Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you consider Disco Elysium an RPG?

• Total voters

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A reminder of what is best in RPGs:

aENvRgD.gif

Warlord: This is good, but what is best in RPGs?
Warrior: Collaborative story-telling, choice & consequences, cinematic narrative, and companion romances.
Warlord: Wrong! Conan, what is best in RPGs?
Conan: To crush your enemies, explore their dungeons, and to see the glitter of their treasure.
Warlord: That is good. [crowd cheers]

This reductionist argument would force you to conclude that any game with outcomes decided by RNG or that uses hit points is an RPG, since those are PnP mechanics. The question isn't whether it uses any RPG mechanics, but the degree to which it resembles an RPG.
It isn't reductionist as Disco Elysium isn't just a game where somebody put some RPG bits to masquerade it as an RPG. The game is set in the actual RPG setting homebrew by the developers and uses core RPG mechanics as pillars of its gameplay.
"Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara is an RPG"

While people may dislike Disco for lack of combat layer or for being narratively driven, none of this changes the core aspect of the game.
Stop conflating your personal stylistic preferences with reality. I understand that there is a dearth of good CRPG content out there, but this isn't a question about whether someone likes Disco Elysium or not. (FYI, I enjoyed it. I happen to like both visual novels and CYOA stories.) Combat is an essential element of RPGs, due to their origin.

Harthwain

Magister
Stop conflating your personal stylistic preferences with reality. I understand that there is a dearth of good CRPG content out there, but this isn't a question about whether someone likes Disco Elysium or not.
Neither I am saying what I am saying because I like Disco Elysium (although I am obviously liking it a lot). I am merely pointing out how the RPG characteristics are inherent in Disco's design. In fact, it is core of the game - there is nothing else but the fundamental RPG mechanics. Everything revolves around that. If anyone is "conflating personal stylistic preferences with reality" here, it would be you.

Combat is an essential element of RPGs, due to their origin.
Sure. And stats of your character are used to resolve combat. Some people complain about it not being a separate tactical layer, but in PnP all comes down to rolling the dice (in addition to making a tactical choice) as well, so it's hypocritical to attempt to deny Disco being an RPG when in fact it does everything by the book.

A plenty of people make comparisons of Disco Elysium to Planescape: Torment as it's literally the same style, sans shitty combat (for which Torment is pretty much always criticized for). At best you could say you don't like how the system is implemented or that - maybe - the way it was handled doesn't suit the video game format. But that's not the argument you're making.

Edit: Honestly? I would love a separate and WELL DONE combat layer. I am a big fan of tactical games, after all. But if you can't pull that off I will take "combat via dialogue" over shitty combat. Because fuck shit.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
you know those RPG maker sex games where the whole gameplay is walking around and finding new sex scenes? that's as much RPG as as Disco Elysium.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It is not the same style. You are just an idiot.

PST is combat heavy, and also has sneaking and magic. Disco is just reading.
Yes or no - would PST be better without the shitty combat, stealth, and magic systems? If your answer to that is no, have you considered that maybe *you're* the idiot?

Harthwain

Magister
Yes or no - would PST be better without the shitty combat, stealth, and magic systems? If your answer to that is no, have you considered that maybe *you're* the idiot?
What you guys are talking about? Magic is essentially combat under a different name (which is a huge waste of potential, because magic could really be a big game changer) and stealth/stealing is so marginal it doesn't really matter (which is yet another waste of potential). You could easily remove "stealth" and nobody would even notice the difference. And if you were to remove shitty combat, then it would be for the best as combat is one of the biggest negative points whenever people talk about Planescape: Torment. Not because people hate combat, but because it's so badly done in Torment.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Reminder that Zork is an RPG, and that Quest for Glory is not a hybrid game.
Zork is a text-based adventure game first released in 1977 by developers Tim Anderson, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, and Dave Lebling for the PDP-10mainframe computer. The original developers and others, as the company Infocom, expanded and split the game into three titles—Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz, and Zork III: The Dungeon Master—which were released commercially for a range of personal computers beginning in 1980. In Zork, the player explores the abandoned Great Underground Empire in search of treasure. The player moves between the game's hundreds of locations and interacts with objects by typing commands in natural languagethat the game interprets. The program acts as a narrator, describing the player's location and the results of the player's commands. It has been described as the most famous piece of interactive fiction.

Alex

Arcane
Reminder that Zork is an RPG, and that Quest for Glory is not a hybrid game.
Zork is a text-based adventure game first released in 1977 by developers Tim Anderson, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, and Dave Lebling for the PDP-10mainframe computer. The original developers and others, as the company Infocom, expanded and split the game into three titles—Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz, and Zork III: The Dungeon Master—which were released commercially for a range of personal computers beginning in 1980. In Zork, the player explores the abandoned Great Underground Empire in search of treasure. The player moves between the game's hundreds of locations and interacts with objects by typing commands in natural languagethat the game interprets. The program acts as a narrator, describing the player's location and the results of the player's commands. It has been described as the most famous piece of interactive fiction.

First, the part about "interactive fiction" has always been a buzzword. Zork is a prime example of adventure game.

Second, I want to re-iterate my argument that zork is a CRPG in case it is needed. Real RPGs are a tabletop game you play with other people. They can't be turned into a computer game (except maybe as an online game with a game master) because they require another person's ability to understand and react to what you wish to do in game, rather than just implementing rules. As such, what we call CRPGs are just games inspired by real RPGs, that in some way or another try to replicate the experience you might have with the pen and paper game on a computer. As such, games like Might & Magic, Wizardry, Ultima, Fallout or Arcanum are clearly CRPGs. But Zork, which is clearly inspired by a dungeon crawl despite not having much combat at all (and it being exceeding simply when it happens) too would qualify. For that matter, so would those Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf books when transposed to the computer.

Does it matter? A good game is a good game, no matter what box we fit it into.

You do have a point. Before arguing whether DE is an RPG, you should argue whether it is a game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
In my abortive attempt to play it I died of a heart attack retrieving my trousers from a fan in the first room, so I promptly uninstalled and refunded. I think the game was trying to tell me not to bother wasting my time.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
CYOA is already an established genre. Why shoehorn RPGs into it, or vice-versa? If I do a search for 4x, and Pillars of Eternity comes up, or Tyranny, or Skyrim, how does that help me? If a get an itch for an RPG, chances are I don't want mainly a CYOA. And if I do a search for CYOA, I don't want Wizardry or Might & Magic to come up. I like games having multiple tags and labels, but I think they should be from most prominent to least. For Disco Elysium, if the tags went CYOA, No-Combat, Reading Heavy, then RPG, that would make sense to me. And the No-Combat tag would let me immediately know the game is something I have absolutely no interest in playing or spending money on. And, ideally, I would be able to exclude tags, like No-Combat, and never have it even come up in my search. Or set up searches to have games that are primarily an RPG, and exclude games like Disco Elysium that way, too.

For me, it all comes down to being able to drill down and quickly find content I am actually interested in. Steam is awful at figuring out what games I like from what games I like. Netflix used to be great at it, but then got awful around the time Amy Schumer sued them.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why shoehorn RPGs into it, or vice-versa?
Well, what's an RPG?
In my opinion, not a CYOA. Much like Justice Stewart's views on obscenity, "I know it when I see it."

I think the tag/label system I described above is pretty fair. Having the most prominent or relevant aspect of a game be listed in descending order, and rated by the community, seems reasonable.

So far about 40% of people believe Disco Elysium is an RPG. What percentage of these 40% believe Disco Elysium is more of an RPG than a CYOA? And if they were able to rate tags/labels in order of prominence for Disco Elysium, would they first and foremost give it an RPG tag? What would your guess be?

Harthwain

Magister
In my opinion, not a CYOA.
So, in other words, you have no idea. Figures.

I think the tag/label system I described above is pretty fair. Having the most prominent or relevant aspect of a game be listed in descending order, and rated by the community, seems reasonable.
...until the tag/label doesn't suit well with you when you find yourself to be a minority opinion.

So far about 40% of people believe Disco Elysium is an RPG. What percentage of these 40% believe Disco Elysium is more of an RPG than a CYOA? And if they were able to rate tags/labels in order of prominence for Disco Elysium, would they first and foremost give it an RPG tag? What would your guess be?
OK, you're sounding very fishy here. Are you Vic's alt? Because he is apparently big on this "the democracy has spoken!" bullshit. Anyway:

1) The game got voted as GOTY 2019 by RPG Codex (with 646 votes out of 949), so trying to pretend like a pool done by ~100 is somehow more representative is laughable.

2) It doesn't matter what people belive. Disco Elysium has more common with RPGs (PnP ones at least) than the vast majority of so-called RPGs. It's not an opinion - it's a fact. Unless you want to tell me that the game that uses actual PnP mechanics as the core for its system (and is de facto straight-up translation from the tabletop RPG, including the setting) is not an RPG. But then you have to answer the question: "What is an RPG?". Which you obviously can't. At least not objectively.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
In my opinion, not a CYOA.
So, in other words, you have no idea. Figures.

...until the tag/label doesn't suit well with you when you find yourself to be a minority opinion.

OK, you're sounding very fishy here. Are you Vic's alt? Because he is apparently big on this "the democracy has spoken!" bullshit. Anyway:

1) The game got voted as GOTY 2019 by RPG Codex (with 646 votes out of 949), so trying to pretend like a pool done by ~100 is somehow more representative is laughable.

2) It doesn't matter what people belive. Disco Elysium has more common with RPGs (PnP ones at least) than the vast majority of so-called RPGs. It's not an opinion - it's a fact. Unless you want to tell me that the game that uses actual PnP mechanics as the core for its system (and is de facto straight-up translation from the tabletop RPG, including the setting) is not an RPG. But then you have to answer the question: "What is an RPG?". Which you obviously can't. At least not objectively.
I don't understand why you're being hostile, or why you'd believe my statement of an RPG not being a CYOA means I have no idea.

Definitions/terms change, regardless of if we like or agree with those changes. What something means is often subjective. If you want an actually definition, we could try to actually make a definition. We could approach it in two ways. First, how were RPGs created and what were they created to do? From my understanding, they evolved from wargames, and were meant to allow one or a small group of people to create characters defined primarily by non-ambiguous numbers, and the reasons for those numbers were almost exclusively combat, and allow these characters to have an adventure, with conflict and agency a main element of these adventures.

So, we have a system evolved from exclusively combat games (wargaming), with almost all TTRPGs and their rulebooks, handbooks, and supplemental materials (even item books like Encyclopedia Magicka) being combat focused. Until pretty recently in the life of TTRPGs there were no system that did not allow combat.

So, logically and rationally, by Disco Elysium not allowing combat, it cannot be an RPG, by definition, due to all the above points.

Second approach (and weaker approach) - would Disco Elysium play much differently if most of the RPG-elements were removed? I think this is unambiguously a no, because it was never a focus of the game. Instead, at the beginning of the game, you could have three questions and no numbers, telling the player what kind of character he is, and remove all the numbers, and the clothing options, and the game would still be loved by all the people that loved it, and disliked by all the players that dislike it, and still ignored by all the players that never heard of it. An actual CYOA book could be made of the game, and it would provide the same experience the game did, because at its heart, the game is a narrative adventure, with choices, not an RPG.

No one loves Disco Elysium for its rich and crunchy RPG system. They either love it as a CYOA and narrative despite the RPG stuff, or like it a little more than they otherwise would've due to the RPG stuff. So if the RPG stuff is not integral to the experience, how is it primarily an RPG? And you can't say the choices and consequences make it an RPG, because the first CYOA came out a couple years after the first RPG, while RPGs were almost unheard of, and the two inventions were unrelated.

So, those are two ways I've partially defined an RPG, by exclusion and inclusion. I'd like to hear your thoughts and your definition.

We can disagree, especially when it comes to definitions, since definitions literally are democratic (look up the new definition of literally for an example), but I honestly don't understand the hostility. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but how does name calling or hostility help at all? I respect you, and your views, and I hope we can be friends.

Taurist

Scholar
I liked it a lot, but honestly? An Adventure game.
Even in some crap like asscreed Origins I can upgrade my attack stats and have an idea about what it is I'm affecting. I never had the slightest understanding about what all the skill sand stats in DE meant, and I just saved up levels to get past "gateways".

Arvennios

Educated
Nope, an rpg-lite at best and that's pushing it, I'd say it's an adventure/point & click game, a stellar and highly innovative one, mind you.

jackofshadows

Magister
I just saved up levels to get past "gateways".
Are you retartet or something? DE has no hard checks.

LOOOOOTS of old farts/autismo supreme itt. Inheritance is important but it doesn't determine everything. It's like saying any non-silent film is a non-film.

DE emulate RPG experience therefore it's cRPG, couldn't be more simple. And yet… Guess that's why I love this place after all. Amazing.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't understand why you're being hostile
You think this is hostile?

or why you'd believe my statement of an RPG not being a CYOA means I have no idea.
Because it is an obvious attempt at avoiding the question.

Definitions/terms change, regardless of if we like or agree with those changes. What something means is often subjective. If you want an actually definition, we could try to actually make a definition. We could approach it in two ways. First, how were RPGs created and what were they created to do? From my understanding, they evolved from wargames, and were meant to allow one or a small group of people to create characters defined primarily by non-ambiguous numbers, and the reasons for those numbers were almost exclusively combat, and allow these characters to have an adventure, with conflict and agency a main element of these adventures.

So, we have a system evolved from exclusively combat games (wargaming), with almost all TTRPGs and their rulebooks, handbooks, and supplemental materials (even item books like Encyclopedia Magicka) being combat focused. Until pretty recently in the life of TTRPGs there were no system that did not allow combat.

So, logically and rationally, by Disco Elysium not allowing combat, it cannot be an RPG, by definition, due to all the above points.
I knew you'd try that. Two counterpoints:

1) Just because RPGs evolved from wargames and had combat at the forefront doesn't mean they didn't evolve past being strictly combat-focused. This is why the "evolution from wargames" doesn't hold up - because you conveniently stop at the point where it's favourable to you and don't look further. But the evolution doesn't work like that.

In other words: yes, RPGs did evolve from wargames, but they aren't wargames nor they have to be about murderhobos anymore. You can have - in this day and age - an RPG session with minimal combat. Or even no combat at all. The reason Disco is light on combat stems from different reasons than its RPG roots (and is something I tend to criticize myself, a lot).

2) Disco Elysium allows combat. It is simply handled the same way everything else is: via stats and choices. And stats and choices lie at the core of RPG decision-making and resolving all issues. So, logically and rationally, Disco Elysium is an RPG, by definition, due to all the above points.

Second approach (and weaker approach) - would Disco Elysium play much differently if most of the RPG-elements were removed? I think this is unambiguously a no, because it was never a focus of the game. Instead, at the beginning of the game, you could have three questions and no numbers, telling the player what kind of character he is, and remove all the numbers, and the clothing options, and the game would still be loved by all the people that loved it, and disliked by all the players that dislike it, and still ignored by all the players that never heard of it. An actual CYOA book could be made of the game, and it would provide the same experience the game did, because at its heart, the game is a narrative adventure, with choices, not an RPG.
Bullshit.

Stats (aka "RPG-elements") are exactly what makes the game an RPG: if you throw away what makes your character, then you don't have an RPG anymore. And we're not just talking about "you have more HP" or "you can use a heavier weapon". We're talking about an integral element of character's psychique/physique that impacts how he can interact with the environment (including what kind of input you can get in the first place).

To make it even funnier - by removal of stats you'd make Planescape: Torment worse game also, despite it having more "systems" (if we can count "magic", "stealth" and "stealth" as separate "systems" to begin with). This is because Intelligence and Wisdom play vital role in governing what your character (and not you) is able to comprehend. It is by no means a perfect system (Disco did this better, in my opinion), but it's way better than stats having absolutely no bearing what your character can say or do. This is why games like Disco Elysium, Planescape: Torment or Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura are at the top of my personal cRPG list.

No one loves Disco Elysium for its rich and crunchy RPG system. They either love it as a CYOA and narrative despite the RPG stuff, or like it a little more than they otherwise would've due to the RPG stuff. So if the RPG stuff is not integral to the experience, how is it primarily an RPG?
Again; this is a load of bullshit.

A plenty of people love Disco Elysium BECAUSE of its RPG system. Yes, there are choices and narrative (and they are great, for most part), but RPG elements are very well integrated together. This means the RPG stuff is, well, INTEGRAL to the experience.

So, those are two ways I've partially defined an RPG, by exclusion and inclusion. I'd like to hear your thoughts and your definition.
Well, first of all - anything derived from an RPG is, by extension, an RPG itself. So by being, essentially, a translation from PnP RPG Disco Elysium is a computer version of an RPG. Which is further supported by its design, meaning it is not an RPG just in name.

Secondly - an RPG must have a player-character and it has to allow that player-character to interact with the world. Stats are the most obvious ways to do that. They also allow to differentiate between characters. Disco Elysium does this extremely well, because player's stats play a vital role in something as basic as the transmission of information: you only know what your character can know and that's governed by his stats (and rolls). Then what you can do with the information you've obtained depends, once more, on your character: creating favourable circumstances, his stats, items, etc.

Frankly, I would be hard-pressed to find another game (save for Arcanum) where who you are literally defines you as a character. Even Planescape: Torment is lighter in this aspect (of information transmission), and more suiting as the object of your attempted criticism here. I mean, there is no real difference between a mage and a warrior in Torment, aside from one using flashy spells instead of hard objects in, oh-so-vaunted, combat. The key difference are the interactions with the NPCs. Which are, again, defined by character's stats.

We can disagree, especially when it comes to definitions, since definitions literally are democratic (look up the new definition of literally for an example), but I honestly don't understand the hostility. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but how does name calling or hostility help at all? I respect you, and your views, and I hope we can be friends.
There is no hostility. If I come of as hostile it may be because I am being blunt and don't mince words (too much), but that's not the same as being hostile.

Are you retartet or something? DE has no hard checks.
You can redo certain skill checks by leveling up a skill, so I can understand keeping a skill point in reserve. The downside to this is you're missing out on background skillchecks and you don't have your skills at highest possible level when attempting a non-repeatable skill check.

DE emulate RPG experience therefore it's cRPG, couldn't be more simple. And yet… Guess that's why I love this place after all. Amazing.
Indeed. It is amazing how something so obvious could be so contested. Especially here, of all places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom