Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

thesoup

Arcane
Technically, making a woman pregnant is not a race.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Precisely why I pulled my pledge. I still hope they create something nice, but I don't have much faith in what we've been given.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Precisely why I pulled my pledge. I still hope they create something nice, but I don't have much faith in what we've been given.
Same here (except I had never pledged). I thought the pitch was fine because they were going to fill the details in with updates, but it turns out they don't exist.

Making up details on the fly ala Shaker or admitting you have none and saying "trust us", which is better worse and why?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I pledged 1 dollar, so I get notified of the updates. I'm dissapointed in this kickstarter. I hope they can make a good game, but they should have handled this better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't make Broken Age with $6 million. How are they going to make this with $1 million? Could be the first high profile KS to horribly fail.

Branm

Learned
Well the devs from Larry are I suppose competent and aren't called DoubleFine.

Now if Tim Shafer mismanages shit THIS bad how will the person behind such quality titles as Brutal Legend etc fare.

I suppose its really a moot point since I'm guessing they will use the 1.1m from this project to finish their first shortened episode of Broken Age.

The name Broken Age actually really makes sense now, wonder how many pieces it will be broken into once all is said and done...

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's impossible to make an adventure game with 6 million dollars. Just ask the devs of the new Leisure Suit Larry game.
I like to give Double Fine the benefit of doubt because almost all Tim Schaffer games are on my list of favorites (with exception of Brutal Legend). But with something like 6 million dollars, Daedalic or Wedjet Eye could make way more than one game. When I discovered that Tim Schafer was a friend of John Romero, I understood everything, two crazy guys, too crazy to deal with money.:lol:

Multi-headed Cow

I've seen people use the argument of "Well they originally planned the game for $400k, but since they got millions they had to adjust the game to those inflated expectations and then went over budget" which is a completely mindblowing stance for someone to take. Though it's mindblowing enough that Double Fine is so bad with money that they went over budget with millions for something they originally planned for $400k anyway. I mean sure, if your Kickstarter goes over the goal you set then use a good chunk of that toward improving the game. But I'm talking something like "Extra frames of animation!" and "A few more areas!" and shit for an adventure game. What the fuck are they even doing?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck are they even doing?

Attempting to make a AAA adventure game with fraction of the budget, financial management skills of the average government entity, big albatross around their neck in the form of the documentary and ill designed physical rewards tiers and with a bunch of backers who did not really support an adventure game but the next cool thing.

The only good thing that can come of this is that they will finally spend all their good rep and will be forced to compete on their own merits, or lack thereof.

(On the plus side they've chosen Steam to scam people of more money, you should be happy ;) )

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how many people will say "I'm sorry" when the game comes out in January and blows everyone's minds. :smug:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I wonder how many people will say "I'm sorry" when the game comes out in January and blows everyone's minds. :smug:

Why say sorry? If they make a game that blows everyone's mind then I'm all for it. Rooting for them to do so even. So far however all we see is one questionable thing after the other.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Why say sorry? If they make a game that blows everyone's mind then I'm all for it. Rooting for them to do so even. So far however all we see is one questionable thing after the other.
Saying sorry for not having faith in them and bashing Tim. I bet they are doing this on purpose, so we are even more suprised at the end.

No, not really. :D

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Eh, frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more of an outrage about the fact that Schafer announced the Broken Age development problems only after this KS concluded. Did they even explicitly deny using MASSIVE CHALICE money to finish Broken Age, like Fargo did for Torment and W2? It all seems really shady to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom