Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Athelas

Arcane
My first time through the game, I missed several of the quests; among them the Siamese Twins/Halfogre Island conspiracy. On my second play-through, the one I used to write this guide, I discovered that quest, and became quickly caught up in it. I really wanted to find and punish the wicked gnomes. I wanted to rescue or at least avenge the sexually abused human women, and I wanted to do something about the enslavement of the unfortunate halfogres. Unfortunately, the game gives you no option to do anything about any of these things ever. What you get to do is listen to a smug gnome give a very poor X-filesish summary of why you can't do anything about any of it, and then nothing. No option to outwit the gnomes, betray the gnomes, anything. Despite having the ear of two or three of the most powerful men on the gameworld, you don't have the option of mentioning it to any of them. The programmers just assume you're going to be satisfied with "Ha ha, can't do anything about it! Those wily gnomes. Wasn't that a funny plot about kidnapping, rape, and racial enslavement?"

The 'conclusion' to this plot came at a time that I was starting to get frustrated with the slow and tedious movement interface of Arcanum. When I killed the gnome conspirator and the game penalized me because his alignment was 'good,' that was really the final straw for me. Folks, it isn't good to engage in slavery, rape, breeding humans as farm animals, and political sabotage. It's not even funny. It's a pretty darn serious plot, deserving of a resolution. If you're going to allow room in the game for evil characters to kill innocent people, you're going to have to allow room in the game for good characters to care about pursuing things like this.

So I stopped playing. Not in protest or anything; it just wasn't worth slogging through the awful movement screens, tedious combats, and ugly graphics anymore.
Someone should show that to Tim Cain.

nikolokolus

Arcane
have never read jack vance, I started to and I recall really liking what I read but can't remember why I did not finish reading it. I know the D&D magic system is somehoow based on his writings, are there specific books that people prefer or that should be read in some order? Are they good?

The three Lyonesse stories, which are a sort of spin on Cornish legend, are pretty good. The Dying Earth novels: Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga in particular stand out. There's others, mostly in the Sci-fi genre, and some of them are really good, but I always gravitated to his more fantasy stuff. The Dying Earth stories don't have to be read in any particular order, but the Lyonesse trilogy is ordered as such: 1. Suldrun's Garden, 2. The Green Pearl, 3. Madouc.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yep, they should continue with Divinity series, making some expansion packs and sequel to Original Sin. Of course it would still be awesome for them to create more "serious" setting preferably some SciFi or Cyberpunk. Oh and I just ordered collector's edition, so I will be playing really soon.:)

Truth be told, one of the smartest things they could do is set the next game in a desert stretch of Rivellon and turn it into a Dark Sun spiritual successor. That way the can maintain the tone and spirit of the Divinity setting while introducing post-apocalyptic elements and preventing their catalogue from getting stale.

Someone should show that to Tim Cain.

Eh. That represented a high point in the storytelling for me. The amount of effort and detail that went into that quest and the anti-climax was reminiscent of 19th century sensational novels and helped reinforce the sheer scale of the world as well as the feeling of despondence and gloom pervading the setting and its inhabitants. Has all the signs of hand craftsmanship that stop Arcanum from coming across as an assembly line production like, uh, well any of the Dragon Ages, really.

I would compare it as the difference between John Carter and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Of course the quest had to end there, what he expected? The entire point of it is to be unsolveable.

He wants what, go to Bates, hear him say he can't do anything because the gnomes have X, so you go to gnomes, steal X and Bates help you stop them? Well, now you have a main quest of a RPG, and one that has a solution. You lost all the charm.

Drowed

Arcane
Of course the quest had to end there, what he expected? The entire point of it is to be unsolveable.

He wants what, go to Bates, hear him say he can't do anything because the gnomes have X, so you go to gnomes, steal X and Bates help you stop them? Well, now you have a main quest of a RPG, and one that has a solution. You lost all the charm.

Yeah, but some people just want to be a hero. I don't think some people can interpret a quest as a way of discussing/experiencing an issue/topic, most think that quests are tools to show how awesome their characters are. They're so badass, you know, that they can solve all problems - bring the right to where is wrong, justice to where there is evil, etc.

And if they can't do that, well, that's "bad design". Or so they think.

EDIT:
This kinda reminds me of the revolt caused by the quest in the Tenpenny Tower with the ghouls, perhaps the only quest with an interesting ending in Fallout 3. It was funny to see the revolt of the people who helped the ghouls to find their place there, as it was the "right" thing to do, only to later see that all humans were killed in the tower. "How dare they, how come my fair and loving idealized ending could not be reached"?

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I disappeared from the M&MX and Blackguards threads too when those were released since I had no intention of playing them, and taking further potshots would be a crazy waste of time. It's called moving on. :) Though I've enjoyed the times I've been called Rogueway, I'm not the kind of person who sticks around to slam something I have no interest in playing.

So you're only interested in slamming things you'll never play before they're released?

iTdS0Drvh3eIJ.gif

Lerk

Learned
Dragonlance...loved it as a teen, DM`d a long running campaign with AD&D 2E, so I could go for that.

I did make the mistake of starting to re-read the original trilogy recently. My God, I wish I hadn't, fucking laughably bad writing. Even Raistlin, who my younger, naive self thought was total badass.

Don't ruin the nostalgia for yourself like I did bros :negative:

Once I stumbled onto Moorcock, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance and Gene Wolf it's absolutely impossible to finish any of those terribad D&D licensed novels.

Funny to think there was a time when I considered R.A. Salvatore a competent writer.:hahano:

Eternal Champion :love: I still have the Chaosium Elric PnP rules somewhere, will have to dig them out. As for Salvatore, I know what you mean, but compared to Weiss & Hickman he's motherfucking Fritz Leiber.

Currently binging on the Witcher series (yes, thanks to the games) and they're pretty good. Even the fan translations of the second series of short stories read pretty well.

Hmmm. Has Lankhmar had a CRPG incarnation? Someone should get on that :bounce:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

:excellent:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've never seen a Lankhmar game, but I'd back it if Larian wanted to do their spin on it. City of Thieves is pretty much how I'm playing D:OS right now.

On second Thought, how about a Thieves World vidya game?

Cadmus

Arcane
Ah, so we're listing random neglected IPs Larian could rescue...

Magnum PI RPG

I want to be a Higgins

The interactivity of the engine would be better used in "MacGyver: The RPG"
upgrade your cars, create new weapons using paperclips, construct a hot air balloon out of 3 inches thick metal sheets, travel all over the world and solve quests

jdinatale

Cipher
I have a question for you guys. Given the wide-spread acclaim for D:OS, and considering your own personal enjoyment of the game, do you see yourself contributing even more to their next kickstarter, or about the same as you did last time?

I know I only contributed the bare minimum to get a copy of the game, but next time I think I will pledge $60 or more. I'm still a student so I really can't afford to go higher than that, but I'd like to throw every penny I can at Larian, they rock!

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also back as nr 1 on the top sellers list (before the shotgun overpriced DLC...) as much as I like to play PD2 in coop with friends, I find their DLC policy quite iritating...

Can't pledge more at the next kickstarter, the amount I pledged for D:OS is the same as the number of the
BEAST

:D

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have a question for you guys. Given the wide-spread acclaim for D:OS, and considering your own personal enjoyment of the game, do you see yourself contributing even more to their next kickstarter, or about the same as you did last time?
i only gave them 25 bucks through codex because dragon commander left me rather underwhelmed, but i'd be inclined to give way more if the next one is an rpg too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I pledged 65 mostly because it came with 2 games. But that collectors edition box looks rather cool, so might have to pledge for that next time(if there is a next time).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i only gave them 25 bucks through codex because dragon commander left me rather underwhelmed, but i'd be inclined to give way more if the next one is an rpg too.

Dragon Commander was released after the Kickstarter...

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Got myself a CE box for this. I will most likely stay at the same price level unless they make it worthwhile to go higher, as there weren't a lot of things I was interested in in the last campaign

Turjan

Arcane
have never read jack vance, I started to and I recall really liking what I read but can't remember why I did not finish reading it. I know the D&D magic system is somehoow based on his writings, are there specific books that people prefer or that should be read in some order? Are they good?
Read the "Lyonesse" Trilogy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyonesse_Trilogy
Or start where it all started, with the Dying Earth books. You can get them in one big sampler. This and Lyonesse are more fantasy, but his specialty was actually science fiction with a slight fantasy vibe. Jack Vance is excellent at setting up quirky societies. He's not good at writing characters though, and most of his protagonists stay weirdly one-dimensional, but that should not deter you. Oh, you definitely have to get used to his style. His vocabulary is quite extensive. I absolutely love his imagination.

Turjan

Arcane
I seriously hope they fail to get any license, a company that is doing so well by its own should know better than to get tangled with third parties
Yeah, I don't really get it either. Now isn't the time to branch out, its time to take what they've made here and make a "flawless" version of it. Then branch out.
Yep, they should continue with Divinity series, making some expansion packs and sequel to Original Sin. Of course it would still be awesome for them to create more "serious" setting preferably some SciFi or Cyberpunk. Oh and I just ordered collector's edition, so I will be playing really soon.:)
Word. I can only imagine that they poured so much of their brain juice into the current game that they are kind of burnt out and are looking for a change. It's not necessarily a good thing though. Ultima has been destroyed as a brand and Arcanum is nothing but Codex fan service, as much as I love that game. I hope they don't do anything they later regret.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom