Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #74: Enhanced Edition - Before & After

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

With the Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition just six days away from release, Larian have published a dual Kickstarter update for both Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2 to remind people about it. In the accompanying video, a breathless Swen Vincke offers us a run-down of all of the Enhanced Edition's improvements. And I do mean all of them. Check it out:

Also included in the update is a shoutout to the recently released Age of Decadence. Woot!

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  2. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    [​IMG]
    My body is ready.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Can't wait!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Swen Vincke is cool.

Would have liked to see the before/after footage with the PC (no controller) interface tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wonderful. His excitement is contagious.

Can't wait to go thru it~!

^ Top  
  6. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I hope the console ports tank so hard Vincke will never touch a controller again.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  7. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Many of those menu screens look really console like. I hope this doesn't result in yet another game where console interface dictates the design direction, though watching the videos I don't see how it could not. /sigh

^ Top  
  8. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Can somebody identify which tool is this the guy is using @ ~1:30

[​IMG]

Looks like Visual Studio...but not really?

Would you consider that it's a controller-friendly GUI perhaps because he is using a controller.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    It's not impossible, since WL2: DC seems to have created zero buzz in the console world. I think OS is inherently more appealing to console audiences though, and Larian are also doing a much better marketing job than inXile.

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    On the other hand, Larian also invested a lot more money in their Enhanced Edition than inXile.

^ Top  
  11. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    On the other other hand, they're using the EE as a basis for developing the sequel, which inXile don't seem to be doing just yet.

^ Top  
  12. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Are you saying that the interface changes completely based on the inputs? I mean, if that is the case, great, but... in games of the past, the console interface tends to set the tone and pace of the PC interface.

Looking at the console version they are using, if the menus in the PC version are anything like the that demo, then console design is dictating functionality and that is my concern. If not, no worries.

^ Top  
  13. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    It does.

^ Top  
  14. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Yes. This has been known since the start.

^ Top  
  15. Ovplain Arcane Patron

Ovplain
    RPG Wokedex
    Pumped for this!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Ok, I was not clear on that. I knew they were doing a PC version and a Console version, but I was unaware they were going to specifically keep the interfaces segregated. Some companies in the past have made such claims and yet the final result was just the console version with some adjustment to use a mouse with it. I am not saying Larian would be that slimy, but these days... I tend to be very skeptical. WL2 has obvious console design indicators in the PC version.

^ Top  
  17. krist2 Augur Patron

krist2
    Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Great, been holding out on playing further on the original edition, so really looking forward to the enhanced version.
    And the shout out to AOD was also cool :D

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    lol where? I think some stuff like smart skill menu not showing critical failure chance and similar things is just plain bad design regardless.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Xenich Cipher

Xenich

Move the camera to an area to have the party move to, click it and the camera snaps back to the party leader to follow it to that point (this is not a common PC feature). With a keyboard input, there is no need, you simply assign a center camera hot key or button on the interface and the player can quickly click that to return to center as need. With a controller, you have limited keys and so some actions need to be streamlined to save space for relevant needed commands. It is an obvious implementation that is trying to consider the lack of control that a controller has concerning screen precision compared to a mouse/keyboard.

^ Top  
  20. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    There's an option to enable/disable free camera

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Well shit, I looked and must have missed it. That solves that.

^ Top  
  22. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Yes and due to the good sales of DOS they had a few millions more for a EE, than inXile.

^ Top  
  23. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone

Can be also anything that can be customised. In the past i loved the vanilla Eclipse look or the XCode look, but nowadays i prefer colored text or light gray on dark gray or dark blue background, because it is more eye friendly for me. Perhaps this guy thinks this also.
    I thought that they have developed in Visual Studio their own engine, so this could be their own thing.

^ Top  
  24. ROARRR Learned Possibly Retarded

ROARRR
    Considering that they made the enhanced edition mainly for XBoxONE than Microsoft Visual studio makes sense. If that is true than it is even possible that they planed this while on D:OS very first kickstarter. (Smart Management)

^ Top  
  25. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    Can't come soon enough.

The only negative thing i got to say (watching the vid again) is that they could have dedicated a few more seconds into the 'before and after' comparisons; And most of all, in a much closer angle. Way they filmed it, they did not earn themselves any points on that.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.