Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

LeJosh

Savant
Played the alpha in co-op for 6 hours straight. So much... fun. This could turn into something very very special.

re-quoting because I can't edit my earlier post.

Anyway - did you try both SP and Co-op - if so, how were the differences?

Does it create a more interesting storyline for yourselves? Due to not being able to control every aspect such as personality traits/reactions etc.

I can't remember if Gragt tried both and fuck reading all that again.

Zeriel

Arcane
I am looking forward to this so much I don't even want to touch the alpha, because alphas tend to make the final game less "oh my gawd, this thing, look at this thing, oh my goddddd!".

Played the alpha in co-op for 6 hours straight. So much... fun. This could turn into something very very special.

re-quoting because I can't edit my earlier post.

Anyway - did you try both SP and Co-op - if so, how were the differences?

Does it create a more interesting storyline for yourselves? Due to not being able to control every aspect such as personality traits/reactions etc.

I can't remember if Gragt tried both and fuck reading all that again.

I'm almost certain playing solo is going to be more "interesting" as far as storyline goes. Even with friends who want to follow the plot, playing multiplayer always distracts you in a way from anything but having fun with your friends.

This game is gonna merit two playthroughs: with friends for trolling each other, and alone to appreciate the actual content.

Angthoron

Arcane
Fuhk, I should've spent more moneys on the non-Dex KS as well, so I'd not need to wait ForkTong's email now.

Arkeus

Arcane
Newsflash: Weresheep & Codex report, are we ready?

Everybody thinks the decision is already made, but that's not really true. The decision whether or not to release the Alpha next week tuesday December 17th will be made later today, live on www.twitch.tv.com/larianstudios and you'll be able to participate in it.

We decided that press, fans & producers need to be in agreement before we'll release it.

Press already had their say, so yesterday we asked a number of fans, in a long play-session which lasted 11 hours.

Here is their decision:

It's worth noting that they didn't finish half of the content that's in the alpha so we think we might want to re-adjust how long it'll take you to finish the alpha content. It's probably going to be more like 20 hours or so. Our apologies.

We also had one emissary from the Codex - he refused to go on camera, for very good reasons given the competitive environment he dwells in - but he had this to say:

"Played the alpha in co-op for 6 hours straight. So much... fun. This could turn into something very very special., "

So now we're waiting to see what David & Swen will say when reviewing Divinity: Original Sin's latest build. As mentioned, you can follow this on our twitch.tv channel and they will also be taking questions. Thomas guaranteed us that the sound problems will be fixed :)

At the end of their play session they'll give a go or no go. It is still possible that the release is postponed if something goes very wrong - don't kill us for it .

See you then!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Just release the fucking thing, Tuesday releases are Sony<>Microsoft bullshit.

Give us the weekend to mess around with it.

Zep--

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
and people were expecting alpha soon.

r00fles!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In some ways this alpha looks more polished than Wasteland 2's beta, but I guess it is much longer in development, and inXile's 'early beta' is probably actually alpha.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
In some ways this alpha looks more polished than Wasteland 2's beta, but I guess it is much longer in development, and inXile's 'early beta' is probably actually alpha.
Larian are more experienced and are probably a little more considerate with what they give to the public.
D:OS also has way better (and consistent) presentation/UI/visuals, obviously giving it a much more finished look.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I don't think anybody at Larian has more experience than Brian Fargo.

EDIT:
BTW, I think the plot of the game has changed significantly between KS campaign time and now. My worries about writing just got fueled, it clearly is not high on their list of priorities.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't think anybody at Larian has more experience than Brian Fargo.
One person doesn't make a company. I'm talking about programming and art.
Besides, Fargo's role wasn't exactly hands-on for most games.
Vincke has a lot more recent (and meaningful) experience.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
We also had one emissary from the Codex - he refused to go on camera, for very good reasons given the competitive environment he dwells in - but he had this to say:

"Played the alpha in co-op for 6 hours straight. So much... fun. This could turn into something very very special., "
Volrath pussied out, thinking this will somehow make him look better on The Codex than appearing? Bad judgment!
Eh. Just a bit camera shy to be fair. I'll post my impressions after the weekend, to busy getting drunk right now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Some stuff from the stream:

- ForkTong was making bread in-game. Seems like there are a lot of item combos.
- Schedules are proving problematic in implementation and are disabled for the time being, but Swen promises them to be in the game eventually.
- Some guy grabbed a $10,000 tier through PayPal, but it was too late for them to put everything in that tier into the game, so they refunded him.
- Homestead at the end of time will be available in the alpha, but only partially.
- No editor in the alpha.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
- hack&slash item system is in, I think, with basic weapons doing way less damage than higher level ones
- loot is a mix of hand-placed and random
- people getting two copies will get two alpha keys when the multiplayer is patched in (the initial build is SP only)

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Also said before that Alpha might even last 20 hours for some people, and that it's just 1/8 or 1/9 of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom