you use to acquire them is random. Even if D:OS does have unique items, they are always quickly outshined by Generic Sword of Randomness +5 a level or two later because of how the scaling works on both items and enemies.

Vibalist

Arcane
The random items destroy any sense of exploration, permanency, build variety and even balance if you will. They are just stat sticks to discard when the next better model comes along. That has always been a problem with Larian, as they can't seem to understand why items exist in RPGs in general, taking the worst possible system, that of the Diablo-clones, and transplanting it so haphazardly and messily they fail to recognize why they use that system. Not to mention that Diablo clones usually have unique "hand-placed" items, items that are vital for some builds to work, only the method you use to acquire them is random. Even if D:OS does have unique items, they are always quickly outshined by Generic Sword of Randomness +5 a level or two later because of how the scaling works on both items and enemies.

it really is a damn shame. I still fondly remember Baldur's Gate 2, where you could sometimes find a sword that would carry you through half of the game. Itemization in that game was excellent and I still can't think of many RPG's that have surpassed it.

For all the cues Larian took from old RPG's, they apparently didn't understand the allure of having genuinely unique, durable items that you could grow attached to.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I met my friend Grog. I feel proud.
33D981528714CC75291FB0AE16B293F0DB8E851C

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone having problems with quests not closing on the mainland too?

Quest design just bothers me. I suspect for a quest to close you don't just have to get to the end of it but in a certain order to boot? If so then jesus, what a fuckup in an open-world game. I might be wrong tho.

Also, we all hate quest compass sure. But oftentimes you don't get prompts in your journal but instead a new flag appears somewhere on the map, indicating you should go there. So after every progress prompt are you supposed to scour the world map for a new quest flag? Super annoying seeing as old quest flags don't disappear so the world map is soon littered with them.

The good example is the Eithna quest - she wants a book, you deliver the book (how in the fuck are you supposed to know where to get it without the walkthrough is another issue), she thanks you and disappears. Soo...what now? There isn't anything relevant in the journal. Only much later on I've randomly noticed there's a new flag on the map "Eithna randezvous point". I go there and the quest finally closes. Dunno about you but that's the worst of the both worlds - no quest compass but no useful prompts in the journal either.

Anyway, got to Nameless Island, 5 or 6 quests on the mainland didn't close properly and I have no idea why - whether I didn't do something in the "proper" order or missed some flag or the quests are bugged.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
cvv Even after I have completed some quests and actually got to choose a quest reward, they sometimes will update if you accidentally speak to anyone who was related to that specific quest. I also thought that if you break the order of how the game wants you to play, the quest gets updated even if you have finished it. I hope they can solve this by not letting the quest log update stuff you have completed once they are [Closed].

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why oh why people you underestimate the power of CC , it's still super strong in this game .
Because you need damage to apply them. By itself CC is easy. As in your example, you don't even need a specific build or clever elemental combinations to play CC well - just 1-2 points in Warfare or Metamorph.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For all the cues Larian took from old RPG's, they apparently didn't understand the allure of having genuinely unique, durable items that you could grow attached to.

The fever you get when you continue to receive greater and greater items on a regular basis is more alluring. :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck the designer responsible for the imp's pocket dimension!Fuck him hard with iron dildo!Retarded cretin thought that making slow game 5times slower will be fun.Fucking idiot!

Lacrymas

Arcane
The fever you get when you continue to receive greater and greater items on a regular basis is more alluring. :smug:

While I know you are being sarcastic, I want to address this. It's not more alluring, it becomes routine which makes it less appealing and simply grindy. It also fails to create any kind of structure to the itemization or anything to strive for, you know you are going to find the next best thing around the corner, so eh, you might not even bother because the corner after that will have even better shit. Randomness for the sake of randomness is not what the gambling mentality is (which this system is analogous to), it's the intent to find something specific that keeps the wheel turning, the same principle applies to Diablo-clones. Just MMO color-coding the items doesn't work, neither does the finite number of enemies which bar you from grinding and actually finding something usable, it's statistically possible to not find anything for you the whole game due to the finite mobs and the randomness. I guess that's why they deem it appropriate to constantly throw items in your face.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Items, I think if items in game would not have any levels and level scale to your level + maces stun/spears long/swords crit + runes + random bonuses + elemental infusions it would make game better. You could add some quality to it like stone is worse than steel weapons etc.

Then just change differences in levels from 100% to 20% and it'll be ok.

Frankly just tweaking scaling for everything level-based from 100% increase in all stats across the board to 15-20% would be easy start. You begin game doing 15 damage, end game doing 1500-3000 damage. Why? Why do you need these numbers in your game? It's nonsensical.

Vibalist

Arcane

I wouldn't describe it as a fever, it's more like OCD-instilling, stress inducing micromanagement. Hamsterwheel game design that sucks you out of the experience because half your time is spent buying shit from vendors and changing equipment.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The itemisation is actually another thing that I remember being much less shitty in the first game than here. Back then you could still find really good (random) things that would serve you well.

Yeah fuck this (for now), back to Wizardry 8. At this point I'm actually fully seriously and non-ironically expecting ELEX to be a better game than dos2 :negative:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Funny enough patch removes 3 socketed items meaning no low level item would be better than higher level bought from basic shop anymore at all. 3 sockets was the only thing that kept items lower level competent (with 3 sockets you could make armor with very high resist to compliment your mage's Elemental Affinity, or weapon with very high basic damage).

Larian is making it all worse without realising what they are doing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While I know you are being sarcastic, I want to address this. It's not more alluring, it becomes routine which makes it less appealing and simply grindy. It also fails to create any kind of structure to the itemization or anything to strive for, you know you are going to find the next best thing around the corner, so eh, you might not even bother because the corner after that will have even better shit. Randomness for the sake of randomness is not what the gambling mentality is (which this system is analogous to), it's the intent to find something specific that keeps the wheel turning, the same principle applies to Diablo-clones. Just MMO color-coding the items doesn't work, neither does the finite number of enemies which bar you from grinding and actually finding something usable, it's statistically possible to not find anything for you the whole game due to the finite mobs and the randomness. I guess that's why they deem it appropriate to constantly throw items in your face.

Swen strongly disagrees. He loves this stuff.

Which is why it's so incredibly odd that apparently D:OS2 changes the formula by severely limiting the loot that you find in the wild, forcing you to buy equipment in shop. Players hate buying weapons and armor in shops, as Josh Sawyer found out years ago.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Which is why it's so incredibly odd that apparently D:OS2 changes the formula by severely limiting the loot that you find in the wild, forcing you to buy equipment in shop. Players hate buying weapons and armor in shops, as Josh Sawyer found out years ago.
Huh what? I don't think I've bought any equipment so far after like 30 hours. Everything was found as loot in secret locations, dropped by enemies or as quest rewards. And I certainly don't feel "under-equipped". I only buy skill books and (res. mostly)scrolls in shops

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Players hate buying weapons and armor in shops, as Josh Sawyer found out years ago.

Depends on the kind of RPG you're playing, no? In a game with Diablo-style itemization, it's simply a way of expediting the RNG looting process with in-game currency.

Semi-related - something I told RK47 the other day. I'm not generally in favor of Diablo itemization, but I think one thing it can do is give crafting more of a purpose. In a world of random itemization, crafting offers you a way to remove randomness, to get precisely the items you want. In contrast, in a Black Isle-style RPG with fixed items, crafting feels like an unwanted injection of randomness into the creator's vision. You weren't really "supposed" to have that item.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh what? I don't think I've bought any equipment so far after like 30 hours. Everything was found as loot in secret locations, dropped by enemies or as quest rewards. And I certainly don't feel "under-equipped". I only buy skill books and (res. mostly)scrolls in shops

Suppose it's a swingy RNG thing because I've read multiple accounts of people raging that they have to go back to the store every time they level up.

(or perhaps they're just bad at playing, and need the stastical boost right away, either way)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Suppose it's a swingy RNG thing because I've read multiple accounts of people raging that they have to go back to the store every time they level up.

(or perhaps they're just bad at playing, and need the stastical boost right away, either way)
Well...I guess you can always buy something in shops that will slightly improve some stat, but especially as far as weapons go, the "unique" ones that we found around the map
(like the crossbow for Ifan or a two handed sword in Braccus' vault)
are far superior than anything money can buy

Lacrymas

Arcane

Well, Swen is a hyperactive Belgian pixie on something that resembles a sugar rush, so he probably loves everything, no matter how nonsensical or detrimental to the overall experience it is. He also likes playing on consoles. Also, that Sawyer thing sounds interesting, got a quote where I can read more?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom