Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Castanova

Prophet
Just had another >1000xpm game with Huskar. Hero clearly too OP.

What build do you use on him? HoD -> BKB -> damage items?

I've been practicing FV recently and I don't get all the hate for MoM. You can farm it up pretty quickly and then you're instantly capable of finding farm pretty much anywhere. If you get chased from the lane, just jungle. And, of course, it helps you get early-game kills in Chronosphere. I see people suggesting Vanguard or Battlefury first (with the regen and stout/PMS you can still jungle) but what's the point if you can't kill people during your ultimate? Obviously if you're playing really good players who are coordinated and you can't easily catch multiple ones in your Chrono, I could see MoM being a liability but I feel like it's almost required in a pub game. Thoughts?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
HoD > Treads (Rosh any time after you get HoD, level 7, and one of the following creeps: Wildkin, Centaur, Frost Ogre) > Armlet > BKB. You can get something else instead of the BKB if the enemy has no disables it'll stop. Satanic is a decent alternative in that case. Crits or AC as luxury, and travels if you get either of those.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If the enemy team has tons of CC/stun, a BKB could be worth prioritizing (you should p much always get it, but get it earlier I mean). Really the bane of Huskar.

I haven't played much at all. Prepping myself for GW2 marathon, surfing codex and watching Breaking Bad takes up most my computer time.

Damned Registrations

Armlet speeds up your farming immensely though. You're generally better off just avoiding fights if they have too much CC to handle that early. You can farm rosh, jungle, ancients or any lane, so avoiding enemies is fairly easy, provided you have wards.

Rpgsaurus Rex

phase boots, mask of madness and armlet - it's the only way

divine rapier is luxury

20283927.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I skip spear. Probably worth 1 point or more if you got early life leech.

Castanova

Prophet
No, you can't. Some people recommend skipping Spear entirely in favor of earlier max passive + early stat allocation. Some people (such as DR, it appears) get 1 point of Spear for lane harass/last hitting but then do basically the same no-spear build. The idea is that the passive allows you to do enough damage anyway so why not get extra stats + lifesteal and stay alive longer?

Damned Registrations

No. Which is part of the point. Sometimes you don't want to lifesteal; like if you're jungling with wards up, you may as well do it at 150 hp to rape things as fast as possible, instead of the 400 you'll be at if you lifesteal all the time.

The orb walking is also invaluable in the laning phase. Your range is too short to hit an enemy without pulling creep aggro unless you're orb walking, and at low levels it is pretty much impossible to manfight a hero + his creeps when your creeps aren't hitting him.

Castanova

Prophet
True, I can see both sides of the argument, though. I think the idea of skipping Burning Spear is to basically farm enemy heroes ASAP and almost perpetually and they'll take care of reducing your health just fine. I'll probably test out both methods to see which one fits my playstyle better... /shrug

The friend I usually play with always plays supports and I like farming so I usually play hard carries. It'll be fun to try to master a mid-game powerhouse.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, if you play exclusively as a ganker I could see it being valid. I generally spend enough time farming to make the point more than worthwhile though.

Damned Registrations

Sometimes orbwalking is pointless though, if either there's no point in harassing the enemy or if your support is zoning them out of xp range anyways.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Good luck finding a good support when you solo queue though.

Castanova

Prophet
It depends on your lane situation, I think. For example, I tried out the build this morning -- I went mid against Nyx Assassin. In that case, I didn't even bother skilling the spear. There are certain dual lane situations where the spear is probably not super useful, too.

Anyway, I made some mistakes but I ended up going 18-8 with about 600xpm and gpm. Won in 38 minutes. The enemy team had Nyx, Bounty Hunter, Lion, and Earthshaker so I had a rough mid-game what with the stun-locking. I had a total brainfart and got Armlet before BKB which was clearly a dumb move against that line-up. Once I got BKB, though, it was game over -- I could solo kill the whole enemy team. I was also lucky cuz one of my pub teammates counterpicked with Slardar. Definitely fun, though. Good change of pace from farming the whole game.

meh

Educated
Date: Thursday night (2012-08-23) 15:00-00:00 GMT and/or Friday night (2012-08-24) 14:00++ GMT

Best out of 3

Modes:
  • Same mode (AP/SD/RD) - all three games will be played in particular mode, f.e. RD
  • Different modes (AP/SD/RD/CM) - every game will have a different mode (first team chooses one, second game other etc)
  • Butthurt mode (AR/SD/CM) - in the first game everyone MUST random (swap is allowed and encouraged), second game SD, while the third one would be super serious CM
  • kingcomrade mode (CM) - all three games played in CM
Teams:

Random teams (seeded by skill level for balance) or two random captains draft their players in the lobby.

Servers:

Europe or US East. If there are players from US West then naturally we will play on the middle ground - US East etc

How to participate?

Doesn't matter your skill or care level, everyone's encouraged to play. When registering, make sure to describe your skill level so the drafted/randomed teams can be adjusted for balance, region where are you from and approximate time when you would be available. There can be more than 10 people - substitutes, streamers, broadcasters, observers are welcome too even if you don't want to play or just want to spectate.

low - recently started playing; or play very rarely
med - play occasionally
high - play frequently

Players:
1. meh, EU
2. Chef_Hathaway, EU
3. Zed, EU
4. Humppaleka, EU
5. Malakal, EU
6. Merkwürdigliebe, EU
7. Undead Phoenix, EU
??

If Kool Kodex Kontest is successful/worthy, the replay might get LP'ed.
pre-emptive lobby password: kingcomrade

Zed , Castanova , Damned Registrations , Rpgsaurus Rex , hoodoo , kingcomrade , Merkwürdigliebe , Malakal , Dim

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm up tonight. I'll be home at my stationary computer by then as well. like 19:30-00:00 CET would work for me.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I've made a new account with a spare invite, it's

11nO (opposite of On11)

so add me!

I think i'll be up for these times.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Do you mind linking a GMT clock :M
I'm terrible with this stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom