Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fuck, All those kickstarter updates made me want to replay DivDiv 1 again, third playthrough incoming! Maybe, I even have courage to play Beyond Divinity. Is Beyond Divinity good enough for a playthrough?

Breydel

Literate
Yeah, that's the one thing I'm a little worried about - I hope the AI personalities you can select for the second character aren't too generic and predictable. Otherwise everything about this game sounds great so far.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, All those kickstarter updates made me want to replay DivDiv 1 again, third playthrough incoming! Maybe, I even have courage to play Beyond Divinity. Is Beyond Divinity good enough for a playthrough?
Not sure regarding a full playthrough, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance. The premise (a paladin and a death knight are soulbound and have to work together to escape a prison) is cool enough in itself to check the game out.

Stabbey

Learned
The kindest word for Beyond Divinity is unpolished.

The magic is too expensive to be practical, the skill system is overcomplicated (but ultimately unnecessary), the voice acting ranges from bad to okay (YMMV), the first act is a pretty tedious slog and basically requires spending some skill points into Sneak to finish, the randomly generated battlefield dungeons aren't interesting.

The best part of it is the tag-along character, who is relentlessly snarky and jerkish. There are some bugs, but nothing game-breaking or game-crashing comes to mind.

Xenich

Cipher

Some parts yes. Problem is the random generated dungeon mechanic part of the game. Aside from that and some little nuances you may object to here and there, it isn't too bad, but as I said, the whole random dungeon "special zone" thing they do is just retarded.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Urgh, the original two art styles looked so much better than the bland generic compromise they merged them into. Keep failin' Larian.

In the beginning it is a bit like that, but what separates Divine Divinity from Diablo is that it continues to expand with its quests, secrets, and complexity of objects and interaction while Diablo stays the same throughout. Both are wack a mole style games, but Diablo is pretty much that all the way through and its item interaction develops no complexity, its just "rinse and repeat" for more loot and the next boss on the next level.
Diablo's timesink combat was fun for me because of the ways I had to use terrain to defeat opponents and the reliable loot treadmill. There were no such terrain antics to be had in DieDivDie as I slowly killed those 500 skeletons one by one and the loot treadmill was a complete failure because I kept finding all these powerful axes that had skyhigh strength requirements that I couldn't possibly meet and I never did find a bow as awesome as the one I stole from the first shop.

Oh yeah and they have no excuse for the lack of equipped-item comparison and the awful shopping inventory considering this was released in 2000 and fucking 2.

Did you play Divine Divinity all the way through or just the first portion.
Up until the farm was when I realized there was no point in playing further. It didn't even have the funny dialogue of Divinity 2.

Xenich

Cipher
Diablo's timesink combat was fun for me because of the ways I had to use terrain to defeat opponents and the reliable loot treadmill. There were no such terrain antics to be had in DieDivDie as I slowly killed those 500 skeletons one by one and the loot treadmill was a complete failure because I kept finding all these powerful axes that had skyhigh strength requirements that I couldn't possibly meet and I never did find a bow as awesome as the one I stole from the first shop.

Oh yeah and they have no excuse for the lack of equipped-item comparison and the awful shopping inventory considering this was released in 2000 and fucking 2.

Up until the farm was when I realized there was no point in playing further. It didn't even have the funny dialogue of Divinity 2.

Well, that explains a lot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Urgh, the original two art styles looked so much better than the bland generic compromise they merged them into. Keep failin' Larian.
You know Roguey, you were way more subtle back then, it was even possible to take you seriously...
Are you saying you liked the bland generic thing it became as opposed to Beautiful Colors and Lighter-Happier-Diablo-3?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You know Roguey, you were way more subtle back then, it was even possible to take you seriously...
Are you saying you liked the bland generic thing it became as opposed to Beautiful Colors and Lighter-Happier-Diablo-3?
Exactly, look A was like Torchlight 2, and look B like a more colorfull Diablo 3. The new one is way more interesting, being slightly cartoony but still way more beatifull and detailed that D3 or T2.

Multi-headed Cow

Excellent news, bro-op buddy's got the cash to swing this afterall. Plus he picked up Starbound. Got some nice adventure lined up for 2013. :bounce:

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Replaying DKS and I just reached Aleroth Harbour... I somehow missed this the first time. The music is a ridiculous folky Morrowind theme remix. Why? :lol: I love this game. It's so gleefully stupid.

:lol: Somehow i didn't notice that song when i played the game. Even though i don't usually like excess pop culture references in games, i must admit these kind of shenanigans are part of what makes Larian games so funny and charming. I literally spilled my drink when i saw the not so subtle Terminator easter egg in Flames of Vengeance.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
D:OS got 12K yesterday. Was there a $2500 backer?
dailypledges.png

Monty

Arcane
D:OS got 12K yesterday. Was there a $2500 backer?
No, there's only been 1 $2500 backer for weeks. The 'more divinity fans'/'ten years of games' $550 tier is now up to 25 so there might have been a few of those.

I wonder what the paypal total is. They got $5k in the first couple of days it was open so it might be substantial by now.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
the loot treadmill was a complete failure because I kept finding all these powerful axes that had skyhigh strength requirements that I couldn't possibly meet

Up until the farm was when I realized there was no point in playing further.
Lol okay. So you played the game for an hour, quit, and then imagined playing 10 more hours and finding "powerful axes"? What drugs are you tripping on?

Evaluating the "loot treadmill" in a single dungeon full of the same enemies indeed. lol.

It didn't even have the funny dialogue of Divinity 2.
What's wrong, did the 500 skeletons you kill not have funny dialogue? How surprising!

Yup. I don't care about art style. It's the saturation and over-bloom that distracts. Bland and generic is fine, it lets me concentrate on tactical gameplay.

What's wrong, Roguey, why do you care about art more than gameplay?

Gord

Arcane
Lol okay. So you played the game for an hour, quit, and then imagined playing 10 more hours and finding "powerful axes"? What drugs are you tripping on?

Not to mention that you got a side-quest to find a certain axe in that dungeon, coincidence?
Btw. the drug is called "trolling".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom