Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was expecting the graphics to be a lot better. On Ultra settings, it doesn't even look as good as Doom 2016 to me. Does the Nightmare setting look significantly better?

I'm on nightmare (not "ultra nightmare") and it looks just okay. It was designed to run at 60fps on super old consoles, and the TAA plus sharpening is pretty aggressive, making it look a little flat and processed. It's really the design that makes it look good, everything else is pretty meh. Also I think motion blur and chromatic aberration hide a lot of how flat it looks normally, so with them off it looks even meh-er.

abija

Prophet
I see even the nuDoom fans are complaining at how cartoony the graphics are.
The art director said it was the only way to get the level of gore they wanted in the game. So basically more shit decisions brought on by their fucking glory killing.

Sad part... I'm sure it sold a lot more copies than proper shooter design.

JDR13

Arcane
I was expecting the graphics to be a lot better. On Ultra settings, it doesn't even look as good as Doom 2016 to me. Does the Nightmare setting look significantly better?

I'm on nightmare (not "ultra nightmare") and it looks just okay. It was designed to run at 60fps on super old consoles, and the TAA plus sharpening is pretty aggressive, making it look a little flat and processed. It's really the design that makes it look good, everything else is pretty meh. Also I think motion blur and chromatic aberration hide a lot of how flat it looks normally, so with them off it looks even meh-er.

What are your system specs and what kind of framerates are you getting?

JDR13

Arcane
It's not bad, but it's not great either. I hate getting interrupted every 5 minutes by these stupid tutorials. They go as far as highlight the weak points of the monsters ( including bosses ) before you even have a chance to figure them out yourself. How retarded is that ?

I keep seeing this complaint and it makes me wonder if people no longer bother to look through the options menu. You can toggle tutorials off.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's not bad, but it's not great either. I hate getting interrupted every 5 minutes by these stupid tutorials. They go as far as highlight the weak points of the monsters ( including bosses ) before you even have a chance to figure them out yourself. How retarded is that ?

I keep seeing this complaint and it makes me wonder if people no longer bother to look through the options menu. You can toggle tutorials off.
Codexers make shit up to complain about a game that they will play for a few dozen hours. What else is new?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Even little things got worse in Eternal, like, remember how you could find areas from the classic Doom games in the 2016 game as secrets?

Well, Eternal decided to do one better and...just have random sprites and textures be hidden in the levels:

That's about the best you get, sure, those weren't big things in 2016, but at least it was a whole area and everything but you and the enemies was the classic look and part of a map, so it was less jarring.

At least you can find Dopefish in this game...

Well now you can play the Doom games on the Doomguy's 486 so it's even better. You can even play custom wads if you modify the IWAD. Someone tried nuts.wad and it crashed the game lol.

Boleskine

Arcane
I haven't played Doom 2016 or Eternal, but from reading this thread and some other discussions it sounds like nuDoom is trending away from "Doom" and towards Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero style gameplay? See monster, press certain buttons in certain order to use certain weapon and ability to get ammo/armor/health.

Classic Doom is frantic and overwhelming at times, but the genius of it is the player choosing how to act. Some weapons are better in certain situations than others You can either take down the cacodemons with the chaingun then plasma the imps, sergeants, and riflemen. Or, you could blast a few rockets around then take out the rest of the enemies with some close shotgun blasts. Unless I'm mistaken in 2016 the glory kills were a partially optional but quite beneficial and rewarding mechanic?

I still plan to play Doom 2016 when I get a chance, while the more I read and see of Eternal the less appealing it seems. I understand and appreciate the need for innovation, but the direction id went for Eternal is a bit strange (platforming & climbing sections?) And dear lord, who cares about "story" in a fast-paced over-the-top FPS? AAA studios could significantly reduce their production costs by scrapping elaborate "story" content and all but eliminating the need to staff a writing team of failed aspiring screenwriters who live in $4,000/month LA or San Francisco studio apartments.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

RTX 2070 and Ryzen 3600, 1440p. I haven't bothered turning on the framerate info but I can tell from how it plays I'm over 100fps. It's hard for me to play at 60 anymore. Performance isn't an issue in this game in my experience.

SumDrunkGuy

Last edited by a moderator:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's a significant minority in the public as seen in Reddit and Twitter, which for some godforsaken reason prefers Doom 2016 over Eternal.
One major reason being that the arcadey presentation of Eternal takes them out muh powerhouse fantasy and muh immersion that they played nuDoom for.
And the other being that Eternal actually expects you to use all your tools at your disposal and won't let you sit on your favourite gun for the whole game. People apparently primarily liked 16 for its "shut your brain off and just have fun" approach, and loathe the fact that you have to use your brain in Eternal and that you actually can't just faceroll your way through the Maurader (as easy and boring as he is once you understand how he works).

Some examples:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Why would anybody do this?
What am I even looking at?
By using the slo-mo and air control rune you can get ludicrous speeds with the grappling hook.
It's a technique that lets you go fast. It shouldn't have to be explained why you want to go fast.

Am I the only person in this thread who isn't a senior with degrading motor skills?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Game gets way better the further you get. More guns, much more ammo, plus the runes and such offer you ways to make glory killing really fast and simple. Those first couple levels really don't give a good impression of how it actually functions later on. Not saying it's great... I definitely still prefer 2016 at the moment, and ammo is still lower than it should be... but it's much better.

Update: just played level 5 and turned on the fps counter and I was pretty much locked at 130-140 the whole time. Quite impressive for a basic 2070, I could barely get Control to run above 70fps period. Wonder what "ultra nightmare" looks like and how much fps I'd lose.

Yosharian

Arcane
The biggest issue with id Software is they never figured out what the fuck they want to do. Do they want to make a realistic 'cinematic' shooter, or do they want to make DOOM? You can't have both, you just can't. The idea of cutscenes in a DOOM game is just fucking awful.

And I didn't even dislike DOOM 3 that much but it wasn't a fucking DOOM game, it was something else. But anyway id really need to decide what the fuck they want to do and stick to it. If they want to make cinematic shooters then they can go for it and I'll get my DOOM fix somewhere else, no problem.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why would anybody do this?
What am I even looking at?

THE FPS OF THE YEAR DECADE ALL TIME.

LIKE/SUBSCRIBE/UPVOTE PATREON.COM/EVILSPIDERGOD6969 FOR MORE CONTENT AND S1CK TR1CKZ YOUR BOY CAN DO IN GAME OF THE MILLENNIUM JOHN ROMERO FORMERLY PRESENTS DOOM ETERNAL

GIVEAWAYS ON MY TWITCH: TWITCH.TV/SERVANTGIRLANNIHILATOR

THE FUTURE IS HERE

OK B00MER????

JDR13

Arcane
Update: just played level 5 and turned on the fps counter and I was pretty much locked at 130-140 the whole time. Quite impressive for a basic 2070, I could barely get Control to run above 70fps period. Wonder what "ultra nightmare" looks like and how much fps I'd lose.

I just saw some comparison shots, and there was surprisingly little difference between the 6 graphics presets. Even the difference between Low and Ultra Nightmare isn't that extreme.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just saw some comparison shots, and there was surprisingly little difference between the 6 graphics presets. Even the difference between Low and Ultra Nightmare isn't that extreme.

I started on high, thinking I needed that for high framerate, and one thing I definitely noticed going up to nightmare was the improved TAA. It still sucks ass, but at high there was much more blur in motion and smearyness. On nightmare that is toned down a lot. Dishonored 2 had a similar paradigm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom