Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Well, even if it is bullshit, it's not really like they need yet another race in the world, and I get the impression that they'd rather avoid the work another PC race would be (since that means new origins, new racial skills, lots of new dialogue tags and reactions).
Well, obviously. But being honest about it would be... preferable.

Mustawd

They're going to stretch themselves too thin again.

Totally agree. Larian has a hard time staying in scope it seems. I think part of that lies on Swen's passion for games, but unfortunately it'll just result in another EE after D:OS 2 releases. Which is why I'm waiting 3 years before I buy both EEs in a bundle for 50% off...

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
...huh? Not that I need--or even want--them in every fantasy work ever, but that sounds like a bullshit copout reason to me. Lolth obviously is trademarked and copyrighted to hell and back, but while I'm pretty sure the terms "Underdark" and "drow" are protected as well (at least the latter due to bureaucratic ignorance/incompetence), fiction is chock-full of dark elves, with most of them being very close to the D&D archetype, which is what people were obviously actually asking about/for.
Beholders are also trademarked nowadays.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$1.35M Stretch Goal reached:

b3254556d69aa8c696d14bf06a258052_original.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
I hope they don't overplay their hand with the new studios and employees.
By providing salaries for 60+ new people and setting up two satellite offices, it's pretty clear where all the proceeds from DOS went. They must also have loans and/or publisher funding. Maybe this KS really is key for the game's success- not financially, but in terms of justifying the total business cost Larian is taking on. They need to prove that they have the commensurate audience size to justify all the expense.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update 7: Stretch goal unlocked... and new stretch goals announced!
Posted by Larian Studios LLC
A pledge from a mysterious Divine Noble backer has pushed us up to the line for the $1,350,000 stretch goal, so as of today we've unlocked the Pick A Skill Tree II stretch goal! That means we're approaching our last stretch goal, The Hall of Echoes! And that also means we're running out of stretch goals, so we've added a few new things that would make Divinity: Original Sin 2 that much better!

Your new home in the Great Beyond...

When a being dies, depending on the life they've led, the Source within them will go to one of two destinations; the Architect's Forge (where they'll be reincarnated) or the Void (where they'll cease to exist). Before reaching these two final destinations however, the soul will arrive at the Hall of Echoes, the domain of the dead. And if the next stretch goal is unlocked, then you will be able to visit the Hall of Echoes at will, for it will become your homestead!

We have many ambitions for the Hall of Echoes and have been discussing ideas of what players might be able to find there. Nothing is set in stone and we'd love to hear your ideas so please do let us know what you think would be cool additions.

Here's a few of the ideas we came up with:

• An arena in which you can test your mettle against your companions (or a variety of creatures)
  • A campfire for waiting companions
  • Powerful figures - attracted by your presence, who make you all kinds of offers
  • Characters you killed in the world may appear here, haunting you or begging you for deliverance - those who follow the path of the Void will even be able to coerce these poor souls into doing their bidding
  • A spectral anvil on which you can craft unique equipment
  • A magical artefact that allows you to craft special skills
  • A bridge to the Void - an eerie, surreal and VERY dangerous place where special loot/spells/dark Source secrets can be found
  • A bridge to the Gods, where you can visit avatars of the Seven
  • The doorway to the Forge- what could happen if you step through the door?
  • Spirits with special requests, and special rewards...
  • Black mirrors that show you visions of other planes
  • Undead creatures that can be convinced to do dark deeds for you
4e3713e4b845aa7beb9e74f0e131eea1_original.jpg

There are many interesting characters to be met in the hall of echoes...
Now tell us yours!

New stretch goals!
We know you've been waiting for them, so here they are!

52f64438d712b24e47533fcbb1a09052_original.jpg

$1,650,000 – Dedicated mod tool support!

We'll hire a team that will be dedicated to making the editor as intuitive as possible, and who will help the community build all kinds of new awesomeness.

$1,750,000 – Love/Hate!

We’ll dedicate more scripters and writers to expand on the dynamic relationship system we’re building. Intense rivalry! Friendship and enmity! And... as so many of you have been asking for it… romance!

$1,850,000 – Metamorphosis... Mask of the Shapeshifter!

Imagine you get a mask that lets you change your shape. One moment you're a lizard, the next an ordinary human, with completely different dialog options (and visuals of course). By expanding on our tag system, we’ll let you assume different roles in the game with the same character. This will open completely different play styles. Don't want any competition? Don't want companions? Become a lone wolf with a very special mask...

$2,000,000 – Dungeon Master Mode!

Building on the work of the mod team, we'll make an in-game version of the editor that allows dungeon-masters to unleash their fantasies on budding adventurers, adjusting and controlling the dungeon while the other players are playing!

That's a lot of stretch goals but we still have many days to go so here's us crossing our fingers that you'll push us to new heights!

Devline Summary
Last night, Swen and Sarah broadcast a new episode of our Larian Devline Q&A Twitch stream, playing the prototype in cooperative mode and answering questions. Click the link to watch the vids, but if you’re in a hurry, here’s the summary, courtesy of our friend, the very brilliant Stabbey.

• Will there be whips in the game? Swen likes them as a weapon choice, so maybe.
  • The editor will be the same as that for D:OS, but expanded and improved.
  • They will focus on release for PC first, they're making some changes to the engine and don't want to promise other platforms until they're sure it will work there.
  • No release for mobile platforms.
  • There was some production issue preventing you from using dual-shields, it wasn't just a silliness thing.
  • There will be a Spanish translation for D:OS 1 EE, it's still TBD for DOS2.
  • Will the game have pets? It doesn't right now, still TBD.
  • Will there be romances? There is some desire to do things on that front, they're prototyping things, but nothing is decided. [See above.]
  • Will the EE come with all the bonus content? Yes.
  • There is no 4-player split-screen, only 2-players, the other two players will need a separate box/TV.
  • The Trait system will be improved, that's how some of the dialogue tags work in DOS2.
  • Will Bellegar come back? Dunno, Jan has to write a lot of poems for the postcards. (and no you can't get the post-cards as an add-on, they were deliberately tied to a limited tier for a reason.)
  • The Paypal payment option is almost ready.
  • They do have a system which will allow you to ambush-attack your partners, but it's not ready yet.
  • They don't have a render or sample of the hoodie to show yet.
  • You can probably change skin tone for other races. I *think* they said you can't change body types because that's tied in with animations and such.
  • They are still undecided about who the new composer should be.
  • Will there be some version of the Lone Wolf Talent in DOS2? Swen thinks so.
  • In 4-player co-op will each player design their own characters or pick them from pre-sets (companions)? They're still working on that.
  • No fish weapon yet. Maybe, though.
  • The player housing is the Hall of Echoes stretch goal.
  • Will there be mixed races? The Undead will have you select your sub-race.
  • What are the penalties for dying? They're still working on that.
  • Will there be a UI button to make using the teleporter pyramids easier? Yes, probably.
  • Can you meet young Damian? No, this is just before Beyond Divinity, he's still stuck in Nemesis.
  • Will there be multiple ways to the next area? Yes, there will be ways to go separately or together.
  • Will you be able to return to previous zones? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depending on the zone.
  • Chris Avellone won't be a stretch goal, the man is too stretched already
  • No Drow, they are copyrighted.
  • The crafting menu is improved, you can discover effects and use that to create recipes.
  • The action-point system is still in development
  • No bonus for transferring saves. The games are over 1,200 years apart anyway.
  • The plan is for more towns to travel to than in D:OS (4), but you know what they say about plans...
  • Aleroth is planned to be one of the towns.
  • D:OS 1 EE is about at the Gold Master stage.
  • Can we genocide all the cheese vendors? Yes.
  • What are the consequences of breaking pacts with your party members? He has a big design document, but he wants to hear from us for suggestions about that.
  • Will there be any way to speed up combat? Maybe. They're trying things, but it may not work out.
  • Will there be funny descriptions for your current stats, like what Divine Divinity had? Swen hopes to bring that back.
  • Will there be a Junk tag for items? Ways to send multiple items at once? It's on the list, but it won't be in the EE, maybe DOS2.
  • Can any two spells be combined? They're trying. There will also be "metamagic" spellbooks which can't be learned, only used for spellcrafting. You will be able to craft warrior/ranger/rogue skills, not just magic skills.
Shout-out!
The guys at Rockfish Games are making EVERSPACE, and we think it looks amazing. They only have a couple of hours left in what has been a very successful campaign, so get on over there right now and join the ride.

00f46ddbab76ec3a85e4de995fe733d2_original.jpg

0d51343dfb1448c3f7b802df332fe7fb_original.jpg

a17cf2d2b4a7fa0040ba4210c616e1df_original.jpg

... oh, yeah... romance stretch goal.... my enthusiasm is building.... :roll:

I beat you this time Infinibro... ;)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
$2,000,000 – Dungeon Master Mode!

Building on the work of the mod team, we'll make an in-game version of the editor that allows dungeon-masters to unleash their fantasies on budding adventurers, adjusting and controlling the dungeon while the other players are playing!

Sword Coast Legends - the hype is real. They even use a d20 with a similar color scheme as the SCL one :M

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
noticed that too lol

also romance stretch goal...really?

(btw sven are you going all out inclusive on this one ? otherwise prep for the sjw onslaught)

maybe lowering my ks amount is in order

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Romance options are clearly to allow tasteful rape among unsuspecting party members in the multiplayer mode. Rock, Paper, Scissors works especially well with the ladies in real life.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Larian - hero of Codex --- going full pompamole!!

I will laugh my ass off when Beamdog is only grognard approved developer left....

Athelas

Arcane
How can they talk about a Love & Hate stretch goal without this stretch goal.... HOW?!!

index.php

I am so disappointed Larian....... :negative:
Would you hire someone who made awkward selfies of himself before selfies were even a thing?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How are romances and DM mode popamole?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom