Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Great stuff in here, thanks!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
As much as I dislike Youtubers I guess I can grit my teeth and get behind the idea if it's for more money for Larian. I guess.

'course this also means Totalbiscuit will inevitably take credit for the development and release of the game if it ends up being good. Do you want to let that blubberous brit rub his Marmite-smeared hands all over the game? Do you really? And don't even get me started on the kind of gangbang you would get at RPS. It makes me shiver to even think about it.
Regardless of this, TotalBiscuit is also almost wholly responsible for saving Kickstarters and indie projects. Same thing with Giant Bomb, both have semi-large but more importantly very dedicated audiences. There are many who have publicly said "we saw a 20x increase in sales after ___ did a video on our game" etc.

Felicia Day does love Ultima 7.
:rage:

Stabbey

Learned
C37-02.jpg

You walk away.

Oh hey, I recognize that. I took that shot! (I played that part of the game 6 times before, and it took until the 7th playthrough to find that body and note.)

At first, I was under the impression that Maxos had vanished into the Hall of Echoes, but then I realized that he couldn't have - because he left behind the protection amulet and the other things he had used to visit it. Is that Maxos's body? I don't know, but it certainly seems plausible.

I don't really follow Youtube "Celebs" either, but if it gets more eyes on the game and Kickstarter, the more celebs, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Jashiin

Arcane
Yes Larian needs to whore themselves out so we all reap the benefits that shiny million will give.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
C37-02.jpg

You walk away.

Oh hey, I recognize that. I took that shot! (I played that part of the game 6 times before, and it took until the 7th playthrough to find that body and note.)

At first, I was under the impression that Maxos had vanished into the Hall of Echoes, but then I realized that he couldn't have - because he left behind the protection amulet and the other things he had used to visit it. Is that Maxos's body? I don't know, but it certainly seems plausible.

I don't really follow Youtube "Celebs" either, but if it gets more eyes on the game and Kickstarter, the more celebs, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm replaying Divinity 2 just now, and when you get to Sentinel Island the first time, the Island says Maxos vanished to somewhere beyond even her knowledge or understanding. I get the impression that meant something more impressive than just the Hall of Echoes.

Murk

Arcane
That was my understanding as well, but perhaps some stories are blown out of proportion? None-the-less, Zandalor isn't just a kind old wizard, he clearly a larger involvement in the world-altering events.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Silly question but did anyone here get the Dragon Commander tier with Paypal? There is only one option to pay 65$ and since it is located under the D:OS box option, I wonder if you use it for both and then specify your reward or if the Dragon Commander tier is only available on KS, which is a bit annoying because Paypal is the most convenient option for me at the moment.

Maybe ForkTong can shed some light as well?

Stabbey

Learned
Silly question but did anyone here get the Dragon Commander tier with Paypal? There is only one option to pay 65$ and since it is located under the D:OS box option, I wonder if you use it for both and then specify your reward or if the Dragon Commander tier is only available on KS, which is a bit annoying because Paypal is the most convenient option for me at the moment.

Maybe ForkTong can shed some light as well?

He did in the Kickstarter comments. Unfortunately, because of the distributor agreements, he can't offer that tier through Paypal.

DeathKnight said:
Stabbey: you can preorder DC over at http://www.larianvault.com or at http://af.gog.com?as=1649904300

The tier with DC is a limited one-off. We have agreements with distributors etc about sales and pricing for DC. We need to adhere to those contracts. We were "allowed" this one tier on Kickstarter if it were limited.

It is true that we are independent and that both games are ours, but that doesn't mean we don't have investors and agreements. KS money goes into development of DOS, not of DC.

(I'm not the best guy to explain this, but this is the gist.)

At the moment, PayPal are tiers only, no add-ons. We need to talk internally about add-ons via other methods, esp the way we're gonna organize that
smile.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And finally, first strecht goal is reached!

Hope all that PR and LP's videos with youtube "celebrities" lead us to 650k. Can't you guys swp and leave companions for the 1M goal and the much cooler day/night cycle to 800k? :P

Stabbey

Learned
If I thought Larian could get away with swapping around Stretch Goals at this point, I'd have suggested moving Traits and Talents to 550k, Companions to 700k, Day/Night to 800k, and the Shelter to 1M. But they can't really do that now.

Arkeus

Arcane
Kickstarter update said:
Homestead Built!

Yes! You did it! The first stretchgoal has been successfully reached! The more we thought about it, the cooler all the features over at the Shelter Plane at the End of Time have become, and the more anxious we are to actually play around with them!
So what else is there? Of course, our next stretchgoal is in sight: talents and personal traits. But wait! There's more...
  • Expanding The Lair
  • More Than Meets The Eye
  • Kirill Live This Thursday
  • First Fansite Spotted
Expanding The Lair

From now on, for every 1000 backers that we gain, the lair of the monster beneath Phantom Forest will become deeper and deeper. (This means, we start counting at 10'000 backers.) Or in the words of Jan, our writer extraordinaire:
"As you travel onward beyond the woods of Luculla, it doesn't take long to reach the outskirts of Phantom Forest: a vast, towering woodland shunned by almost all that lives. Once entered, a few steps suffice to be engulfed in absolute nocturnal darkness that even the eyes of a cat would have great difficulty in piercing. Armed with a torch one might proceed, but it requires an iron will not to turn and run in fright when beholding the torturously contorted grimaces that seem to slither through every coarsely barked trunk. Dead bodies hang from twisted branches, silent and still, for not even the winds dare penetrate the foreboding canopy of Phantom Forest."
ThePhantomForestUp.jpg

Phantom Forest
"Neither do the forces of evil that threaten our heroes, for it is said that deep within its reaches a creature lurks that is so cruel the world knows not its like - not even the sinister Engineer that shall plague the Marked One centuries later can compare with the shadow that stalks this distorted wood. And yet, it is there that the key can be found to unravel an essential piece of lore of infinite value to those who seek to control the Source..."
The lair of this nightmarish beast is a labyrinth riddled with death, puzzles and mystery. It's up to you however, to decide just how extensive this lair will be. For every thousand extra backers that pledge from here on out, a new level full of pitfalls, threats and riddles will be added!
ThePhantomForestLair.jpg

The lair of the unspeakable...
With your help, the depths of Phantom Forest will become the stage of an unforgettable adventure, and to those that walk in unprepared, certain grisly death!
More Than Meets The Eye

In the following video, we want to show you how, just like in the previous Divinity games, something seemingly small and trivial can unravel a whole new world in Divinity: Original Sin. Or how one lonely lamenting ghost above ground unlocks an entire society of ghosts living underground... (Minor spoiler alert.)

Kirill Live This Thursday

As a reminder, Kirill will be playing LIVE this Thursday.
You will be able to ask questions during and after the concert and we'll let Kirill answer after the concert. Join us at www.divinityoriginalsin.com:
7:00PM CEST (Central European Summer Time, also known as Belgium Time to us)
That's 9:00PM in Moscow, 6:00PM in London, 1:00PM in New York, and 10:00AM in San Francisco ;-)
We will be streaming this concert live but we will also record this and later on upload it to our Youtube channel.
First Fansite Spotted

Something started growing here in our Kickstarter comments section, which has started to lead a life of its own. After watching one of our videos, some people were wondering if the sheep would actually fight back, and one thing lead to another... So apparently, without us even realizing it, there are Weresheep in Divinity: Original Sin. We had no other choice now but to actually introduce them.
The Weresheep Guild now has its own website where they are gathering as much data as they can about Divinity: Original Sin. Bookmark it :)
fetch.php

The logo of www.weresheep.net
And In Closing

At Kickstarter, everything always has to go up. Up, up, higher and higher: backers, pledges, rewards... It feels weird, but we wanna get that dungeon going down, down, deeper and down.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I love the "for ever x backers we add a level to a dungeon" thingy. It's been way too long since I played through an epic dungeon. Every RPG should have one.

Arkeus

Arcane
I love the "for ever x backers we add a level to a dungeon" thingy. It's been way too long since I played through an epic dungeon. Every RPG should have one.
Every kickstarters seem to have one nowadays. Was it PE which began this, or another one before?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Every kickstarters seem to have one nowadays. Was it PE which began this, or another one before?
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was PE, then Torment, then this.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
On another board I read someone said "I was almost ready to back Divinity until I saw it was a CRPG - I want another FP-RPG like the Divinities I played before"

So I had to up my pledge again to make up for their failure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom