Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
THEY UPDATED THE THUMBNAIL ON THEIR PITCH VIDEO SO THAT THE WOMAN IS NO LONGER DRESSED IN A CHAINMAIL BIKINI :x :x :x

FUCKING FEMINIST PANDERING WHITE KNIGHTS I AM REVOKING MY PLEDGE FOREVER I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD GAME :x :x :x DEATH TO LARIAN

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had my eye on the $95 dollar pledge, but it seems there is no paypal option for it !??.
I know it contains the kickstarter collection set but for the people that don't own a credit card and do have intrests in this tier, I do hope it will be enabled through paypal donation.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Had my eye on the $95 dollar pledge, but it seems there is no paypal option for it !??.
I know it contains the kickstarter collection set but for the people that don't own a credit card and do have intrests in this tier, I do hope it will be enabled through paypal donation.
Yeah, me too. I already asked them if they plan to include physical tiers in PayPal donations (only digital ones are available right now). Waiting for the response.

If not, I'm going for the $25 tier. Or maybe $40. Well, ok $65 at most.

BTW, Matt Barton has pledged too.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
pktSzIH.png

"forgot"

Breydel

Literate
They said on the chat that there were problems with some of the PayPal tiers, and that they've disabled a few of them for the time being. Should be sorted out by tomorrow. I thought that was a little strange, since this sounds like the sort of thing that you should take care of as soon as possible, but I guess it takes time.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
THEY UPDATED THE THUMBNAIL ON THEIR PITCH VIDEO SO THAT THE WOMAN IS NO LONGER DRESSED IN A CHAINMAIL BIKINI :x :x :x

FUCKING FEMINIST PANDERING WHITE KNIGHTS I AM REVOKING MY PLEDGE FOREVER I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD GAME :x :x :x DEATH TO LARIAN

:lol: And it looks absolutely awful now.

Someone should show Swen that South Park episode, where the town kept changing Christmas, so no one would be offended. In the end no one was offended, but everyone thought the celebrations were boring and lame.

Swen should have left the woman as she was and showed more skin on the man. That would have shown the prudes!

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Gameplay looks pretty cool.

But does anybody knows why they went for this particular art style?
Typical cartoonish, overly ornamental and childish ''light hearted'' representations.

Considering their target audience, I'm not sure if it was the most adapted.

Correct me here, if I underestimated the popularity of this kind of graphics.

:Flash:

Arcane

Typical cartoonish, overly ornamental and childish ''light hearted'' representations.

I think Swen mentioned somewhere that in the beginning they split up their graphics team into two competing groups that were supposed to come up with two art styles, and then the team would decide on the winning art style, but both groups came up with very similar cartoonish styles, so they just accepted it.

Murk

Arcane
They've always had a light-hearted graphic style -- they go for obvious bright fantasy, not grim dark.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, me too. I already asked them if they plan to include physical tiers in PayPal donations (only digital ones are available right now). Waiting for the response.

If not, I'm going for the $25 tier. Or maybe $40. Well, ok $65 at most.

BTW, Matt Barton has pledged too.

Please let me know when you have a reply. tnx!

The Bishop

Cipher

They didn't really "adapt" it much, since it's perfectly in line with the rest of their work, no surprises here. If that's the style they think fits their games best, then it's only natural to allow them to make that decision. Beats trying to align with a mythical target audience anyway.

Murk

Arcane
I believe it was also expressed that the stylized cartoony approach requires less power and so the game is more likely to be playable on modern basic laptops and not just gaming desktops.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

I liked it. I thought it was interesting and eye catching. All the other RPGs go for ultra realistic, or grim dark and they end up looking the same.

As for their target market I don't know what that is, because they changed some of the art, because someone complained. I saw similar done to the Wasteland 2 game. They had a very elegant keyword system in place that was unusual, because few if any are using it these days. 95% of people were happy with it and yet they still changed it to suit the complainers.

For me this was shocking. It is like a painter defacing his work, because someone somewhere didn't like it, or an author blacking out passages in his book, because they offend someone in power. IMO artists should never, ever, deface their work to please anyone else. I want to see their artistic vision, untarnished and intact. They should not change it, just because I do not like it. I guess this is one of the downsides of crowd funding.

Monty

Arcane
37000k per day and they make it.
Don't see much chance of that, they've been doing about half of that.

I think 800k would be a good achievement from here, sadly the 1m stretch goal seems out of reach. Someone send Dengler a demo.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked it. I thought it was interesting and eye catching. All the other RPGs go for ultra realistic, or grim dark and they end up looking the same.

As for their target market I don't know what that is, because they changed some of the art, because someone complained. I saw similar done to the Wasteland 2 game. They had a very elegant keyword system in place that was unusual, because few if any are using it these days. 95% of people were happy with it and yet they still changed it to suit the complainers.

For me this was shocking. It is like a painter defacing his work, because someone somewhere didn't like it, or an author blacking out passages in his book, because they offend someone in power. IMO artists should never, ever, deface their work to please anyone else. I want to see their artistic vision, untarnished and intact. They should not change it, just because I do not like it. I guess this is one of the downsides of crowd funding.
I understand this viewpoint, but I'm not sure how well it works for a collaborative art process.

The designers and writers are already changing what they do every day based on their co-workers feedback.

Even with a novel, often an editor has a huge say in the final product, and for example removing the final chapter of A Clockwork Orange does improve the book.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game looks better and better, can't keep myself from pledgeing. Here Swen, take my money!

made

Arcane
They've always had a light-hearted graphic style -- they go for obvious bright fantasy, not grim dark.
Anybody_else_wanna_dance.jpg

I sorely miss the old Bitmap Brothers style, which somehow managed to combine light-hearted goofiness and grim-dark atmosphere in one and the same aesthetically pleasing package:

article_game_cadaver_gameplay.png

gods2.png

payoff-002.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom