Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As for the importance of coop and the weight larian gives it, iirc i read somewhere that their own research showed that only 15% used those multiplayer options?

I don't recall that. Tell me if you can find a source.

Cnaiur

Augur
Heh i could have sworn i read this somewhere in the past few weeks. I cannot remember where though, and google doesnt help really.

From EG:

Now, as before, that doesn't mean you have to play it socially, though you can - up to three players this time, either with one character each or sharing out the party as you see fit. Larian is well aware that only around 10-15 per cent of players teamed up last time (their numbers) and the focus is still very much on the single-player experience. The advantage of designing for multiplayer anyway though is that it forces systems and scripts to be more reactive and open and bulletproofed, with the result that you get a far more responsive, weighted world. An NPC can't simply teleport out of jail behind a fade-to-black once found innocent for instance. A quest has to work whether or not one player knows what's coming, or finds a key character dead on arrival.

edit: might as well extend the quote for people worrying about a lack of SP focus.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny thing is, that sounds really low, but I bet it's actually way higher than the percentage of people who multiplayed the IE games. :P

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Still no update on stretch goals. I like Swen and Larian as a whole, but it really is fascinating that almost all financially successful Kickstarter campaigns suffer from an unbelievable level of incompetence.

:retarded:

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
They'll come today. Apparently worked on them good portion of yesterday, and it's 4-5 am where Swen is now...

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That doesn't change the fact that a competently managed campaign has all (or at least most) of the updates already prepared (in both written and video versions alike) before it even starts.
Jesus fucking Christ, this is like 2012 all over again.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That doesn't change the fact that a competently managed campaign has all (or at least most) of the updates already prepared (in both written and video versions alike) before it even starts.
Jesus fucking Christ, this is like 2012 all over again.

Larian is authentic in what they do. That's why they are successful.

There are plenty of snake oil salesmen with scripted lines and fake smiles over there ->

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Agree that claiming to be caught of guard seems a bit amateur hour or more fitting to a KS novice. Did they honestly think the KS would go slow or not at all?

On the other hand maybe negotiating with mca proves more difficult than anticipated..

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, "our stretch goals aren't ready yet" does not have to mean they didn't prepare anything. It may also mean a change of plans, new factors having to be taken into consideration, etc.

Still not entirely professional, but who knows what their reasons may be. It's hard to believe they didn't expect the campaign with a mere $500,000 goal to be funded fast given how successful D:OS itself was.

JasonNH

Augur
Pretty sure the stretch goal issue has a lot to do with with Swen being out at Pax Prime while this is going on. I wonder what possessed him to start the campaign while he was scheduled to be halfway around the world from his home office. He's probably asking himself that at the moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Well, maybe he figures the journos at PAX Prime will go ask him about the game now and report on it later on. From my perspective, it's certainly more interesting than a third round of D:OS EE interviews and gameplay demos.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1335715

c9ee20af9be59ad31efbbf44a2efee77_original.jpg

$700,000 Stretch Goal: Strategist Mode
Akin to Divinity: Original Sin- Enhanced Edition's Tactician Mode, Original Sin 2 will feature a brand new difficulty called Strategist Mode. Rest assured this difficulty tier will consist of much more than a simple numbers game. Yes, your enemies will hit harder, but that is far from all! Each and every fight in the game will be redesigned for Strategist Mode so that enemies are smarter, often come in greater numbers and use a host of skills and tactics they won't use in lower difficulty modes. If we reach this stretch goal, the fights in Original Sin 2 will receive this epic treatment from the get-go.

$850,000 Stretch Goal: Pick a Skill Tree, I
Divinity: Original Sin is rife with spectacular skills, and besides the many new ones we've already planned for Original Sin 2, we want to add even more unique skills to the repertoire. We have quite a list and will let our the backers pick a brand new skill tree, featuring at least 16 skills each, from among a host of new proposals when the campaign ends. New proposals, you say! Such as?

Well, here are a few to tickle your imagination:

Polymorpher - As a polymorpher, your body is your oyster. Grow sharp-as-swords horns, poisonous tentacles (with the bonus of further reach) or even wings that allow you to dash and dive across the battlefield. You can even change completely into - what? Something monstrous, that's for sure...

Trap Master - Craft mines, place them in strategic positions and lure the unwitting enemy (or "ally") into your traps! At higher levels you'll be able to toss your deathtraps into groups of foes; taunt them so that they run blindly into your snares, and even craft bombs that you can sneak into an enemy's pocket. Tick. Tock. BOOM!

Bard - Inspire your allies to perform even greater feats of magic and carnage, then pacify, confuse or lull to sleep your enemies with songs and music. Of course, you don't have to be the party's unwavering champion. You can also weave lies into your tales, which can influence the attitude of NPCs in various ways. Sing your own praises and see them cheers you; paint your friends as cowards and see them be hailed with contempt!

Unarmed Combatant - This is for the hands-on fighters that don't want to dance around their targets, but get down and dirty by going for chokeholds and body throws. Wrestle your foes with bare fists, or go for some extra piercing power with vicious knuckles and claws.

Summoning Master - To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

Juggernaut - If you want to role play a bloodthirsty maniac that thrives on gore and pain, this is the one to get. Get stronger as your health drops; swing mighty great-swords or dual-wield axes; drown your enemies in spilled blood. You can even sacrifice your own hitpoints in return for massive, area-shattering blows. Beware of friendly fire though - if you even care, that is.

Guardian - A born protector, this sword 'n' board wielding warrior prioritizes a strong defense over offense. Your shield will become a wall behind which you -and your allies- can close in on the enemy unharmed. Your provocations will also turn your foes' attention toward you, but that's ok because other skills include becoming nigh invulnerable for brief amounts of time.

Alchemist - The powers of alchemy become as weapons in your hands! Throw potions like grenades; coat your weapons with poisons and curses; control clouds of steam, lightning, miasma and more; bask in the vastly superior effects of every potion you can get your hands on!

$1,000,000 Stretch Goal: Racial Skills
ba922dbe72b0cd9fa3ba3ea67797d6bc_original.jpg

In Divinity: Original Sin 2, your unique origins will radically change the way you experience the world around you. Of course, since combat is one of the central ways in which you’ll engage with this world, it’s only sensible that your origins and your skillset should intertwine.

When we reach the $1M mark, we’ll develop a set of race-specific skills, abilities, and talents reflective of each race’s background and strengths.

Imagine: a Wood Elf able to summon an army of shambling trees; a Lizard recalling the devastating powers of his draconic ancestors; a Dwarf with the authority of the Empress; a human so good at pickpocketing, he can even catch his own party mates unawares...

$1,200,000 Stretch Goal: Undead Origins
8a333cd19749f143281bc38836bb6a84_original.jpg

In Original Sin 2, no longer will you have to be human all too human alone. You can be a dwarf too, an elf, yes even a proud lizard! But if we reach this stretchgoal, you'll be able to tell the tales of the dead with undead origins! That's right: at this point we will add the undead as a playable race, complete with origin stories. Let us give you an example! Imagine, if you will, a story that goes something like this:

Adelard has been a warrior since his early teens, first in the armies of the Divine; later as a sword for hire. There wasn't a force in the world that could best him, or so he thought! Because one day an orc with a temper did a number on him and his crew, and he ended up dead in the grass, speared through the heart.

That is how he was found by a necromancer, who, impressed by the muscle on Adelard's dead body, decided to resurrect him and use him as a puppet-warrior to do his bidding. But there is something different about undead Adelard. Unlike any other victim of necromancy, he remembers who is and he knows what he has become.

Horrified, disoriented, he flees from his vile enslaver and sets out on a journey home, a journey which he realises will be fraught with danger. He may be more or less welcome among the scattered bands of Black Ring, but his travels will take him through Divine Order territory where he'll be forced to mask himself or be challenged by every Magister he meets.

All he longs for now is the comfort of home, a place where he will be welcome; where he can learn to live, perhaps, with this waking nightmare. But with each step closer to his goal, doubt and fear assail him more and more. What will they say? His wife; his mother; his brother... For who is Adelard now?

If Adelard still...

$1,350,000 Stretch Goal: Pick a Skill Tree, II
With all the fantastic skills we've dreamt up, we'll need plenty of manpower to implement them. At this mark, we'll again open up a vote to let the backers decide which other of the skill trees listed at the $700,000 tier you would like to see in the game. Voting will be done by backers after the campaign ends.

$1,500,000 Stretch Goal; The Hall of Echoes
Some Rivellonians live in fear of it; some write songs of it; others still are sent there far before their time. When we reach $1,500,000, we'll send you to the Hall of Echoes, land of the dead.

You, unique among the living, will be able to travel to and from this spirit world, where you'll uncover mysteries never before discovered by mortal eyes. You'll gain access to occult wonders, and you'll come face to face with those you've lost-- and those you've dispatched.

The best part - you'll be able to make this your home base!

And wait: we've got more good news!
Due to the high demand for some of the tiers, we've introduced a few more to give more folks a shot at the rewards they're after!

Because of this, every backer who already pledged $125 or more (i.e. the "Kickstarter Collectors Edition" tier, or any higher tier) will ALSO receive downloads of our Digital Developer's Diary materials, including design documents, notes on story and world-building, and an art pack.

And that's not all! Every backer who pledges more than $200 (i.e. the “Signed Kickstarter Collector's Edition” tier, or any higher tier) will ALSO receive a signed piece of concept art delivered to their door!

In closing...
It's been a whirlwind of a press tour in the US so far, full of fun PvP gameplay, long days, and... a whole world of technical problems. Of course, everything is funnier in retrospect, so check out the good, the bad, and the funny below:

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
The second update video makes me think that the cocaine Swen scored in Seattle is even better than what he usually gets in Ghent.

Sjukob

Arcane
I'm sure that all of those stretch goals will be achieved . But racial skills as a strech goal ? What the fuck ?!

Imagine: a Wood Elf able to summon an army of shambling trees; a Lizard recalling the devastating powers of his draconic ancestors; a Dwarf with the authority of the Empress; a human so good at pickpocketing, he can even catch his own party mates unawares
That's even worse than I thought .

But I finaly see some good armor .

Also
How about bromance option for stretch goal ?

a Lizard recalling the devastating powers of his draconic ancestors
You know , I actually had hopes that lizards might be actual persons and not some douches with god complex .

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We should negotiate to get one vote for every 25 dollars raised through the Codex fundraiser.

Aenra

i want it all, i want it all... :8

undead race + homestead hall of echoes + better (so they say) modding support?

am too old to get this excited for gaemz ffs.. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

To those more proficient with Kickstarter, how likely does that 1,500,000 seem to be?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hall of Echo's as a home base? Mehhh..

Hall of Echo's as a plot device that allows you to speak to people and villians you've already beaten.. Interesting....
Sort of like that NWN module Witches Wake where spirits you found or defeated would be trapped in the fugue plane.. I think?

VERY INTERDASTING.. :bounce:

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
It's currently on track to easily pass 2,000,000, so pretty likely, I'd say.

Sjukob

Arcane
To those more proficient with Kickstarter, how likely does that 1,500,000 seem to be?
You better ask yourself what skill tree do you to see . The amount of money is very close to 850000 , the poll should appear soon .

By the way vote for alchemist tree , call your friends , relatieves and cooworkers to vote for alchemist tree

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom