Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #74: Enhanced Edition - Before & After

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Divinity: Original Sin doesn't play like Ultima at all, it's a combat-heavy game with shit exploration, its environmental interaction and crafting are there to improve combat and not for world-building purposes, its combat is over the top and extremely gamey (cooldowns, skills and spells never try to be plausible and never requiere reagents or rituals), and forget about resource management.

D:OS is a great game, but is not a proper Ultima successor.

GloomFrost

Arcane
shas none of the things specific to Diablo-clon
There is not much they have in common, if anything.

AHAHAHA you made me laugh. Have you actually played and diablo clones recently? What about tons of random, colored loot which is restricted by players level, DOS DOES NOT have lots of dialogues, just walls of text to which you can reply yes or no, good Diablo clones DO have exploration,puzzles and secrets. And there is town gameplay only in the first location, after that its just buy/repair/heal in town and off you go to kill monsters outside of town, EXACTLY like a Diablo clone.

Arkeus

Arcane
AHAHAHA you made me laugh. Have you actually played and diablo clones recently? What about tons of random, colored loot which is restricted by players level
Yes, I agree with the loot... which is actually not Diablo-clone and has been in a lot of RPG since forever (see: Might and Magic, etc).
DOS DOES NOT have lots of dialogues, just walls of text to which you can reply yes or no
It really, really has a lot of dialog, and a lot of options, both in dialogs and out of it (E.G, killing people give other results in quest).
good Diablo clones DO have exploration,puzzles and secrets.
OK, I'll need a quote on this, as I have never seen a Diablo clone with any of those.
And there is town gameplay only in the first location, after that its just buy/repair/heal in town and off you go to kill monsters outside of town, EXACTLY like a Diablo clone.
Huh... no. There are a lot of town gameplay in all the zones.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
If I recall correctly, they were Heroine's Quest, which I didn't play much (but I played Quest for Infamy and it's great), and some japanese shit, who probably got the vote from the jRPG scum. So not much for cRPGs.

I already mentioned Shadow Run above.

Maybe I'm forgetting Black Guards? Or was that game 2013? As with Shadowrun, I have it installed but didn't play much (I heard bad things about emo faggotry in plot), I want to check it in the future, after the good old games.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fair enough. I guess I just dislike the way you push the "adventure-RPG" angle too much, since it's just as (or maybe even more) misleading.
Yeah I can understand it's misleading if you're just reading down the thread in general.

Then again I stopped caring about genre (10 years on the Codex does that to ya). I'm fine talking about action games (Platinum Games...) and MMORPGs in the JRPG forum lol. (Also JRPGs are basically Wizardry offshoots so.. heh)

And there is town gameplay only in the first location, after that its just buy/repair/heal in town and off you go to kill monsters outside of town, EXACTLY like a Diablo clone.
A lot of the encounters outside of the towns in Luculla Forest can be done without combat.

Hunter's Edge can be done with like just one combat encounter (and yes, you can enter Hunter's Edge via dialogue skill, combat, OR having a certain item), and culminates in dealing with a wizard's house full of traps with 0 combat encounters. IIRC in the side quests I only had to resort to combat once (besides when a guard caught me sneaking around where I wasn't supposed to).

Hiberheim has a bunch of combat encounters, but on the other hand it is where the Wishing Well sidequest is, there are at least 2 noncombat ways to get to the castle and/or prison, you can basically talk yourself out of most of the combat encounters.

It's just that there's a lot more gameplay content in the first location. And it's NOT just town gameplay, there's a lot of non-combat gameplay around Cyseal as well.

D:OS is a great game, but is not a proper Ultima successor.
I'm not sure how or when "is inspired by" turned into "is a successor to."

over the top
Larian games are over-the-top? You don't say.

shit exploration
Please list the hidden items/caves/rooms you've found.

its environmental interaction
By environmental interaction I don't mean anything about the terrain/environment effect system.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sonofabitch the EE doesn't have UI scaling. Can't read shit with their fucking bacterial font.
FUUUUUU....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom