Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
After derping for hours in the city,..?
I am pretty sure you can skip most of the stuff in the city. All you need to do is get access to the academy.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I'm absolutely not thinking that the city part was bad or too long. The change of scenery was welcomed, though.

The Broken Valley and FoV was good. IIRC, Larian had planned a strategy part to defeat Damian's armadas with help form allies (Aleroth, dwarves, elves... maybe more?). But, the respective areas (including a significant portion of Aleroth exterior) were cut, along with the strategy part, due to Publisher Pressure. Maybe that is why the flying fortresses feel somewhat off to many, in an otherwise great game (even though it was Hack 'n Slash). Also, in the Developer's Cut video, it was mentioned how many compromises they had to make due to XBOX requirements, which in turn was due to Publisher Pressure.

I for one, am ecstatic that they were funded independently with the help of a successful Kickstarter (well not PE WL@ or TToN scale, but still impressive). Which means no Publisher Pressure, garuanteeing a superbly awesome cRPG from a studio whose founder is a fan of Ultima VII.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Okay bringing this back up again. ForkTong are there any mechanics similar to D&D's "5-foot-step" that allow you to move in and out of attack of opportunity zones? Or can you describe the skills/talents that were mentioned in a video, that affect AoOs? Do different weapons have different AoO ranges based on weapon reach?

To clarify, what we know so far is that:

1. Move into melee range -> You get hit with an AoO.
2. Move out of melee range -> You get hit with an AoO.

Is that correct? I admit I am not checking with any videos right now.

Stabbey

Learned
2 is correct, I think that 1 may be a little buggy. I saw one of the videos where a guy who moved into melee range and was attacked by an Orc who was already flanked by a soldier. Okay if the Orc wants to do an Attack of Opportunity on me if I move close, go ahead, but if he's allowed to do that, then the soldier who is flanking him should do an AoO on the Orc. That's the point of being flanked.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay bringing this back up again. ForkTong are there any mechanics similar to D&D's "5-foot-step" that allow you to move in and out of attack of opportunity zones? Or can you describe the skills/talents that were mentioned in a video, that affect AoOs? Do different weapons have different AoO ranges based on weapon reach?
One of the planned traits is "slippery eel" or some such which is supposed to protect you from AoOs (although not every time).
Swen or ForkTong also mentioned that there is going to be a "retreat" maneuver which allows You to move out of AoO zone without getting hit (a 5-foot step equivalent).
ForkTong (if I recall correctly) also said in one of the previews that there will be spears "later" (I'm not sure if he meant implemented later in development, or available later in the game, hopefully the first) in the game, which will have superior range, so yeah.

To clarify, what we know so far is that:

1. Move into melee range -> You get hit with an AoO.
2. Move out of melee range -> You get hit with an AoO.

Is that correct? I admit I am not checking with any videos right now.
Actually, 1. is incorrect. Exactly as in D&D, You only get hit by an AoO when You move out threat range, or if You move from one threatened spot to another threatened spot.

Arkeus

Arcane
ForkTong (if I recall correctly) also said in one of the previews that there will be spears "later" (I'm not sure if he meant implemented later in development, or available later in the game, hopefully the first) in the game, which will have superior range, so yeah.
Later in the game, as he said it was already possible to add a knife to a stick and then have a sucky 'spear' when he was talking about how you could craft types of armor/weapons you wouldn't have until later on in the game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Later in the game, as he said it was already possible to add a knife to a stick and then have a sucky 'spear' when he was talking about how you could craft types of armor/weapons you wouldn't have until later on in the game.
I hope they reconsider then, as it would be pretty theme-breaking if spears, one of the earliest weapon known to man, would not be widely available everywhere.

Item system, as I understand it from the previews, is the main (only?) issue I have with this game. I hate the hack'n'slash loot threadmill where a late-game sword deals 10 or even 100 times more damage than a beginner sword. Also it does not fit a turn-based game (in before JRPGs).

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
There will be a talent or skill in game that gives you more chance to evade an attack of opp. I think attack of opp should only trigger when you are moving away from an enemy. Unless we have something like "ready against attack/approach".

Different melee weapons have different weapon ranges, so that also goes for AoO.

The spear example was just that: an example.

About the hns loot: this is a discussion we are still having. I also don't like the fact that most of the dmg you deal for instance comes from item instead of char. I would much rather have a lot of different weapons in the game that have a lot of different properties (advantages and drawbacks etc) but give a weight to the dmg you do where dmg relies on your char. I think that makes more sense in TB and makes a game like this easier to balance imo. Come to think of it, I think it might even make our job easier, and it would save us time...

Stabbey

Learned
Damage based more on your character and less on your weapon is the reason why Unarmed was actually an effective skill to use in Divinity 2. I discovered in my Unarmed run that just increasing your level upped your damage.

A level 35 unarmed warrior with 1 Strength would do 55-68 damage. Strength was actually less of a factor than your level, because if you upped Strength to 100, that level 35 unarmed warrior would only do an additional 28-34 damage (for a total of 83-102).

I agree that it's a good idea to make your damage less dependent on your weapon.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
ForkTong

A small thing I'm interested in, is what are you planning to do with unused actionpoints after a combat turn? Have them count towards evasive features (making sparing some a tactical - small, yes, but still - choice - like how spared AP's counted towards AC in Fallout), just leave them as wasted resources, or something else?

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
There are gonna be typical skills that will allow you to use 1 or 2 unused APs at the end of a turn like stances. Swen did have another idea for that, but we still have to have our big traits&talents meetings that will probably shed a light on all that :)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some item randomization here and there won't hurt, but I'd prefer to have the focus on set items.

There will be a talent or skill in game that gives you more chance to evade an attack of opp. I think attack of opp should only trigger when you are moving away from an enemy. Unless we have something like "ready against attack/approach".

Different melee weapons have different weapon ranges, so that also goes for AoO.

The spear example was just that: an example.

About the hns loot: this is a discussion we are still having. I also don't like the fact that most of the dmg you deal for instance comes from item instead of char. I would much rather have a lot of different weapons in the game that have a lot of different properties (advantages and drawbacks etc) but give a weight to the dmg you do where dmg relies on your char. I think that makes more sense in TB and makes a game like this easier to balance imo. Come to think of it, I think it might even make our job easier, and it would save us time...

If that is true, it will be sweet if unarmed builds are viable. (tradeoff, less range/damage/AP cost; more criticals/counter/evade). Source magic, but no weapons heh.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Those behind the scene videos are great, I love seeing the decision-making process behind these games. I hope Larian ends up doing a full documentary on the coming games as well.

For example, a wizard/caster who (for whatever lore reason) cannot wear heavy armor or carry a massive shield. He/she through arcane ways applied a "blocking" effect to his shoes.
We're talking high fantasy here, not real life.
And we are talking about making sense and avoiding being completely nonsensical.

Hey, you could do great things with a 'shoes of blocking'. I'm envisaging a description that says 'these boots are magically enchanted to block external force, though you don't quite understand how'. They then proceed to give no defence or AC bonuses, but there's one dungeon where you encounter a small step on which everyone else in the party takes 1hp damage for stubbing their toe, except for the guy with the boots of blocking:)

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Those behind the scene videos are great, I love seeing the decision-making process behind these games. I hope Larian ends up doing a full documentary on the coming games as well.

I saw the Making Of (in the D2: Director's Cut). It was fun. Even some design documents were funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom