Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Adult mode
Extra gore, extra nudity, and extra profanity (with an option to turn it off for the young'ns)

Romances
The option to romance your followers. (with an option to turn it off for the adults)
Fixed. Adult mode is stupid but inoffensive, romances can destroy your brain if you aren't 8.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Unfortunately, that's not true anymore and I am not sure if Swen hasn't been aware of the latest developments. Because recently, larger well-known franchises are minimizing the available money for smaller 'regular' projects on KS.
Well, it's a shame if those numbers are true, but I call bullshit on the proposed causation.

I seriously doubt people's mentality changed that drastically that quickly; mine sure didn't. I can't be bothered (nor can I afford) to check Kickstarter all the time, but when there's a big project (preferably one I'm interested in), I do look around for other stuff of interest.

Want a realistic sounding reason? The strength of the U.S. dollar and the more (Euro Pesos) or less (Russian Rubbish) artificial nosedive of other currencies about half a year ago; I and many others simply can't afford to back as much as we used to.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Apparently someone wants to romance a 'Chris Avalone', chuckles at the misspelling.
rmca18p.png

Man, I agree that DivDiv soundtrack was gold, but it seemed to get a lot of criticism when it was used in D:OS

Probably because most people weren't aware Kirill was seriously ill. I mean, they said he was ill and after that it was pretty much radio silence until, well you know :( So I'm sure it was more disappointment since getting Kirill an orchestra was a big deal for many (because everybody loved Kirill and his music)

Fuck, now I'm sad.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, it's a shame if those numbers are true, but I call bullshit on the proposed causation.
I seriously doubt people's mentality changed that drastically that quickly; mine sure didn't. I can't be bothered (nor can I afford) to check Kickstarter all the time, but when there's a big project (preferably one I'm interested in), I do look around for other stuff of interest.
Want a realistic sounding reason? The strength of the U.S. dollar and the more (Euro Pesos) or less (Russian Rubbish) artificial nosedive of other currencies about half a year ago; I and many others simply can't afford to back as much as we used to.
This numbers are within the expected variability. If one wants really check out the relations between large projects and smaller projects, then you have to:
A) Use smaller time intervals (2 weeks) for measurement, and not half a year OR one year.
B) Compare the behavior of small projects pre large project campaign with the behaviour of small projects past large project campaign.
C) You have to analyse the backer structure of the smaller projects and the backer structure of large projects.
D) You have to diversify different backer groups and their behaviour in a KS.

If i would guess then i would state that for most of the KS backers one certain property applies: they have been pulled into a KS by a large project. And then they stayed because they saw other intersting projects. And therefore you are a typical example for a certain group of KS backers and we are both in the same group. I have seen that many of the first timer due to BTIV and Shenmue and Torment have also pledged into other projects ( "novelty of the KS" effect ), as i have acted more conservative and looked if this projects are interesting to me (which was not the fact).
If i would have delivered something on the level of this article in the University, they would have asked me if i'm joking. There is nothing to draw a conclusion from in this article, besides that large projects let make the KS more money.
I assume that the mentality of the most backers have changed a bit, because the novum of the KS has worn a bit off, and they act more conservative and think more about the projects that they want to support or not, because in most cases they have now realised that this is just a new form of pre-order, where you have no garanties.
The strength of the US dollar may could be naturally also be a very good reason, but to determine this we would have to look at normal projects and where their backers come from. And there is a bit luck in it, because i know that Kingdom Come: Deliverance had about 20%-25% of US backers. So if this applies to other projects, then the strength of the US dollar is a valid explanation even if the backer structure would be 40% US citizens.

Suicidal

Arcane
to the PC police, fuck off, if you can't handle gore, nudity and profanity go down to the basement, dig up your baby toys and play with them till you're ready to enter the adult world.

imadult.png

Also IIRC Original Sin had plenty of gore and the nature goddess was (almost) naked. Was that not enough for this guy's ADULT sensibilities?

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
I assume that the mentality of the most backers have changed a bit, because the novum of the KS has worn a bit off, and they act more conservative and think more about the projects that they want to support or not,
Well, obviously KS veterans become more discerning after the initial (expensive) rush of excitement, but at least for me (who joined for WL2) that happened long before 2015. If anything, there's been a considerable lack of a constant stream of big projects (that mainstream sites actually grant some coverage) to continuously bring in fresh blood.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More comments from the blog:

Do you really wish for KS to turn into a preorder-/hype-market? Sentences like "why invest your own money when you can use other willing people's money" and "it's stupid not to allow backers to fund it" sound very much like the arguments Sony, Ubisoft or EA will use behind closed doors when they enter KS.

As a backer I'm looking for reasons more in line with my interests and except for the feedback reason your's sound more like the investors credo "milking the market for all you can get".

Swen: We are already investing a lot of our own money into it & are capable of doing good things with that. But there's a lot more that we could do & if the KS community decides to back us, then we will do those extra things. I don't see anything wrong with that given that all backers are free to choose what they support or not & what I just said will be made very clear.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, Swen. I'll be honest: when I first read the news about DOS2 I literally jumped for joy. I am a bit sad there won't be an expansion for DOS, but on the whole a new game is always better. Even though I'm anxious about Larian gambling so heavily on each game... I think maybe your games wouldn't be as great as they are if you weren't all so completely invested in them.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say I dearly hope these risks continue to pay off in the future.

Swen: Each game has its own dev history and there's absolutely no way we can predict if it's going to be successful or not. The one thing I can tell you that everybody who's seen it so far wants to play it. If that continues to be the case, I think it's reasonable to invest a lot in.

With the comparison to BG2 comes the expectation of a great story, memorable characters and writing - all of which that were found severely wanting in D:OS. Especially when DD and DK excelled in those departments. The tongue in cheek humour was funny but that can only take you so far. Hope you fix those aspects with D:OS 2.

Swen: That particular ambition is definitely there.

What about divinity 2 ego draconis ?? are you just gonna abandon the story ??

Raze: There will, at some point, be a game to finish off the story arc of Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and Divinity2. I hope there is more done with the Dragon Knight concept, as well. The D2:ED story was concluded in the Flames of Vengeance add-on, included as part of the Dragon Knight Saga and Developers Cut releases.

Why did you open 2 new studios if you don't have enough money for this project ?

Raze: Part of the reason to open small satellite studios, other than to get access to talent pools in other locations, were tax incentives and lower wages.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Lower wages. LOWER WAGES. L0L

Talking like a typical big publisher. Then again, these are some of the guy who bragged that their KS was a AAA Killer yet are desperate to beg on KS AGAIN for a sequel. LMFAO

If DOS (which i enjoyed for what it was) was such a Diablo Killer they wouldn't need a fukkin' KS for a fukkin' sequel. They would be rollin' in the dough. :P Espicially since Larian has been a pretty big studio for awhile. This pretending that they ain't is pathetic.

Mustawd

Lower wages. LOWER WAGES. L0L

Talking like a typical big publisher.

Implying that only large companies want to save on wages :roll:. You must be some 15 year old kid whose only concept of how business works is what he reads on 4chan.

If DOS (which i enjoyed for what it was) was such a Diablo Killer they wouldn't need a fukkin' KS for a fukkin' sequel. They would be rollin' in the dough. :P Espicially since Larian has been a pretty big studio for awhile. This pretending that they ain't is pathetic.

So...do you realize you don't really have a clue? Or are you otherwise oblivious to it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Larian FANBOY detected.

I know how business works. I'm just laughing b/c companies like Larian pretend they are special and better than the huge companies like EA when they aren't. They aren't special in anyway.

I like their games but I hate lies or people who who act like they are heroes when they are not.

Now go cry over their Diablo Killer. :p Espicially now they claim to be working on a BG2 Killer. LMFAO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom