Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aenra

As some don't give a fuck of you may have noticed, i am (for entirely different reasons) also an MMORPG fan;

/people throw eggs at me

I can tell you that all fanboyism aside, the more i think about it, the more this whole 'expanding' the co-op deal and comments thereof is beginning to worry me.. Multiplaying brings its own necessities, conventions, and therefore rules to the table. Rules that are often constricting and incompatible with those found in a 'true' single RPG. There must be a line drawn to all this before we get to really really bad outcomes here. I am sincerely hoping they are fully aware of this. Yes they have even joked about MMOs and how mainstream they are, but no, this is not enough for me to feel assuaged. Just look at all the talk within the last two pages here, look again at the backer comments in the KS..warning signs :s

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Today, Australia time.

Brought to you by Bubbles's Patented Staff Leaks™

Lucky

Arcane
Depends what you mean by "main selling point". Is it the reason for the majority of sales? Probably not. Is it the reason why the game sold a lot more than certain other single player RPGs? Could be.

I agree with you on that, to an extent. I don't doubt that multiplayer helped set Original Sin apart from its competitors, but as far as I can tell it wasn't what truly made it stand out. That honour belongs to the combat system and how you could use it to interact with the campaign world and NPCs, which was way more influential in the public perception of the game and was also the thing that actually made the co-op play differently from other games. Basically, would it have sold worse if there was no multiplayer? Probably. Is it something without which the game would have been a flop? Highly unlikely.

Swen cited SCL as a major competitor because of its multiplayer. We discussed my impression of the game at Gamescom a bit, and he only wanted to know if co-op was fun.

That does make it sound like he's giving a lot of attention to the multiplayer elements, but I'm curious to see whether that is because multiplayer is going to be essential to having the most fun, or because, like the story, it was one the parts that had a lot of room for improvement in comparison to Original Sin. They received almost nothing but praise for the combat, so he'd be justifiably confident about that part, but I remember a lot of people complaining about the story and how co-op worked. What would worry me, though, is if seeing Sword Coast Legends as competitors meant that they're aiming more on producing module-size chunks, rather than long campaigns. That would pretty much instantly kill my interest in the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It would appear that Swen believes that multiplayer features are a prime reason, perhaps the prime reason. for his game's success. It's why he thinks Sword Coast Legends is his greatest competitor."

For making such a fun game he is an idiot. A prime reason/ the main reason? FUCK OFF. Multiplayer probably had very very very little to do with its 'success'.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it did help Original Sin a little bit. I remember how people complained about no MP in Pillars of Eternity. I personally couldn't give a fuck about MP. If it's in, I might play with my brother, that's about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It can be hard for core single player gamers on forums like these to comprehend just how much of a hub Steam is for "multiplayer sandbox"-type games. People really really like games where they can fuck around with their friends.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"It would appear that Swen believes that multiplayer features are a prime reason, perhaps the prime reason. for his game's success. It's why he thinks Sword Coast Legends is his greatest competitor."

For making such a fun game he is an idiot. A prime reason/ the main reason? FUCK OFF. Multiplayer probably had very very very little to do with its 'success'.

Swen is also a huge co-op/multiplayer fan in general, so this may factor into his enthusiasm regardless of what market research is saying.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It can be hard for core single player gamers on forums like these to comprehend just how much of a hub Steam is for "multiplayer sandbox"-type games. People really really like games where they can fuck around with their friends.
Yeah, if you want to do solid numbers, multi player can help if your game gets good scores/word of mouth. I just hope they don't focuse too much on that and make the SP suffer.

Sjukob

Arcane
But the thing that we want to remind people about in single player is that the companions aren't just henchmen that you pick up along the way. Each and every one of them will be just as deep and complicated a character as the character that you make when you start the game. It's going to be a great experience putting your party together, and we're really looking forward to seeing how people react to it!
Why can't we just create our own party ? I don't feel like picking up some fuckers to my team , I want to create personal characters and finish game with them .

Yes, we currently have humans, elves, dwarves, and lizards as playable races. As for additional races... well, we might have something to say about that soon. Watch this space .
If this will be something like elves or godlike from PoE , I'm going to find whoever was responsible for this and shit under his door .

I hope the option to talk to yourself is still there .

Neanderthal

Arcane
If this will be something like elves or godlike from PoE , I'm going to find whoever was responsible for this and shit under his door .

I hope the option to talk to yourself is still there .

More likely to be one of the seven established races of Rivellon, think they were Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Lizards as mentioned above, and Imps, Orcs and strangely enough Wizards. Though Undead were a race in Dragon Commander.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Conflating races and classes is a deliciously oldschool thing to do. It's like how Dwarves and Elves were classes in the original D&D.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why can't we just create our own party ? I don't feel like picking up some fuckers to my team , I want to create personal characters and finish game with them .

It's all good. Here's from the developer's recent comments:

This is still very much a topic that's up for debate, so nothing's set in stone in regards character creation. We'll be looking at it long and hard once the Kickstarter campaign's done, so we may well end up with 4 fully customized characters.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's all good. Here's from the developer's recent comments:
With the Origin stories, it seems like they can be character independent. So like, you can play with a princess or whoever they have in the video, no matter if she's black/white/is named Flipper or whatever, just as long as race/gender matches what they want for the character. So it's very possible that they can just have 4 fully customizable characters with a few pre-built characters that they want.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hi all! (Swen here) I'm sorry to say that we won't manage the stretch goals update today :( It'll be up tomorrow morning but you'll be happy to hear that you already blasted through the first one. We did our best and have been working on it since early this morning, but too much stuff just went wrong.

Poor guy.

Zeriel

Arcane
Conflating races and classes is a deliciously oldschool thing to do. It's like how Dwarves and Elves were classes in the original D&D.

There are no classes in Divinity, so there's not really any conflation going on.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
More likely to be one of the seven established races of Rivellon, think they were Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Lizards as mentioned above, and Imps, Orcs and strangely enough Wizards. Though Undead were a race in Dragon Commander.
Well, the hulking armor on the far left of the five player character concept arts in a row's been looking like an orc to me from the get-go. Imps could be fun, too. Undead would be... complicated, I'd wager.

Sjukob

Arcane
So , admins decided to raise money now . I think it would be hard , since everyone who wanted to back have already done so .

Grokalibre

Augur
Pretty sure the rpg hardcores all played W2, PoE, and DOS at release, starved as they were.

On the other hand there are people who like rpgs, but enough to care about W2 and PoE, who played D:OS due to its multiplayer. Dunno how much they represent in sales % though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad there's only one tiny tier tucked in there with a copy of D:OS. Now how am I going to scam a free copy of the original game off my fellow Codexers? :(

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Too bad there's only one tiny tier tucked in there with a copy of D:OS. Now how am I going to scam a free copy of the original game off my fellow Codexers? :(
I think I have a spare key, though I'll let you know when I get home.

Been needing to give it away to someone so that it can get upgraded to EE for free.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
As for the importance of coop and the weight larian gives it, iirc i read somewhere that their own research showed that only 15% used those multiplayer options? If that is true it would be silly to declare coop the main reason for succes and put much resources into expanding these features. Still i would like to see some assurance in the updates that sp mode will not be overlooked, or better that it will demonstratebly benefit from these apparently superduper coop mp shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom