Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
They know. They've a list. :P

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The game design position would be pretty awesome. I meet almost none of the requirements though. Given the company's culture and their design philosophy, I think there's very few places that would be as great to work at as there (Aside from the overdrive hell they must go through when coming close to release)

Someone at the Codex who marginally meets the requirements should apply. Our joyous seed should spread far and wide, infecting all decent developers.

Angthoron

Arcane
The game design position would be pretty awesome. I meet almost none of the requirements though. Given the company's culture and their design philosophy, I think there's very few places that would be as great to work at as there (Aside from the overdrive hell they must go through when coming close to release)

Someone at the Codex who marginally meets the requirements should apply. Our joyous seed should spread far and wide, infecting all decent developers.
I'm applying for the writer position. Though it's more of a test application, as I'll be unavailable for the next 7 months or so.

Edit: Although, given a bit of familiarity with the toolsets, I could fit the design team too I suppose.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A writer for Larian? Talk about a dream job. Do You have to live/move to Belgium? (can't check myself, site is blocked)

Overboard

Arcane
Weren't Kitiara and Sturm married at one point?

No, she tastefully raped him and the coupling produced a son called Storm (I think, going off memory here, he might have been a knight of Takhisis or whatever they're called).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thread died when word about job openings at Larian appeared. I guess everyone even remotely interested in D:OS is in Gent right now, busy doing job interviews?

EDIT:
BTW, ForkTong, is it possible to assign an NPC to more than one faction in D:OS?

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Mico: I don't think so, cause they'd have to commit suicide if one of their factions turns on the other.

Son of Kit and Sturm was called Steel btw. Why do I know these things :(

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mico: I don't think so, cause they'd have to commit suicide if one of their factions turns on the other.

Not if there's Faction Priority. For example, double agents. They're considered as being in Faction A and B. If it so happens that Faction B goes to war against Faction A, the scripts check "which faction does the NPC prefer more?" and ta dam! Magic.

This could work as a buying out. A camp full of enemy soldiers? Let's sneak in and with cunning, diplomacy, blackmail and other stuff change their minds - make the other Faction a bigger priority, so when something does happen, they'll be on the right side.

Zeriel

Arcane

Not if there's Faction Priority. For example, double agents. They're considered as being in Faction A and B. If it so happens that Faction B goes to war against Faction A, the scripts check "which faction does the NPC prefer more?" and ta dam! Magic.

This could work as a buying out. A camp full of enemy soldiers? Let's sneak in and with cunning, diplomacy, blackmail and other stuff change their minds - make the other Faction a bigger priority, so when something does happen, they'll be on the right side.

"Factions" in an editor/scripting sense are typically means-based. By which I mean they have utterly no relation to the story, you simply set them as a faction (of which there can be thousands) to cause the behavior you want. If you want to have a traitor in a story sense, there's nothing stopping you from changing the faction of the traitor to the opposite faction on the fly.

Jestai

Augur
Patron

TERRIBLY STUPID IDEA. WHY? IN BEFORE:

"
5830.jpg
: The Elder Spy approves of this - multi-layered tactics are his line of work ;)
Btw I just donated an extra $1,500 - the Watch must prevail ! What will you answer, Codex? More money for Larian anyway :)"

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
"Factions" in an editor/scripting sense are typically means-based. By which I mean they have utterly no relation to the story, you simply set them as a faction (of which there can be thousands) to cause the behavior you want. If you want to have a traitor in a story sense, there's nothing stopping you from changing the faction of the traitor to the opposite faction on the fly.

Wot he said.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron

Correct, but for me it makes less work. Why? Take for example a faction wipe out. In D:OS you can kill anybody, and I mean anybody. Let's say we kill the leaders and other important people from Faction A. What happens to the other ppl in that faction? Are they still part of that faction, when it clearly doesn't work? What if they join the next on their priority list? From Faction A to Bandits.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Implementing generalized systems that affect narrative on a narrative game is a sisyphean task - the rocks of QA will just roll back down every morning.

don't hold your breath for something like that

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Son of Kit and Sturm was called Steel btw. Why do I know these things :(
As an RPG messiah, you should know these.

I just had a look at my book case and was reminded of having read "Dragons Of Summer Flame" in which the kiddies of the "Heroes" (including Steel) have some squabbles. (Don't care what anyone else thinks, I liked it.) So that settles that.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Correct, but for me it makes less work. Why? Take for example a faction wipe out. In D:OS you can kill anybody, and I mean anybody. Let's say we kill the leaders and other important people from Faction A. What happens to the other ppl in that faction? Are they still part of that faction, when it clearly doesn't work? What if they join the next on their priority list? From Faction A to Bandits.

I need to check, but I do believe we had a discussion with design about this. If I remember correctly, a cat was of faction CAT and of faction ANIMAL, and it messed shit up. I'm sure that, if you have time and your game needs it, you could script all kinds of stuff around this, but in this case, we chose the safe way out. If you're really interested, I can check with design lead if there's any NPCs left that have more than one faction :)

Arkeus

Arcane
Faction sheep and faction WERESHEEP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom