Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
My only concern is that it's going to be too multiplayer-focused and I think that most people don't play these kind of games online. I mean won't a game where you can throw other players into prisons be practically castrated in sp? Unless they'll make a real good AI that is. That was my problem with the first OS. On one hand you always get into these discussions that feel weird in sp game, on the other I wouldn't really want to play a turn-based game with other people. Here they kindof fixed it with the whole competetive thing but I feel that that kind of game would have to be played with a buch of real-life friends (and I don't have friends into Larian games) since people online will either ragequit when something bad happens to them or will focus on griefing.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As one of those who played the game pretty much only in coop and really enjoyed it, I'm not sold yet on the "competitive" experience.

First of all if save are implemented the way they were in D:OS the whole "competitive" aspect falls flat because the host will always have the power to load a previous save if he discovers he's been betrayed and doesn't feel like larping. Making it so that the only "victories" the other players can get are the ones the host is allowing them to get. (Besides, only him would have the power to load the game offline and further his agenda without being disturbed and/or exposed.)

Secondly, my friend and I enjoyed our coop playthrough because we played in very similar way in battles and different and complementary ways everywhere else. He would pick-pocket every NPC and steal every item that's not pinned to the ground while I was doing all the talking (that was before any patch so he had no way of getting involved in dialogues without me warning him there's an "argument" he should take part in and summing up what's been said). So none of us got bored doing what we perceived as a chore while still checking everything the game had to offer.
Now if we can't play that way anymore because we're not working on together to accomplish the same goal, I'm not sure the experience will be quite as smooth as it was in D:OS.

I also feel like this discourages playing the game in two player mode, as you necessarily know where every backstab is coming from. What's the point of planting a fake healing potion when you'll be as transparent as if you just threw a fireball to his face ? At least with 4 players you don't know who framed you or who's the "double agent". But getting 4 people together to play lengthy sessions of a big Turn based RPG can be quite a complicated task and I'm afraid playing only one character in battle might be a little two slow of a paste for my liking.

That being said I'm still very much looking forward to this game because it's bound to be Larian's biggest RPG to date and the other features sounded interesting. So I backed the game and am waiting for the fundraiser to double dip.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder how you finish the game if you are constantly being assholes to each other :D

And from a story perspective it is a bit odd. You are wandering around together, but no problem fireball each other and killing each other.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Must feel good to finally be involved with a good game.
Lisa-Gasp.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're really not giving me any incentive to pledge higher than the lowest tier. No physical disc, no special in-game stuff, nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're really not giving me any incentive to pledge higher than the lowest tier. No physical disc, no special in-game stuff, nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

?
Kickstarter Collector's Edition

This unique and limited album box- sized Kickstarter Collector's Edition is jam-packed with rare relics that'll tickle your nostalgic heart and stoke the fires of your imagination:

Two copies of Divinity: Original Sin 2 as a digital download, a cloth map, a printed Game Manual, a high-quality, hardcover Artbook, a high-quality, hardcover Lorebook, a Dwarven Empire Ale Mug, a custom Ouija board (for channeling Rivellon's lost spirits!), and a sticker pack featuring unique art. Also comes with a Digital Game Manual, a 'Backer' Forum Badge and behind-the-scenes footage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's getting slower every hour. Would be surprised if it went over 2,5 M at the end of the campaign.
...Are you trying to imply that would be a sloppy result?

And of course it gets slower hour after hour. I can also already boldly predict there will be another peak when the KS is close to its ending.
That's pretty much the standard for every campaign, regardless of the overall amount.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
...Are you trying to imply that would be a sloppy result?

Well, several Codexers were expecting a $3 million intake from the Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter, and they fell well short of that. Now the game is out and is getting worse reviews than Dragonfall. Surely you can see the connection.

Renegen

Arcane
The competitive RPG multiplayer looks really awesome, not gonna lie. I also love the idea that your character is tied down to his choices, reminds me of Fallout 1/2 and that's something that very few games do. As always Larian knows how to provide unique experiences and it should prove successful.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think Larian is going the 'We won't announce it, simply because we can't promise it' route for the Linux/Mac/Console versions of the game. And then release it for those at the end so that they can 'atone for their Original Sins' of the first Kickstarter.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(I don't have friends into Larian games)
What the fuck are your allies in incline on the Codex? Chopped liver?

As one of those who played the game pretty much only in coop and really enjoyed it, I'm not sold yet on the "competitive" experience.
The host will always have the power to load a previous save if he discovers he's been betrayed and doesn't feel like larping.
So the only reason your friends play nice with you in other games is because you physically have the power to stop them from blatantly cheating? So if you go to play poker with your friends, the biggest guy just takes all the chips at the end of the night? And you still invite him back next time? The scorekeeper in Scrabble just writes down 1000000 points for himself and no one says shit? You have weird friends, dude.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Somehow missed the announcement, got in at the $25 tier before it was too late.

A more grounded and serious narrative is maybe the best news there, since I know they won't fail at the combat. I never finished the first one (I will when it's all 100% enhanced) because it was all a bit too silly for me.

Competitive questing sounds like a bit of a joke and hope doesn't take too much development time away from the real game. Then again I don't like other people in muh RPGs :argh:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In at the $25 tier. The expanded co-op doesn't mean much to me, as I'll play it SP, but I'm hopeful for less goofiness in the general story.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS didn't hit its $400,000 goal until like two weeks so this is great news for them. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom