Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Pick a Skill Tree", eh? :|
We're going to come up with a bunch of wonderful, creative options for character development, and then deny most of them to you.
Ah well, I guess it's a smart way for them to get people like me to sign up for the forums and vote against the bad ideas. Polymorpher sounds horrible. I guess I wouldn't be annoyed if the ability to be the hideous transforming spawn of Satan was in the game and I didn't have to use it ... but now I have to know that there won't be bards or summoners or trapmakers in the game because of it and because of the bad taste of my fellow gamers. Way to spit in my eye there!

--------------

As for day/night cycles, I hope they leave them out because NPC schedules are crap. It's hard enough to keep track of where to go to get shit done in an RPG without being told the store is closed half the time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
As for day/night cycles, I hope they leave them out because NPC schedules are crap. It's hard enough to keep track of where to go to get shit done in an RPG without being told the store is closed half the time.

I find it very unlikely that they'd put in day/night cycles now that they're focussing on PvP co-op. Imagine having to hold a unanimous vote every time you want to rest until morning.

:Flash:

Arcane
I haven't been following this thread (forgot about it after it was moved away, I never read all those subforums).
I don't know, I'm not very enthusiastic about this. Everything that would be interesting is not there (day/night schedules, Editor support, ...). Sounds like a slamdunk sequel on the engine they already have, playing it safe and not really pushing the limits.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Four player co-op is pushing the limits. What other RPGs are you gonna play with four people?

Aenra

Everything that would be interesting is not there (day/night schedules, Editor support, ...)

d&n schedule i regret, but can understand. Was too hard for them in the first one, so considering all the extras added in the sequel..fine by me.

But i''ve been telling them about that editor and its importance (along with some others) for quite some time now. Not just because it would benefit us having a better one, but also due to what it could entail for them. So many games of a much lower quality managing to remain not only 'relevant', but highly visible in .net searches and forums precisely due to that: Their fucking mod-friendliness. Even a horrid launch state can be greatly ameliorated through a good editor.
Larian could have benefited immensely for providing that with D:OS (if not for the base release, at the very least for the EE). Someone somehow decided otherwise. Now i read and applaud their "slightly improved editor for D:OS 2" remarks, but obviously..someone's just not getting it.

Rather than repeating myself, why not go over their forums and suggest it yourself? They do read our comments, the more voices the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Four player co-op is pushing the limits. What other RPGs are you gonna play with four people?
I have no idea. Good luck to getting 3 other people to log regularly at the same time to play a 50 hours+ CRPG. Might as well play the real deal.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

a6Kg3oC.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure what people like about day/night cycles so much, I just find it annoying as fuck to find a store closed where I wanted to shop, a person sleeping to which I wanted to talk, to waste time waiting for some timed event to occur etc etc.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Swen has hired some "aggressive display of navel" cosplayers for PAX. They gon' get kicked out.

BaNWlMc.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Will they add weather options other than rain? Sandstorms, hurricanes... And the weather would affect combat mechanics.

The day/night cycle would be nice, no need for schedules.

One thing that annoyed me in d:os is that cyseal was awais in day light than you walk to the cemetery, suddenly it was a rainy night.

Let those be random now.
Sandstorms were part of the presentation in D:OS:EE (I'm not sure that they were in the original game, I never played past the first level due to 'beta fatigue')

Grokalibre

Augur
Not sure what people like about day/night cycles so much, I just find it annoying as fuck to find a store closed where I wanted to shop, a person sleeping to which I wanted to talk, to waste time waiting for some timed event to occur etc etc.
Day/night like in Fallout 3 is awesome. With it you have npcs either standing at their regular spot or in the next room lying in a bed.Sometimes you'll find one who refuse to speak until a given hour so you have to use the "wait" ability. There's a bit of math to do to wait just the right time so it's like a minigame. Incline!!!

Aenra

Don't exaggerate..just think of vampire/werewolf in D:OS 2 current, and vampire/werewolf with d&n schedules in. Think of thieving at night (Gothic II, pre-exp), of guard eyesight in the morning. Think of deeper plot possibilities, think of light spells at night, and shadow spells mechanics during daylight. Think modder modules, think landmass and setting-appropriate "themes" within its segments.
It is a big miss and you should know it. Understandably absent, ok, if they can't, they can't, but a miss nonetheless :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They now have more backers than D:OS did during its entire campaign. Larian's hit the big time.

Some time ago they moved Avellone from the "stretch goals" section to the "game ideas" section of their uservoice thing. If they use him, he won't be a goal, just someone they'll hire.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Don't exaggerate..just think of vampire/werewolf in D:OS 2 current, and vampire/werewolf with d&n schedules in. Think of thieving at night (Gothic II, pre-exp), of guard eyesight in the morning. Think of deeper plot possibilities, think of light spells at night, and shadow spells mechanics during daylight. Think modder modules, think landmass and setting-appropriate "themes" within its segments.
It is a big miss and you should know it. Understandably absent, ok, if they can't, they can't, but a miss nonetheless :)
Night without illumination and LoS mechanics is just a gimmick. You may as well invent a world where there's no day and night but has "daily seasons" and roll with that.

EDIT: I need to copyright that idea.

EDIT: Almost a century of medieval fantasy fiction and nobody came up with a world model without day/night cycles or any cosmological accurate version of it?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They now have more backers than D:OS did during its entire campaign. Larian's hit the big time.

Some time ago they moved Avellone from the "stretch goals" section to the "game ideas" section of their uservoice thing. If they use him, he won't be a goal, just someone they'll hire.
I'm sure that they will mention him in the kickstarter campaign at some point. I am excite.

EDIT: Almost a century of medieval fantasy fiction and nobody came up with a world model without day/night cycles or any cosmological accurate version of it?

I've written a novel about a world with multiple suns and daytime would last for years with an occasional 'year of blackness' where the suns wouldn't shine on parts of the world for extended periods of time, which would cause obvious environmental stress. It probably wasn't cosmologically accurate though lol.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom