Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

DeepOcean

Arcane
evdk said:
Marquess Cornwallis should up his pledge by an additional $1. Although this may be worth two bucks.

(Although I have to admit to cheating by skipping the KS (or any major gaming site) comments. No one's that rich.)
I'm curious what is going on here, can You guys explain?
He adds a buck to his pledge for each retarded comments.
The way I want this to get the 1 million stretch goal, I would shitpost to the point he would be broke.:P

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
For every degree I can rotate the camera in game I will kick in 5 extra cents of my $150 pledge ( per degree)

:troll: maybe.... :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I love the "for ever x backers we add a level to a dungeon" thingy. It's been way too long since I played through an epic dungeon. Every RPG should have one.
You're not going to get one here though. They'll be lucky to get more than three.

I think it wasn't such a bad timesink for a low level dungeon actually (And it was nowhere near as long as people say). It also had a few cool secrets and moments of lulz. Had it been optional, i doubt anyone would have complained.
I would. What a worthless skeleton killing borefest.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I didn't like that first dungeon either as I just can't get into the Diablo clones. I actually have Diablo installed on laptops (for the last ten years or so) for playing when in a hotel or whatever and never get past the Butcher level, I kill him then lose interest.

I doubt I would have finished those first five levels (or is it 7?) if someone on the dex said that it turns into a real RPG once you finish. I was grateful for that advice and really enjoyed the rest of the game. Didn't mind the other dungeons either, just that grind at the beginning was kind of annoying.

Breydel

Literate
I love the "for ever x backers we add a level to a dungeon" thingy. It's been way too long since I played through an epic dungeon. Every RPG should have one.
You're not going to get one here though. They'll be lucky to get more than three.

You know what, I'm perfectly fine with that. I have a hard time believing that Project Eternity's mega-dungeon will stay fresh and interesting throughout all 13 levels.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

You know what, I'm perfectly fine with that. I have a hard time believing that Project Eternity's mega-dungeon will stay fresh and interesting throughout all 13 levels.

Yes, I've also wondered how they will pull this off. The levels can't be to big, have they said anything about size?

Perhaps it's gonna be 13 levels with one room each.. :roll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't it 15 levels of Endless Paths of something-something in Project Eternity in the end, not 13?
Yeah, i think it was 15 or so.
I've checked. Seems like 13 after all.
883b12dbd490372aae108ce126d5f74d_large.jpg

Arkeus

Arcane

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The giant statue is missing its feet. We should have unlocked all 16 levels.
Then there would no excuse for the final boss not to be a giant red spiky demon lord of hell called Olbaid.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's also almost as long as Diablo, which is a bit worrying.

Yup, it is like another game in main game, I wonder how they are going to manage that mega dungeon.

15 levels of Deep Roads?
I don't know about that, but I think that there is a maximum size the dungeon can have given the time and resources available and any additional floors above that size just mean smaller floors. Basically I am afraid that it will have 15 comically small levels.

Gord

Arcane
Maybe that particular discussion should be continued in the PE thread, not the OS thread.

Lancehead

Liturgist

Yup, it is like another game in main game, I wonder how they are going to manage that mega dungeon.

15 levels of Deep Roads?
I don't know about that, but I think that there is a maximum size the dungeon can have given the time and resources available and any additional floors above that size just mean smaller floors. Basically I am afraid that it will have 15 comically small levels.
Looking at the art and the cut-off feet, it may be safe to assume the maximum size they wanted to make was if it had reached another level or two.

Suicidal

Arcane

15 levels of Deep Roads?

When I said Deep Roads I wasn't referring to size but rather to the fact that it may be filled with nothing but identical groups of 10 orcs and an occasional ogre.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reminder that Torment: Tide with Bleach has a dungeon 12 levels deep.

I didn't like that first dungeon either as I just can't get into the Diablo clones. I actually have Diablo installed on laptops (for the last ten years or so) for playing when in a hotel or whatever and never get past the Butcher level, I kill him then lose interest.
Unlike DivDiv, Diablo's actually fun. Europeans seem to have a cargo cult approach to RPGs, like the Japanese, only they zig where they zag.

I doubt I would have finished those first five levels (or is it 7?) if someone on the dex said that it turns into a real RPG once you finish. I was grateful for that advice and really enjoyed the rest of the game. Didn't mind the other dungeons either, just that grind at the beginning was kind of annoying.
I never saw any of this "real RPG." I killed a bunch of orcs in the first area that were indistinguishable from the skeletons underground and then visited the blandest farm ever. This hurtled DieDivDie into my "worst games of all time" list alongside NWN OC and NWN2 OC.

Xenich

Cipher
Unlike DivDiv, Diablo's actually fun. Europeans seem to have a cargo cult approach to RPGs, like the Japanese, only they zig where they zag.

In the beginning it is a bit like that, but what separates Divine Divinity from Diablo is that it continues to expand with its quests, secrets, and complexity of objects and interaction while Diablo stays the same throughout. Both are wack a mole style games, but Diablo is pretty much that all the way through and its item interaction develops no complexity, its just "rinse and repeat" for more loot and the next boss on the next level. Did you play Divine Divinity all the way through or just the first portion.

made

Arcane
While playing DD it never occurred to me to think of it as a Diablo clone. Sure, you click on stuff to kill it, but that's where the similarities end. It has much more in common with other RPGs than it does with Diablo.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I never saw any of this "real RPG." I killed a bunch of orcs in the first area that were indistinguishable from the skeletons underground and then visited the blandest farm ever. This hurtled DieDivDie into my "worst games of all time" list alongside NWN OC and NWN2 OC.
I never saw this, so I'm so sorry you had a horrible imaginary time playing Divinity 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom