Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What is the community like in Dota2 compared to LoL and HoN?
the worst.
don't play dota for the social interaction.

Seriously?

Worse than LoL?

I didn't think that was possible.
Actually, I wouldn't know because I could only stand playing a couple of games of LoL before I uninstalled. Such a horrible shit game.
The players themselves are no worse than say SC2 or something (in terms of mannerism), but if you put 10 people together chances are you'll get a rotten egg or two.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I cant speak for the Euros, but for the West Coast, Dota 2 seems more chilled out than HoN. The thing with HoN though, as I mentioned previously, is that with conceding, afk kicking, remaking, etc, I feel the possible frustration per game is lower.
Eh, I got a lot of games in HoN though, where one guy loses his lane and then just refuses to play until his team concedes for him. You get a lot less of that in Dota 2. And also you don't have to put up with retards demanding to dictate roles based on KDR or whatever.

Overall the attitude feels about the same. People get more pissed off at eachother but less frequently.

From my experience - the Europe server is a nest of Russians, and I mean a nest with all the negative connotations attached.

I gotta say, stutterstepping in this game is teh hard when it feels like every action lags. I swear WC3 and SC had smoother unit controls.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Last I heard from you raw, League was horrible shit and Dota2 was awesome. Did Valve ban you, too?
turns out he sucked big-time at dota. not a fun game to play when you're complete shit.

as long as you don't click cross-map, the pathing is fine.

I gotta say, stutterstepping in this game is teh hard when it feels like every action lags. I swear WC3 and SC had smoother unit controls.
You mean turn-rate of units? i.e. unit faces noth, you click south, unit turns. I feel it's slower too, but I've gotten used to it.

Damned Registrations

Eh, the pathing is also pretty shit in regards to attacking across barriers. If an enemy is 601 units away from you, with a barrier between you 400 units away from you, when attempting to attack him, rather than walk 1 unit forward to get in range, the character will attempt to move all the way around the barrier. Obviously this comes into play fairly often around the river, or with specific heroes like earthshaker.

Though maybe he's talking about the fact that if someone intentionally tries to physically get in your way while you're moving somewhere, they actually get in your way, unlike LoL where units just sort of flow through eachother like ghosts.

You mean turn-rate of units? i.e. unit faces noth, you click south, unit turns. I feel it's slower too, but I've gotten used to it.
Yes, but I also mean that it feels like there's a delay when I click south before the unit actually begins to turn south. It could be straight up, honest lag - but it's always there.

Damned Registrations

Do you actually have any specific examples of bad pathing whatsoever? Because I can't think of any besides the barrier thing I mentioned. Any other problems generally stem from people not being aware of the terrain they're trying to juke through.

Damned Registrations

Really? I can't ever recall being blocked in by units of any kind while playing LoL. Ever. Creep blocking doesn't work either. Could you find me a clip of someone actually doing this in LoL? Something equivalent to this:

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It works, I assure you. Some champions have passives or actives that let them pass through for a while, but the creep collision is in this game and FUCK THIS HOW MANY TIMES I DIED BECAUSE OF IT.
Sorry but i'm not creepy enough for lurking for some gameplays or streams. But annie's tibbers can block you as fuck.

8be0d7f0a0b02a5dfa5ab720db511e79.jpg

meh

Educated
Anyone up for a game atm? "meh___" steam id, "meh" username.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
why did this just clutter up my gift inventory with 13 units and how do i get rid of this crap?

that's me asking if anyone wants a key, if i wasn't obvious enough.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
No one wants it anymore.

Post in some russian forums

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I finally got rid of all my DotA2 keys, then they send me a truckload more. Steam needs a delete gift button.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yet ANOTHER shitty carry. Ugh. Now I'm convinced they add worst heroes first. Well I guess troll was easy to add since he has no spectacular skills...

Damned Registrations

First? They've already put in more than half haven't they? I'm surprised they took this long for such a simple hero.

But yeah, mediocre carry is mediocre. /nostalgia over permabash heroes.

divinestrength2.jpg

:M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That screen is so bad it hurts. Lowest of low indeed.

But I won (surprisingly) a game with huskar recently. Fun hero if you manage to get that bkb fast enough.

Well the patch is live. And for some retarded reason they changed the name of last played mode to "new hero". Also the DBR system is live as well. It's interesting to see how poor the matchmaking system really can be now that we have statistics to back it up. For example I'm currently in the 98th precentile despite my massive recent losing streak (two full pages of lost games) and even then I keep being paired up with Russian pudge and riki who keeps feeding and insulting the rest of the team. The pudge so bad he can't even land hooks on stationary targets. If these guys are good enough to be considered the 2% best players (or close enough that they would be considered a reasonable match) I don't even want to think about what the lower ratings are like.

So the rest of you, have you checked your rating? How do you feel about the people you get matched with in comparison with that rating? Does it seem that matchmaking is reasonable?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom