Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Multi-headed Cow

Well son of a bitch. My glorious bro-op buddy got slapped with a jaywalking ticket (Yeah. Jaywalking. I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA HOW) and may not be able to scrabble together the money for DOS. I'll keep my pledge on since it looks good even without the co-op, but that's a bummer.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well son of a bitch. My glorious bro-op buddy got slapped with a jaywalking ticket (Yeah. Jaywalking. I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA HOW) and may not be able to scrabble together the money for DOS. I'll keep my pledge on since it looks good even without the co-op, but that's a bummer.
Get the double pack for $40.

Arkeus

Arcane
Just up your pledge to 65 and have him reimburse you later on.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The only thing that sounds questionable to me is the big emphasis they put on the multiplayer thing, but that's more of a worry that it will taint the single player game.

They push the multiplayer a lot because it's not something that is done often in CRPG and even less done well. It's more prevalent in the ARPG genre but when was the last time you played a multiplayer CRPG with turn-based combat? The same thing goes with the editor; aside from NWN2 I don't think there has been anything similar lately, allowing you to do either single or multiplayer. And that's the beauty of D:OS: it gives you the choice to either play or create content for one or more player, and again done in a way that I can't remember seeing lately. You know what I love about this? They are taking risks! It may fail but it's refreshing when so many other developers play it safe.
Swen seems like one of the coolest and most genuine guys in the industry and it really sounds like he has his heart in the right place here. Too bad that means a ton of pressure to put out a great game. :smug: I mean, this is their first game with no publisher fuckery (although they do have private investors) and Swen is very open with his disappointments and failures in previous games. The disappointment in his voice is palpable when he talks about the cuts and changes he had to make to previous games to satisfy their publishers. Original Sin sounds like a game by bros for bros, like Chaos Chronicles, and I love that shit.

Swen is indeed a very nice guy and, at least during my time with him, I got no corporate marketting bullshit from him. He was very open about Larian and their games and where they succeeded and where they failed. Not that I have a lot of experience discussing with developers but I've read a lot of interviews where people would just speak bullshit with no real exemples. I spent around 3 hours playing D:OS with him in co-op and we simply talked of the various elements of the game, with stuff that was already there and stuff that had yet to be done. And we talked of a few old games, mostly Ultima 7 of course since it probably is his favourite game and he wants to do something similar.

Fun thing is that when I saw Dragon Commander with Farhang, we also talked a lot of old games and how some cool concepts have simply been dropped despite their potential, and so they tried to pick them up and expand on them because there is simply a lot of cool stuff to do with it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Arkeus

Arcane

Creator Larian Studios LLC 5 minutes ago

Tbh - I really think someone should do U7 with the editor but taking advantage of the cooperative dialogs and multiplayer - together with decent combat, that'd be really cool. Obviously EA will never give a go for this (I tried, but it was up to Bioware to decide and they never got back to me)
:rage:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
@Larian,
So a "Total Conversion" of U7 (not by larian) you think would be possible in the D:OS editor? :)
So..maybe LARIAN can't do it..but do you think it can be done? ;)
Zep--

@Zep zepo: Yes - I hope someone does
:)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Kickstarter is going pretty slow today, for unknown reasons. Too much incline for the general public to handle? I'm going to be so mad if this doesn't get to 800K.
Mid-campaign lull, everything's normal.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The only thing that sounds questionable to me is the big emphasis they put on the multiplayer thing, but that's more of a worry that it will taint the single player game.

They push the multiplayer a lot because it's not something that is done often in CRPG and even less done well. It's more prevalent in the ARPG genre but when was the last time you played a multiplayer CRPG with turn-based combat? The same thing goes with the editor; aside from NWN2 I don't think there has been anything similar lately, allowing you to do either single or multiplayer. And that's the beauty of D:OS: it gives you the choice to either play or create content for one or more player, and again done in a way that I can't remember seeing lately. You know what I love about this? They are taking risks! It may fail but it's refreshing when so many other developers play it safe.
Swen seems like one of the coolest and most genuine guys in the industry and it really sounds like he has his heart in the right place here. Too bad that means a ton of pressure to put out a great game. :smug: I mean, this is their first game with no publisher fuckery (although they do have private investors) and Swen is very open with his disappointments and failures in previous games. The disappointment in his voice is palpable when he talks about the cuts and changes he had to make to previous games to satisfy their publishers. Original Sin sounds like a game by bros for bros, like Chaos Chronicles, and I love that shit.

Swen is indeed a very nice guy and, at least during my time with him, I got no corporate marketting bullshit from him. He was very open about Larian and their games and where they succeeded and where they failed. Not that I have a lot of experience discussing with developers but I've read a lot of interviews where people would just speak bullshit with no real exemples. I spent around 3 hours playing D:OS with him in co-op and we simply talked of the various elements of the game, with stuff that was already there and stuff that had yet to be done. And we talked of a few old games, mostly Ultima 7 of course since it probably is his favourite game and he wants to do something similar.

Fun thing is that when I saw Dragon Commander with Farhang, we also talked a lot of old games and how some cool concepts have simply been dropped despite their potential, and so they tried to pick them up and expand on them because there is simply a lot of cool stuff to do with it.

Larian seems to be trying to innovate like companies did back in the 80's & 90's, back when that word wasn't just bullshit market speak.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I thought they did have GUMPS? (knapsack inventory).

I thought I saw that in a video somewhere.

Zep--

DeepOcean

Arcane
I spent around 3 hours playing D:OS with him in co-op and we simply talked of the various elements of the game, with stuff that was already there and stuff that had yet to be done. And we talked of a few old games, mostly Ultima 7 of course since it probably is his favourite game and he wants to do something similar.

Damn it! Gragt! You know what you did? I'm just envying you now, man!
:x
:lol:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I spent around 3 hours playing D:OS with him in co-op and we simply talked of the various elements of the game, with stuff that was already there and stuff that had yet to be done. And we talked of a few old games, mostly Ultima 7 of course since it probably is his favourite game and he wants to do something similar.

I Don't think U7 used weight on the Inventory? I read something on the Larian Official forums asking if they should add weight to gold/money? I don't remember any inventory weight in U7...and I liked it. Just bags inside of bags inside of boxes inside of crates with more bags inside of those! :)

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
In fact I wish U7 had the UO mechanic (added later) where you could dye your bags different colors. UO did have a weight limit tho.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I Don't think U7 used weight on the Inventory? I read something on the Larian Official forums asking if they should add weight to gold/money? I don't remember any inventory weight in U7...and I liked it. Just bags inside of bags inside of boxes inside of crates with more bags inside of those! :)

Zep--

It had both a weight and a volume limit.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep--

It had both a weight and a volume limit.

UO or U7?

Zep--

DeepOcean

Arcane

Zep--
Do you have a sexy half bald, half hairy hairstyle like Swen and David?:lol:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
No, fortunately, I'm a long haired, greybeard, biker with no bald gene (yet...52).

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom