Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Lacrymas, Sep 14, 2017.

1. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. KateMicucci Learned

KateMicucci
    Maybe. It's not so obvious what magic save CCs are worth throwing out after removing magic armor with fireballs, though. You can't freeze them. Need to hit enemies twice with thunder to stun them. Medusa head is possibly the best aoe CC but removes and prevents burning. Maybe just throw a boring old geo spell at them.

Earth doing magical instead of physical has thrown me off a bunch of times too, esp since some of them have phys saves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. KateMicucci Learned

KateMicucci
    It damages physical armor or uses physical save?

^ Top  
  4. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Unless something's changed in my game, no it doesn't. I haven't played the last 2-3 patches or something, but last time I threw a lolhueg boulder at someone, it was soaked up entirely by magic armor and ended up doing jack shit.

Edit: Went into game to double-check. Tested Fossil Strike. Threw lolhueg boulder into face of enemy. Still targets Magic Armor. No clue what you're talking about.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Salvo Savant

Salvo
    Earth Damage is Magical. As far as I remember the only school that targets Physical is Necromancy with stuff like Explosive Corpse.

Also Bone Widow is broken OP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Ugh, things you go through to see some alternative endings

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Good thing Megumin the Explosioness was immune to fire more or less.

You know what's the most dissapointing thing in all of this?

The story is actually very complicated, running through generations of lore and gravitating together multiple characters that all take the part in it, with twists and turns and unending level of layers.

Yet, it's mostly all for naught. It is written there somewhere, in multiplication of ending slides, coming straight from designer's document; it's just a fantasy story, with all the Larian epicness and fantasysh retardness, but it COULD have been a great story just due to how much stuff there is packed into it.

It COULD have been, but in the actual game, it was shattered into a clusterfuck of never ending fake villains, JRPG cutscenes, bad presentation, lack of actual dialogue and options with important characters. It's like reverse Deus Ex, where instead of working together with endgame villains, you're derping around a mess of scripted teleportations and frontloaded edgy dialogue.

This game deserves a complete rewrite. I understand it's difficult, might be a titanic job to make what this game tried to into good thing (the thing being multiple divines in your party trying to ascend and each having a very long story rooted in the world with personal quests and interactions), but without a very strong and clever rewrite, it's just a mess.

Btw, I have one question about C&C in this game. Did anyone NOT do quest for paladins in Act 2?
    Show Spoiler
    In Arx, game makes you think that because of that quest, Paladins raided barracks and killed all magisters. Is that true or is it just another moment of sleight of hand?

What do you people who finished game think about the story? The C&C and slides seem all Obsidianish and such, is there a potential hidden there somehwere? I am somewhat confused as last 1% of the game showed there was obvious effort put into multiple character arcs and plot and stuff.

Oh, and did anyone actually
    Show Spoiler
    release the valve with death fog? What happens? Does whole Arx gets rekked? And what is that stuff with Covenant, God King & Scythe? Is it any different than just not becoming divine and seeing world burn?

I also really wonder if it's possible to go through Blood Gauntlet by answering 4 questions. I wonder how game might react, since you must not steal and so on, basically being Avatar from Ultima. I mean, actually going through game like that, not just recruiting a mercenary.

Oh, and Braccus Rex...
    Show Spoiler
    I don't entirely understand his role in the story. Shouldn't Fane be on his place and be main hidden villain?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dwarvophile Savant

Dwarvophile
    Yes, this is indeed a stupid decision. But I remember the prequel was already going this way. But not to that extent though. BG2 was great in that matter : legenday weapons were reallly legendary. Once you would find your Strombringer or Mournblade, it would stay your loyal weapon until the end.

About Necromancy, haven't tried yet,n but doesn't it synergize well with scoundrel at least ? (second epic ring I find in the game that give bonus to huntsman and necromancer, I don't see how those two would meld well, necromancy seems to fit more to close combat)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    ^ Top  
  9. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Earth Damage (Brownish)? What drugs are you on, man? Half your post is intelligible and the rest makes no sense, and what little makes sense is simply wrong. Earth Damage - brownish, blueish, redish or whatever colour you're imagining - targets magical armor. I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. I was literally just in the game and double-checked because you made me doubt myself. I should never doubt myself. I'm awesome.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sjukob Arcane

Sjukob
    How's that ? I'm playing the most "classic" version of DOS party in this game: fighter , ranger , geo/fireb mage , air/water mage and I've yet to experience any downsides of it . Splitting damage means choosing priorities , enemies have different resistances/armor values and the difference becomes more apparent as the game goes on . And the more damage types you have , the more likely you'll be able to exploit the weaknesses .

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. Ziggy Scholar

Ziggy
    you couldve saved on the final conversation and see everything with no hassle

Show Spoiler
    There's an achievement for that so it's possible. I think you could cheese it by taking a custom companion and bringing him straight there.

On endings: God King one felt really good mostly because of everyone but Fane calling me a shithead in the epilogue.

Final slides were all fucked up, in two of em (source redistributed and source removed) it said that The Beast went home and became a just ruler beloved by all, two minutes later saying that he came back, fucked up, and quickly left to be a pirate again. What gives.

^ Top  
  12. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    I eagerly await Darth Roxor's review. :whatho:

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can't be serious.

- Tell me about yourself
    - Tell me about the orcs
    - Tell me about the murder
    - Tell me about the undead

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ruzen Savant

Ruzen
    or like this

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Wtf is this "Bound by Pain" quest? First the silver lever is half-bugged, then I have to hit and heal the stupid dwarf for five minutes and then the demon jumps out and start chain-possessing my characters. Is there a way to get rid of the "Demonic Possession" status? What, am I supposed to just kill my possessed characters? The stupid demon take just one hit before possessing someone. Wtf Larian, seriously.

Also a lot of Chapter 2 quests are bugged something fierce - sometimes you don't get reward, or you do but the quest stays in the journal or it's messed up in some other way.

^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    What the fuck is that drivel!?I couldn't watch more than a minute of this stupidity.I feel bad for giving the fat faggot jim suckling a view.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Murk Arcane

Murk
    On the topic of Necromancy -- I'm actually at level 10 on it for my rogue who only has 4 necromancy spells (summon corpse, shackles of pain, mosquito swarm, and bloodsucker) and the 100% hp leech is pretty friggin' cool tbh.

Tho admittedly I didn't do it for metagame reasons, but because I wanted to try a "vampire" build (leech, hp drain, undead human). Backstab does incredible damage and allows you to heal hundreds of HP once you get to an enemy, and the inclusion of 2 teleport abilities in the rogue branch make positioning very easy.

^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Uhhh that quest is not that hard,you have to beat a few times the dwarf and then break the pillars,after that fight the demon.Try to hit the demon as much as you can on your first try.After he possesses someone beat him until near death and kill the demon.With backstab and adrenalin you could take half his health in the first round.

^ Top  
  19. KateMicucci Learned

KateMicucci
    Is it cooler than 50% more damage though

^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Also having the paw trait is really cool,having one free move at every turn is very useful for everyone.I run with two rogues,archer and a mage.It is a lot of fun.Still i hate the guy that thought that moving slow makes the game tactical,it is idiotic that i play battles for 30-40 minutes because there is like 20 enemy and am waiting their turns.

^ Top  
  21. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    The answer to 99% of any fights in DOS2 is "more damage". The only exception might be Revenants in lizard embassy at act 4, and I would recommend just skipping them because you'll need a lot of time to make that fight work properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Welp, so much for tactics. Reception in here has been pretty lukewarm as far as I can gather, with the notable exception of a few religiously devoted Larianites. Too bad they fucked up their own combat system. Will wait for a combat overhaul mod or hope the inevitable EE will fix the issues a blind quadriplegic could see.

• Agree x 4
    • retadred x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In

Earth damage as other elemental damage targets magic armor. But the spell debuffs target physical armor.

^ Top  
  24. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Depends what you enjoy m8. This game, like the prequel, are all about weird builds and variability to me and trying out styles of play that aren't possible in other games.

^ Top  
  25. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    What does that scale with?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.