Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

Jashiin

Arcane
Not to mention that Larian are bros that have been fighting the good fight since forever.

But I'm a bit worried that the KS is going up very slowly... I really wish they made tons of money from this.

Well they should have done some promotion. This came out of nowhere.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The Larian guys are bros. They deserve every cent and more. I got to see Original Sin in action during a showing of it for the press here in Poland and it was already fighting the decline. If there's any KS campaign that's worthy of being funded, it's this one :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This looks good, pledged.

Only thing that sucks is that you only control one PC (two in single-player). Party-based combat is the way to go. Kind of sad. The rest looks great.

Not to mention that Larian are bros that have been fighting the good fight since forever.

But I'm a bit worried that the KS is going up very slowly... I really wish they made tons of money from this.

This is a tricky concept. You can quickly end up spending too much on promotion for a Kickstarter and suddenly end up getting less out of the Kickstarter because you spent a bunch.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Backed it, looks like serious incline compared to their other games

ColCol

Arcane

Only thing that sucks is that you only control one PC (two in single-player). Party-based combat is the way to go. Kind of sad. The rest looks great.

This is a tricky concept. You can quickly end up spending too much on promotion for a Kickstarter and suddenly end up getting less out of the Kickstarter because you spent a bunch.

To my understanding it's four party members. Two story related ones, two hirelings. Can you not control the hirelings?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

To my understanding it's four party members. Two story related ones, two hirelings. Can you not control the hirelings?

I'll be damned pleased if I misunderstood. 4+ is the acceptable range for me :)

Jashiin

Arcane
This needs much more coverage before you can judge that. I'm sure Larian guys will be getting the word out to RPS and the likes as quickly as possible.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Torment was trending toward 35,000,000 during the first day, so that's not very indicative.
I do hope they make it. It's too early to tell what's going to happen atm.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't think they'll hit their target funding.

$648,551
TRENDING TOWARD

"Trending" is a pretty basic formula mainly counting "how fast is this gaining money on average." So Trending right now shows how much on average it has made since it launched, per hour, and just adds that up for every hour of all 29 remaining days. Which means it will have to keep up that pace to reach 648000, which is unlikely.

To me it looks like this will make it barely, if it makes it. Fingers crossed.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is definitely the best (as in, the most substantial) pitch I have ever seen on Kickstarter. If this doesn't get enough press coverage and doesn't make it, then there is no justice in the world. It's one thing that Thorvalla and Shaker failed - and everyone was saying that was because of the weak pitch (which was indeed extremely awful in both cases) - but if this fails then I just dunno...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Pledged but it's unlikely they will hit it. The rewards suck and the pitch doesn't sell.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If this doesn't get enough press coverage and doesn't make it, then there is no justice in the world.

I agree. The notion that there is a correlation between the quality of the pitch and the amount raised (relative to how famous the Kickstarter was before it launched, obviously) falls completely apart if this doesn't make at least the 400k. It's tightly produced, full of details without becoming brain-dead informative, and as Vault Dweller would say, it both informs me on the game and sells me on "why are we making this" with pathos. It could have a bit more of the latter, but it is still quite excellent. I'd still say Fargo's Kickstarters were better simply because the man understands how they make us feel like the small guys fightin' the big tyrants, but overall this Kickstarter was very well constructed.

EDIT: Lol :lol:

Well, I disagree VD. It could have more pathos, yes, but seriously, they show of a great game without just firing information at us. They're not Fargo, but who is?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Informing and selling are two different things. Ideally, both would be present in a pitch, as a purely informative pitch would have a very hard time getting a campaign off the ground.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RPG, the one genre I have never cared for co-op of any kind.

I also want to know more about the editor. NWN still has the best editor to date, simply because it's so mongoloidishly easy to use. Even the scripts had a (community made) script editor so you didn't even have to script, just copy-paste stuff into the toolset. No knowledge at all required to create a complete module. As soon as there's any sort of learning involved, you might as well go learn Unity or something.

I think I'll sit this one out, at least for now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Grunker: Explaining why they are doing it isn't selling. Selling is instantly convincing most readers that they must back it up NOW!

Edit: Coincidentally, this is why I dislike KS. Simply showing a game to people and explaining its features in great details simply isn't enough. You have to bring bells and whistles to amuse the retards and keep their fleeting attention on the page.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker: Explaining why they are doing it isn't selling. Selling is instantly convincing most readers that they must back it up NOW!

I know you don't believe me 'cause we had this conversation before, but it's the lack of native english skills again. The added line "with pathos" is me trying to say 'selling in the way Fargo does.'

Again, I think they do. Many Kickstarters have reached 400.000k selling the game less than Larian do here.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Their kickstarter campaign doesn's look that well organised,like Fargo's for example but I hope they reach their goal,I am in for $25 anyway

Also buckets as helmets?
Sven you sly dog
:hearnoevil:
dmlmmrn.gif
:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom