Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Gord

Arcane
Damn, i just restarted DD1, in honour of this kickstarter and was immediately disappointed that the only way to move is the mouse when i was pressing the arrow keys... How about opensourcing just the executable code larian? Even ultima style 'keep the mouse pressed after clicking on a walkable area' would be better than keeping clicking.
Keeping the mouse button pressed used to work on DivDiv. I always played the CD version, though, don't know about the downloadable versions.

As I just started with the same thing (playing DD for the first time due to the KS), I can confirm that keeping the mouse button pressed will keep the char moving.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
The auto resolve in DC takes into account how much dmg your units do, how much hp they have, what upgrades they have... I don't know the details, but it's not "4 units win against 3 units yay". The map game should be fun in itself, cause it's based on a boardgame we made first, cards and countries and units and all.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The auto resolve in DC takes into account how much dmg your units do, how much hp they have, what upgrades they have... I don't know the details, but it's not "4 units win against 3 units yay". The map game should be fun in itself, cause it's based on a boardgame we made first, cards and countries and units and all.
How large can a map be?... How many "tiles" or whatever one want to call it.

Murk

Arcane
New update is great -- love this stuff. Stoked to hear about skills.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gawd hearing about how they create character systems was so painful to read. Why are they so dumb?

Gord

Arcane
Gawd hearing about how they create character systems was so painful to read. Why are they so dumb?

Reading your shitposts lately has become pretty painful, too.

:troll:

What's the matter, you can be quite considerate if you want to.

Murk

Arcane
Roguey's a troll and intermixes some real points (occasionally) with an endless torrent of shit. You have to treat it like a soda vending machine with a jagged corner -- it'll give you the soda but you can't just reach in carelessly. Useful to summon for verbatim quotes and other stalkerish obsessions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Reading your shitposts lately has become pretty painful, too.

:troll:

What's the matter, you can be quite considerate if you want to.
I feel like they're being bad deliberately out of some sense of stubbornness and willful ignorance. Josh Sawyer has given two GDC talks about makin' RPGs, there's no excuse not to know about them if you're a RPG developer. So I become hostile because of my imagination.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The next year shall decide the fate of all codex's heroes... no more "evil publishers made me do it!", everyone is getting a fair shot to make it's own game, let's see who inclines the most.

And I do have the ffeling that Sawyer will make a very boring game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The next year shall decide the fate of all codex's heroes... no more "evil publishers made me do it!", everyone is getting a fair shot to make it's own game, let's see who inclines the most.

Sawyer will a very mechanically balanced game. Whether it is synonymous is up to everybody to decide for themselves. But he has the rest of the Obsidian guys to make the game worth playing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Sawyer will a very mechanically balanced game. Whether it is synonymous is up to everybody to decide for themselves. But he has the rest of the Obsidian guys to make the game worth playing.

I think people are underestimating the efficiency of the system Sawyer seems to be creating because they are adverse to the way he treats the legacy he builds upon (and, maybe more so, to Roguey's trolling admiration of the man and the fact that she, too, pisses on that very legacy to rile up the residents).

Anyone who puts as much time and dedication into understanding system design, and who obviously has his heart right in there with him on his quest to deliver a system that plays well, is bound to make something that will be immensely fun to play with. Sawyer attempts to understand what he works with, and he seems dedicated to understand his field and what makes it work. The same cannot be said for many RPG system designers in the world of video games. For most of these, core gameplay systems come first and the character system is an afterthought.

For this reason alone I think Project Eternity will be surperior to many other RPGs in the system-department.

I have a great deal of hope that Project Eternity will be a good game, also because of Sawyer and the way he approaches design. I have no problem reconciling this with my disdain for his Icarus-esque quest for True Balance (tm) and his disapproval of the giants on whose shoulders he is standing.

EDIT: Quotes like this one:

I am not primarily interested in telling stories. I am a game designer and my primary interest is in making games.

which Roguey posted make me hopeful. We need more RPG designers who are first and foremost concerned with the mechanics of their game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That applies only to storyfans. Though of course there's plenty of those, especially in the Obsidian fan crowd.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/1394928210
For a lot of RPG players, game mechanics really don't matter. They will gladly march through a game that they hate if they enjoy the writing and story.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/566535242
I am not primarily interested in telling stories. I am a game designer and my primary interest is in making games. I always want the stories in the games I work on to be good, but that is secondary to ensuring that the game play is enjoyable. If I were fundamentally concerned with telling stories, I would become a writer.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Noticed a line of info in today's email, that I had not known:

We considered the Beyond Divinity stat system, because Beyond Divinity started out as a turn-based game (the publisher decided against that back in the day).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

We considered the Beyond Divinity stat system, because Beyond Divinity started out as a turn-based game (the publisher decided against that back in the day).
That piece of info was also in Matt's interview with Swen. He basically said that they took BD to E3 as a turn based game and were unable to sell it, so after returning home they remade the combat completely.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

The publisher also made them extend the game to add a wasteland (even though they wanted to finish it at the council).

- It goes back to Divine Divinity. They decided not to cut the game at the end of the Council of Seven sequence and instead went ahead and added a new “Wastelands” zone, despite warnings they’d never finish it. (Spoiler alert: It was a huge combat zone with no quests.) The publisher wanted them to show variety in the environments. “If there is not a screenshot with orange stuff, we’ll sue you.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom