Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Redlands

Arcane
I wonder how many people will say "I'm sorry" when the game comes out in January and blows everyone's minds. :smug:

Oh my god! J_C! A bomb!

b69aba087a0bbe350a3c0583070535c1_large.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Saying sorry for not having faith in them and bashing Tim.

What would I have faith in, really? From my perspective they haven't done anything of real merit since Psychonauts and Schafer's reputation with publishers is to spend too much and take too much time to churn out average titles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Saying sorry for not having faith in them and bashing Tim.

What would I have faith in, really? From my perspective they haven't done anything of real merit since Psychonauts and Schafer's reputation with publishers is to spend too much and take too much time to churn out average titles.
Then why did you pledge? Of course if you dont have faith in them and didnt pledged at all, then my comment was not targeted at you.

Stabwound

Arcane
This is my favorite kickstarter game. Not because I want to play it, but because it's obvious already how hilariously it's all going to unfold. Too bad these guys are going to damage the crowdfunding idea so badly, but I'm hoping guys like inXile can make up for it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wonder how many people will say "I'm sorry" when the game comes out in January and blows everyone's minds. :smug:

Will you say "I'm a retard" when the game will be a piece of shit?

Being smug about the quality of an unreleased game. That's a new kind of retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Then why did you pledge? Of course if you dont have faith in them and didnt pledged at all, then my comment was not targeted at you.

I didn't, actually. In before you tell me to shut up, yeah I know.

I care because it's interesting. I get irritated because it's such a flagrant example of irresponsible artists showing why no publisher trusts them, and doing it with a smirk on their face. It's fucking up kickstarter for everyone because Schafer is pulling the same shit with backers that he did with publishers.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some people will believe anything... case in point, people who backed Massive Chalice :smug:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Can't make Broken Age with $6 million. How are they going to make this with $1 million? Could be the first high profile KS to horribly fail.
$1 million is probably easier than 3 actually, since they know from the start to plan for an incredibly bare bones game with only essential features.
Of course it's harder to make a good game with 1/3 of the money, but if your main goal is to finish something and push it out the door, that's no problem.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They had often the advantage of actually coming up with these so called "essential" features, so it felt fresh.

m_s0

Arcane

What's the connection? People are complaining mainly about shitty budgeting on DF's part and the way they handled it might indicate to a consumer/backer/supporter/fan/whatever that the studio doesn't really give a fuck and is perfectly content to just continue reaching for more money - doesn't look pretty, and as a result DF run into the risk of rendering all of those "thanks for making this possible, we'll use the funds well" slogans utterly meaningless. Which, understandably, pisses people off. As far as I'm concerned that says nothing about DF's ability to make a decent game (though their track record seems, well, less than impressive to me).

If it does blow everyone's mind, it'll be despite the fact that Schafer and co somehow managed to fuck things up to the point where they literally have to beg for money about halfway into development. I mean, I like all that artistic hippie stuff about arranging balls as they fall down in order to create something special or however it was Schafer phrased it in the documentary, but you need someone to manage the goddamn thing from a financial standpoint in a fairly competent way or there will be no balls to arrange. This is not rocket science, this is basically 'making anything 101'.

Having written all of that, I'm still willing to side with DF. They fucked up, but I can understand the reasons, even if I think they don't excuse them. Plus, the Grim Fandango credit hasn't run out yet - at least in my case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom