Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Gord

Arcane
What's a FP-RPG? Because, first person it's obviously not...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ForkTong
Since you are now allowing two male/two female party instead of the initial idea of having a predefined mixed gender setup, does that mean there will be no prerendered cutscenes in the game? Or at least no prerendered cutscenes featuring our protagonists?

What's a FP-RPG? Because, first person it's obviously not...
Fucking Popamole?
No, Divinities were never this either, so it does not fit.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I forgot about this! :

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ForkTong
Since you are now allowing two male/two female party instead of the initial idea of having a predefined mixed gender setup, does that mean there will be no prerendered cutscenes in the game? Or at least no prerendered cutscenes featuring our protagonists?
IIRC DD has a prerendered intro that completely ignores the fact that you can create a female character, so they might take this approach again.

Gord

Arcane
Didn't DKS do the cutscenes in-engine?
Worked quite well, imho.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah I would assume it uses in game cut-scenes. I wonder if it has as good a camera use as powerful as NWN2's was. That was actually pretty damn cool.

Raapys

Arcane
Eh, it's okay if you pick up the pyramids asap I guess. I always forget about them. I'd never call it good though. Doesn't have enough non-trash-mob-combat content for that.

doggfookker

Educated
I like the first dungeon in Divine Divinity back when I first played it and had no idea what the game was going to turn into--man, that is bringing back sweet, sweet memories of going outside of Aleroth for the first time and being like, "Holy shit, WHAT?" at how the game shifted from being something akin to every other Diablo clone into something so much more. The fact that I wasn't expecting the Ultima-eqsue open world, making it a total surprise, is really one of the reasons I loved that game so much.

Also, am I the only one more excited about fleshed-out companions than day and night cycles? Fucking shit man maybe I am just a filthy zionist LARPist.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah man, I know what you mean dogg. I'm not that crazy about night\day cycle other, most times it's just a bother. Of course, it could be neat, but I think fleshed out companions would help out more.

Although I wonder- if they have their own personality and story, could you still treat them as "blank slates" and develop them in any way you want to?

Stabbey

Learned
I really liked the Divinity 2 in-game cutscenes, the way they switched angles and moved the camera kept things more interesting than just the usual static stillness. Original Sin and Dragon Commander are using the same engine (seriously), so I think Larian could do plenty of tricks with cutscenes if they want.

Divine Divinity's first dungeon was okay, but the real highlight of the game was the interaction with people and the interesting quests, not so much huge dungeons. I did like the diversity of that dungeon, the journal trails of Thelyron and Mardaneus, the different styles on each floor, the sub-quests ("Slasher"), but it was just took a long time to get through. Even starting out at level 5 and fighting mostly only level 2 skeletons which gave out tiny XP, there were so many that you'd gain 3 levels. And the problem was that this dungeon wasn't that optional, because while you could technically skip it, you'd be underlevelled for anything outside of Aleroth.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking back at DD's first dungeon, I think we can do without ^___^

Am I the only one who liked it? :(

I liked it. It's like tossing you into the pit to know that you are good enough to move onward with the game. Not as quick as in Diablo but the creepy atmosphere was there, and not knowing what you are against is a part of experience.

Murk

Arcane
I liked the first dungeon as well -- had a great end boss, some neat scenes (could have used a few more quests maybe? or just quirky things to find) and was atmospheric as all fuck with some cool secrets; I also liked reading the necromancer's journal pages and slowly putting the puzzle together. The fact that the game world was vastly different was super dope. The only real drawback was if some players stopped playing the game because of it... but then, they sat through Diablo so what the hell?

Maybe if using the pyramid teleporter kinda of short-cutted things a bit? Or some side-access thing to skip a few of the levels, but then you'd probably get raped by the orcs outside. Goddamn that hostile spawn war drummer.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Goddamn that hostile spawn war drummer.

The fucking war drummers! This brings back the memories of the first time i played the game in 2003 or so. I still remember being able to clear the map of all the other orcs with my fighter quite easily once i had reached certain level, but these douchebag drummers could heal themselves faster than i could damage them. Finally i said fuck it and went to do other things.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
So orc drummers eh.... :troll:

Oh, and there are no cutscenes. If we have an intro/outro, we'll try to do it without "main" player characters.

Camera atm cannot be rotated. Some 3D artwork wouldn't work, and level designers are using dirty tricks that make the level look good in this fixed cam, but that would pop out as soon as you could rotate the camera.

Edit : I also found out today that I was too fast in telling you TotalBiscuit would do D:OS because we're still talking to him about it... Sorry :\

doggfookker

Educated
So, will Original Sin have all the orcs and trolls and elves and dwarves and shit from DivDiv, or is it going to ignore all of that like Div2 did?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The most ironic fucking part was that "heavy wardrummers" were much, MUCH, MUUUUUUUCH less heavy than regular ones.

About five times less heavy, even.

Breydel

Literate
Edit : I also found out today that I was too fast in telling you TotalBiscuit would do D:OS because we're still talking to him about it... Sorry :\

Good news, Swen just posted this:

Total Biscuit is confirmed - he'll be playing with us this Saterday. End of campaign boost kind of thing which is pretty cool of him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom