Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
That's nice. Thanks :)

Stabbey

Learned
I definitely like the idea a lot about investigating a murder, that sounds like fun.

What about companion AI? How much can you fine tune the personality of the companions?

Yes. I'll understand if this isn't in the alpha, but I definitely want the release version to have the option of choosing different personalities that'll make decisions on their own.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I definitely like the idea a lot about investigating a murder, that sounds like fun.

What about companion AI? How much can you fine tune the personality of the companions?

Yes. I'll understand if this isn't in the alpha, but I definitely want the release version to have the option of choosing different personalities that'll make decisions on their own.
My question is how varied will their decisions be? For example, a compassionate AI might always opt to help and forgive, but you could mix that with a slightly pragmatic aspect that agrees on extreme collar-grabbing decisions every now and then.
What I'd like to know is if it will be very easy to 'game' your companion and guess how they will react, in order to plan ahead and optimize your traits against their traits.
Also, will there be an option for the AI of the companion to make utterly random, completely schizophrenic decisions which make it impossible to guess how they'll decide on stuff?

My question is how varied will their decisions be? For example, a compassionate AI might always opt to help and forgive, but you could mix that with a slightly pragmatic aspect that agrees on extreme collar-grabbing decisions every now and then.
What I'd like to know is if it will be very easy to 'game' your companion and guess how they will react, in order to plan ahead and optimize your traits against their traits.
Also, will there be an option for the AI of the companion to make utterly random, completely schizophrenic decisions which make it impossible to guess how they'll decide on stuff?
Valid points bro, or you could control the companion and LARP it anyway.

Stabbey

Learned

Yes, if there was no AI personality, you could manually control your companion and play out both sides of all the choices, but I want the AI companion to give the illusion of a personality, and I want the unpredictable and emergent gameplay that could result from losing an argument and having to go along with the consequences. That would not be the same if you were controlling both sides and deciding by rolling a d4.

Visperas

Augur

Yes, if there was no AI personality, you could manually control your companion and play out both sides of all the choices, but I want the AI companion to give the illusion of a personality, and I want the unpredictable and emergent gameplay that could result from losing an argument and having to go along with the consequences. That would not be the same if you were controlling both sides and deciding by rolling a d4.

Yep. Controlling both sides of a conversation, as in the last sven video, is weird but Larian said that you could assign an AI to the main companion for those conversations, right?

Arkeus

Arcane
Yep. Controlling both sides of a conversation, as in the last sven video, is weird but Larian said that you could assign an AI to the main companion for those conversations, right?
Yeah. Apparently the 'controlling both sides' is only if you wish to control everything, you can assign your partner 'personalities'.

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
I don't know if there is a schizophrenic personality, but you can set the AI to random.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Played the alpha in co-op for 6 hours straight. So much... fun. This could turn into something very very special.

Angthoron

Arcane
And it was setup by Angthoron originally, wasn't it?

Naw, it was set up by the staff, but I did end up running/managing it. Looking forward to our alpha keys and the spam I'll be sending to you guys! Spam, delicious spam.

Man, what a way to celebrate my departure from the armed forces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom